Two New Cory Catfish

Jon

Well the other day i went to nnnnnn, and well, i had to look at the fish and i saw these two cuties. well needless to say, I walked out with them... While i was taking these photos, i put my camera and my skills to the test. they are so small and fast :krazy:

Also, i was wondering what specific kind of cory catfish this is, since ive seen so many different looking ones

STA72199.jpg

STA72200.jpg

STA72202.jpg

STA72203.jpg

I think they may be "False Julli's" as the Julli's have orange dorsal and pectorals fin - hey but I'm no expert!

Yes I think your right. My julli has orange/brown pectoral fins. Maybe it's just hard to see in the pic

What do you mean by 'False Julli'?

As for the Julli and False Julli, sometimes they may be grouped together just as "Jullis". It doesn't really matter, some people are very perdantic and like to differentiate between the two. It may also be a cultural difference calling them different things in different countries. :idont

Like I said before, I'm no expert. :D

A False Julli is it's own sub-species, so named because it looks just like a Julli without the orange. :)

Thanks for that information. I learn something new here everyday. :)

I will try and get a pic of mine later today or tommorrow

When I upgarde my Tropical Tank in the next couple of weeks, I'm going to see if they can order me a CORYDORUS METAE

corydoras_metae_sml.jpg

How pretty are they!!!! Does anyone here have one of these guys? :heart

Yay! Cory cats are always so much fun. I have two cory Julii (they seem popular here) and they're precious to watch zoom around the tank together. I plan on getting more cory cats but right now I am having some problems in my tank and want to work it out first. Congrats :heart

I saw them at the lfs the other day Selena, they were labelled Panda Cories, a variation on the albino. In real life the ones I saw were more white than yellow but my albino bristlenose is the same yellowy colour.

Yep, the ones I've seen look like your second pic.

The black markings on both your pics are very similar so I wonder if it's the same sub-species, I'm not familiar with their latin names. The yellow colouring may be a subtle variation on the white or perhaps it's a trick of the lighting/camera. I'll do a search and see what comes up.

Here is a pic courtesy of corydorasworld.com - it shows the corydouras metae as having white scales rather than the yellow in your first pic. So, I guess Panda Cory is the layman's term for these fish and they can be yellow or white.

http://www.corydorasworld.com/corydoras/m/corydoras_metae

:blink: Well,I thought I posted here once when Annette pmed me,but apparently I pressed a wrong button or something.This is my work week,so I don't get much sleep. :krazy:

Anyway,the Cories are cute!

As far as I know,there are now over 120 species of Cories,and unless you have a very well trained eye,it is often quite difficult to figure out some of these species.I've owned Cories most of my life,,have about 12 or more different types in my tanks,and over 100 of them,and yet I still have an awful hard time distinguishing the species. :blink: The spotted/marked ones are the hardest for me.

My first thoughts when I saw those two were Corydoras trilineatus.Now like I said though,I'm no expert at all,so don't quote me on that. :yeah:http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/image.php?image_id=996

Trouble is ,is that there are so many spotted Cories that at first glance,alot of them do look alike.I actually have 2 that I've had for years,and I'm still not positive that I know what they are.

. :rofl I can tell you about breeding/care/etc.,but identifying is a weakness for me. :blink:

Oh gosh Shaz, now I'm really confused, they all look the same. :thud

edit: OK Shaz, it looks like you were onto something with the trilineatus. I emailed Ian Fuller from corydorasworld.com about the julii's and this was his response:

"Hi Annette, This is a problem that has been around for many years, firstly the true Corydoras julii come from a tributary of the Rio Parnaiba in eastern Brazil. The false julii I believe to be Corydoras trilineatus, which is very similar in colour pattern, but comes from Peru, Ecuador and Western Brazil, and is found in five or six different rivers. Most of the rivers C. Trilineatus is found linked together at some time during the year (usually at the height of the rainy season), because of the distribution of this species there have evolved a number of different colour forms from bold wavy bands and streaks to quite fine sots. This has triggered a variety of common or trade names, this has probably been done by collectors/exporters in an attempt to generate more trade. The name julii is more popular and probably more easier to remember than trilineatus and most of the fish exported whether from the eastern or western areas are almost always called C. julii."

Very interesting, so it seems orange fins have nothing to do with julii's and false julii's (trilineatus). It would take an expert like Ian to tell the difference so nobody really knows whether they are getting a julii or a trilineatus.

Many thanks to Ian Fuller for this information. http://www.corydorasworld.com

Archived