Koizyme

Scott

I'm not sure if anyone outside of the U.S. can get this stuff? If you can, GET IT for your pond. If you follow the directions, dose your pond once a week (which is what I used to do) you should not have any problems with aeromonis and psuedomonis which are common cause of ulcers. Here is the link.

http://www.koizyme.com/learnaboutlymno.html

I'm posting this because it is really heart breaking to see a fish that you love suffer and then if they don't make it it's twice as hard. This is good stuff, it's expensive yes but it's worth it. I used it for two years and never had problems. The koi dealer I bought it from has been using it for 5 years and he said he's not had sick fish since. If you live in an area that gets cold in the winter you know about the worries of winter turning into spring. You never know what is going to happen because your fish immune system shuts down when the water temp dips below 70. When the water starts to warm in the spring but the immune system isn't running your fish are not protected if aeromonis or pseudominis exist in your pond.

Okay I know this sounded like a commercial, I don't sale this stuff lol just trying to help others before they need more serious help with a sick fish.

Scott

Erika, yes you'll have to order online unless you have a koi dealer near you. You should do a search to find it at a cheaper price. This stuff also does have a shelf life so you want to make sure you don't get old! You'll also need to refrigerate it. Whom ever your order it from should send it in a box with something to keep it cool. Of course this time of year it should be okay.

Scott

so you want to make sure you don't get old!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tooooooooo late! :rofl

Seriously though, thanks for the info on this stuff... I guess I didn't know that springtime was a hotzone for this kind of stuff. This will be my first spring and these fish have lived with me for many years, so I will do anything to keep them happy.

Jude, did you buy this stuff because of the ulcer issue? Or did you have it before?

Hi erika, i bought it 3 weeks ago on scott's advice...i've had the ulcer problem since july unfortunately so hopefully this will protect the pond this spring. definitely invest in some these ulcers are horrendous!

Jude

yes Erika you deffinately want to be proactive on this. Ulcer are aweful and once they get them it is so difficult to get it under control. It can be done but it's a lot of work and can get costly. When your water starts to warm in the spring you should probably salt, I generally get mine up to .6%. I know that isn't good for the plants but it does help the fish. Since you don't have the koizyme in the pond now it would be a good idea to remember to salt in the spring. Did you do a thorough cleaning in the fall? If so your probably in good shape just make sure you do a good cleaning in the spring as well. Also salt.

Jude, yeah your supposed to keep it in the fridge. If left out the shelf life is a lot less. You just don't want it to freeze.

That is really good to know. I have heard about this but have never used it myself. I actually haven't dealt with ulcers in my pond (knock wood) but I'm sure I will at some point.

Now for a dumb question? are goldfish as susceptible to the ulcers as the koi? We have both in our pond but it seems that you hear about the ulcers more with koi.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived