Why Are My Other Gf Being Mean?

Guest spacecadet

Guest spacecadet

I have had all 3 of my gf for several months, they have all done just fine together but today is different.

Today my 2 smaller gf are chasing and nipping at my goldie.Does anyone know why they would do this? Sooo confused and worried thanks :blink:

Has there been any temperature changes at all?

How large is your tank?

How large are your fish?

Some possibilities for this behavior are attempts at breeding, stressed by the size of tank, or feelings of territory. So please, describe a little bit more about your pets' situation. :)

Guest spacecadet

Well there have been slight changes in the temp.,in has fluctuated both up and down. My tank is 10 gal. and my moore is 1 1\2 in body 2 inch tail, my calico is just a lil bigger than the first but not by much and goldie is a big 2in body 3in tail and wide always has been bigger than the others. The others do not seem to have any breeding barnicles or anything...yet. I am just worried that something may be wrong with my goldie and they are picking on it does that happen? They all have gotten along just fine till today,which they barely quit to eat. thanks for you help :)

Ok, first thing I see is that you are overcrowded. GF need 10-20 gals minimum to thrive and live healthy and happily.

So you mention that you don't think it is breeding behavior, males don't have to have stars right away to chase females. So I wouldn't eliminating it yet. Especially since it just started today.

That said, it could be territory issues. We know that you are over stocked, so it would be best to seperate them if they are chasing this fish to the point of life threatening issues.

Are you planning to upgrade?

Can you give more information as too their environment?

Guest spacecadet

Well I do understand that their habitat is too small I have mentioned this quite a lot to my husband and I do plan to get a larger tank(finally). I have been reading and learning a lot about gf through this site it has been a lifesaver to aquire this info. I do monitor and test the tank now ,I have a 20-40 gal pump on it now -I do water changes every 2 days and a 50 once a week. my nitrate is 0 ,nitrite is 0-0.5, tot.hard.:120, tot.alk.:120, ph 6.4-6.8, amonia is about 1.0 temp is 74

well since laurie has said every thing i was gonna say, i wont say it but i am gonna point out that your tank is going through a cycle. ammonia and nitrite should be 0 and nitrate should be under 20. when amonia levels are up as well as nitrite, it can be stressful to the fish and it can lead to other health problems :)

Ok, understood about the tank, but that is likely a big deal with the fish.

I see that the water quality is very bad, this is making things alot worse for you and them.

As Peaches said the tank is still cycling, which can be very hard and stressful on the fish. It can even kill them, so with that in mind you are going to have to bump up water changes.

Most likely 50-75% each day to maintain any type of water quality for them.

I know that is alot, and you are doing so much. But I have to be honest with you.

Are you familar with a tank's cycle?

Guest spacecadet

Well I am familiar with cycling of the tank I was pretty sure that it had stabilized in its cycling. I do not mind 50-75 water changes a day it isnt too much to do and will do so until i get my new tank on my birthday tomorrow, but I do know i need to get the new tank right before putting in my fish for their sake not mine. So do you agree that it would be better to get a 30+ tank or to seperate them. I dont want them to be lonely. Thank you all for your help :heart

If it were me I would put them all in the new bigger tank, then if the problem still occurs put the fish being picked on back in this tank.

If your tank had cycled it isn't now, so you'll have to figure out why it crashed on you.

For that water is deadly like it is.

Happy Bday!!!

Well there have been slight changes in the temp.,in has fluctuated both up and down. My tank is 10 gal. and my moore is 1 1\2 in body 2 inch tail, my calico is just a lil bigger than the first but not by much and goldie is a big 2in body 3in tail and wide always has been bigger than the others. The others do not seem to have any breeding barnicles or anything...yet. I am just worried that something may be wrong with my goldie and they are picking on it does that happen? They all have gotten along just fine till today,which they barely quit to eat. thanks for you help :)

I find when Punch is in the breeding mood the front edges of his front fins get the characteristic little white bumps showing up- but just as a side note- do you really have 3 Goldies of that size in one 10 gallon tank? I just do not know how you keep them alive. I started with a 10 gallon with one Gold and - because of Bio shifts in ammonia etc and the fact that a small tank like that- any change - rather small, can be detrimental to their well being- Punch is definately spoiled- an alpha male with a planted 28 gallon tank and two XP4 filters- I do not know how you do it- or for that matter how they do it- If you do not see sores or the other fiah is acting normal- - yes- a studio apartment with two generations living together would get a little on the nearves to any of us as well LOL

Eric

My first thoughts in all of this,is the lack of space for three decent sized fish and the poor water quality.Fish will get a bit fiesty if they feel that they're fighting for space.Fish also know when other fish aren't up to par,and feeling a bit under the weather,and like most fish,human/animal nature will take over and sometimes you'll find the bigger/stronger,or healthier,will pick on the weaker fish.It's also not always the case that it's the bigger ones doing the picking as one of my smallest Ranchu's is sometimes one of the biggest fin nippers and a bully.Now I'm not saying that this is your personal situation,I'm just saying that it's a possibility.

I would think that after 3 months,you would have had your tank cycled by now. It's much healthier and safer to do a fishless cycle,but in reality,when I cycle with fish,the tank normally cycles pretty fast for me.Overstocking is always going to give you param problems,but you also have to consider how much/how often water changes are being done,along with gravel vacs, how many times you feed a day,etc.Another thing to look into is the size /Brand of the filter you are using.Often times,beginner's with fish, overstock a tank,and have a minimal filter trying to take care of the wasteload not realizing just how messy goldfish are,and that they need a much bigger filter for them.These are all factors that can take a tank's params and wreak havoc on them. :blink:

THe best thing would be to get the largest tank that you can afford, as continuing to upgrade as your fish grow can become quite costly. I had one Oranda baby grow almost 9 1/2 inches in her first year and a half of life,so believe me when I say that they can grow pretty fast. :D I'm not sure what your third fish is-is it a Common or a comet?If so,they need an even bigger tank than fancies.

Before you purchase this tank,get an idea on what size you can afford,and then spend some time and really make sure that you do purchase a filter that is going to provide at least 10 x's filtration or more for the tank size that you get,as that's very important in maintaining healthy goldies.

For now,I would up the water changes until you're seeing 0 readings for any ammonia/Nitrites,as even having smaller numbers of these are unhealthy for your fish over any period of time. I would also test the water out of the tap to see what your PH is,and if your water contains any nitrites/nitrates etc.,before you even add it to the fish.Your ph is really low,and it's a good idea to know what it reads when it comes out of the tap also.

I know I've gone on a bit with things,but they're all really important to be aware of when purchasing .If you research a bit,it will save you alot of money---I know from experience.When I started years ago,I had no clue and was always replacing with bigger/better. UGH!!! The money I've spent.

I think you'll have to work on some of these issues,to help determine what exactly may be going on with your fish.Have you read any of the threads about people using Rubbermaid container's to help their overstocking problems?That's another way to look until you are able to buy that bigger tank.

I personally would consider doing something if the nipping and such continues though,for those could lead into other problems such as bacterial from injuries sustained.

It sure is alot more work than people realize to maintain and keep goldies healthy and happy,but it can be done with a little patience,alot of research,and alot of determination.Don't overwhelm yourself though---try and get that water in pristene conditiones and we'll go from there. ;)

Just a thought, but maybe while all this is going on I would lower the feedings too! Maybe a little food every other day to let your water "catch up".

And don't worry, we'll all help you thru this! ((And know that MOST of us started right where you are...... too much fish & not enough water!!)) :) I even saw an aquarium kit the other day & the picture on the box showed the little aquarium with SEVERAL goldies in it...like five or six!! :o

Guest spacecadet

I really do thank everyone for all yall's help on all of this.I apparently was under the wrong impression of how the water condition really was-the only thing water wise I have been conserned with lately has been the amonia,the water appears to be nice and clear because I am very insistant on keeping as to what I thought was ok. I have now been doing the changes everyday for the fish,my filter was bad so I have changed it I have a 20-40 gal pump filter now it has helped for me to seem to some what help me to keep up with the fish,I do not know the actual amount of food to feed my fish it has been very confusing to me.I was worried for a long time i was over feeding and makin them sick but I have cut back and have them on a normal scheduale but Im still unsure on if im doing it correctly. I use stress zyme and prime I believe on my water to treat it I do not like the second one that is used because it is recomended not to be used on edible fish!!!!

Why would I want to poison my pets? These guys are my babies can anyone recomend something better and help me with feeding? Also what are the actual right stats on my tester kits because earlier in this blog I assumed that it was all ok what is wrong and can you help to fix it. I agreed with you all on the socialness of my gf they are super social and extremely comical so I do not want to seperate them.My husband still does not believe that I need a new tank we have now had several arguements about this-he claims that since the tank we bought them from was smaller and filled more that we dont need it I could use some help on this issue...Please also I believe I should keep them in the original tank till the new ones ready am I right and how do I do this? :cry1 p.s they are all getting along gust fine for now...

Spacecadet, it is ok we understand how misleading clerks can be at the stores. They are uneducated about the care of gf, they lump all fish togther and gf are unique in their care.

The important things to have for keeping track of the water are a ammonia test, nitrites and nitrate kit along with a ph kit.

It is important that you read up on the biological cycle of a tank. This can be found in the water chem area.

A cycled tank should be ammonia and nitrites 0 and nitrates between 10-20.

I know that it is hard to seperate them, but really they are severly overcrowded. Imagine living 3 people into a 10x10 single room apartment..........you would get on each others nerves. ;)

ONce you test your water post the results, for now I am going to move your thread to the diagnosing area there it will get more attention.

Oh, also could you not post in small funny print, it makes it very difficult to read for us members who have reading issues........(as we get older what is the saying, the eyes are the first to go......) :D

Archived