Crushed Coral And Baking Soda

Hi,

I have a low ph 6.8. So I add baking soda whenever I do the water change. I also put a bag of crushed coral in the filter. My question is Do I need both baking soda and crushed coral to raise PH or one is enough? Thanks.

Personally I stick to just coral gravel as baking soda is only a quick fix it isn't much good for long term management of low pH.

Crushed coral is better for longer term pH control (as it will dissolve very slowly and last a long time). Baking soda is probably better for a quick fix, but may result in more rapid changes in pH after you dose the tank or do subsequent water changes. I believe that baking soda can bring the pH up to a little over 8, so be careful.

Best way to bring water to be tested is in an inert container (like glass) filled to the brim with little or no airspace.

Dennis

• 2 months later...

i dont know whats going on with my pH in my tap water lately. the tap water in my kitchen has been reading 6.4 pH. usually my pH in my 55gal is 7.0 and lately it's been dropping to 6.8 - 6.4 . I've been using ProperPh7.5, but seems like Rick's Buff-it-Up works much better. Last night my pH was 6.4 and after 2 hrs with two continueous dosage, I was able to bump the pH to 6.8 . But its still low. I'm thinking about going to vvvv today and pick up some Crushed Coral and place them in my Rena xP3 canister. I usually do 25% water change every sunday.

• 2 weeks later...

alright! i upgraded my rena xp3 canister to xp4. i now have space to put in new media. i added crushed coral last night and tonight i checked the pH. pH is now 7.2. WOOHOO!! all my fish looks more lively now.

crush coral really, really, works :D

My LFS also advised the use of crushed coral. I've been using Buff-It-Up from Goldfish Connection and it's been keeping the pH in my goldfish tank around 7.2 (with double dosing). I guess we New Yorkers just have to deal with soft acidic water. I've tested kH and it runs around 1dH. I will have to give crushed coral a try.

Archived