Bacterial/fungul Infections From Freeze Dryed Bloodworms?

Celeste123

Can feeding freeze dryed blood worms possibly give a bacteria/fungul infection? My two oranda's and 1 lionhead can't seem to shake something like that (on new meds now) and I just read that they can get those kinds of infections through live bloodworms, think they could from freeze dryed ones as well? I occasionally feed them those.

I don't know for sure, but there are far too many reports and questions like yours where fish succumb a mystery illness after being fed bloodworm.

So I personally avoid them at all cost with my goldies as the unkown is too risky, although I do feed them along with brine shrimp to my glass catfish (who prefer 'live' foods).

hmm, now thats interesting. When my boyfriend found out how allergic some people are to bloodworms, he did masive research on them, and found out that freeze dryed ones are a lot less likely to contain any kind of harmful agencies, I mean how could they, its freeze dryed! But the evidence exists lol, anyone else know anything?

hmm, now thats interesting. When my boyfriend found out how allergic some people are to bloodworms, he did masive research on them, and found out that freeze dryed ones are a lot less likely to contain any kind of harmful agencies, I mean how could they, its freeze dryed! But the evidence exists lol, anyone else know anything?

Whoops I'm actually feeding them frozen blood worms...My eyes are a little wonky today apparently.

This is a good question. I have a suspicion that any new food can give some fish an adverse reaction. The first time I fed freeze dried bloodworms one of my fish almost immediately developed red tinges in his white fins.

I never fed them again. It wasn't all the fish so I thought maybe it was an allergy.

thats the way it was with mine! I have a white oranda and a white lionhead and they got red flushes on their tails which began red streaks, and the orande oranda hardley had anything at all. Well, I believe their bloodworm days are over, just tobe safe.

Can feeding freeze dryed blood worms possibly give a bacteria/fungul infection? My two oranda's and 1 lionhead can't seem to shake something like that (on new meds now) and I just read that they can get those kinds of infections through live bloodworms, think they could from freeze dryed ones as well? I occasionally feed them those.

Quite so- sewer water is used to get them growing --and the older style freeze dried - but when treated does not get rid of all the bacterial problems- Hikari has a new proces for bloodworms- giving a much softer afterproduct- not all dried up -0 and at the same time is much safer than the old treatments.

Eric

I'm not a fan of bloodworm in any form because i've been burnt with the frozen kind. I lost 2 of my guys to a nasty bacterial infection while 2 survived with heavy bacterial meds. I fed frozen bloodworm to only to these 4 which is why i know it was the bloodworm. Thankfully I didn't feed it to all 21 of my adult fish or it would've been messy. Apparently the drying process kills any bacteria so it should be safe enough but I just don't want to ever risk it again ....

wow, thats terrible. I believe I may cut them out of the goldfish diet then, because it did seem like I had gotten rid of that infection, and then poof, its back again after some more bloodworm feedings. Thats too bad the fish love them.

You think I should stop feeding them to my bettas too? They aren't showing any problems, they might not be suseptible to it like the goldfish....

I'm thinking about doing the same which is a shame, the fish go crazy for them. I'm feeding medi gold right now and hope it sorts out my big fella's. :(

Ahh but we are responsible for their health and wellbeing - Trey the Hikari Bloodworm product and tell what you think of it.

I'm thinking about doing the same which is a shame, the fish go crazy for them. I'm feeding medi gold right now and hope it sorts out my big fella's. :(

Check out the new hikario processed bloodworms - new processing other than freeze dried.

Archived