Crazy Mountain Minnows In Danger Of Drowning!

Guest urbanangel85

Guest urbanangel85

my mountain minnows must be crazy,there all suicidal :yikes . in the last three days ive had to remove two mountain minnows from out of behind the filter.they really wedge themselfs in there and each time i was sure that they were dead :krazy: .but once i free them they just swim away,the lil gits :rolleyes: !every time i see them there all still and pale my heart breaks. i dont know why they keep doing it.at first i thought it was either the flow ,current or suction from the filter getting them stuck there but it was neither. its lucky that im continuously counting them to see if there all there,so they've all been saved quite quickly.but i really worry there'll do it when im out or asleep,then they'll drown,i would hate for one to die. does anyone have any ideas on how to stop them getting there? i was thinking of packing the gaps out with silcone,but then i wont be able to remove it or clean it. also i was wondering how long would they survive being trapped ,without coming to the surface for air.i know they dont really come up for air but,do you know what i mean? how long would they take to drown?if indeed they can drown? im all confused now. im just worried about at night and when i go away for two nights to my mums for xmas.i would hate to come home boxing day and find them dead.there are many things i want for xmas but new fish arent one of them.all help most appreciated ,cheers xxx

Your fish won't drown but if they get stuck they could get hurt and die. I can't see your set up to give you ideas on how to fix the problem but maybe you need a different kind of filter.

If your worred about your fish while your gone take the filter out and just use an air stone or sponge filter.

that is what happened to my friend. she had a tank with a few mountain minnows in with an elite stingry filter, and we kept finding them dead, stuck behind (or even half inside!) the filter. i dont know why they tried to get behind the filter, but it was quite close to the tank wall so i wonder if they had just tried to swim behind it and got stuck? or it may have been that that particular filter 'sucks' all around (from the sides as well as the bottom) so maybe they got sucked behind it?

if you cant get a new filter, try moving it to a different place in the tank and blocking up the space behind it with some plants or something, so they cant get in.

Archived