Two Fish, One Ponderous Question

IloveSpaceboy

This is Poe, my little orphan, I was just wondering if he was a Crowned Pearlscale or not, the crown is a wen right? Also, have the top of his tail fin been trimmed? He's always swimming around so I never noticed the odd shape of the top of his tail.

Poe-Post.jpg

This is Phoenix. I believe she's an oranda, but she has doubled in size and what I thought was the beginning of a wen hasn't become any larger. So I'm curious if what I'm seeing is in fact a wen. She's turning more orange, lol.

PhoenixPost.jpg

The first one certainly looks like a crown pearlscale. She's one of the rescue fish isn't she? If so she's still small but will hopefully develop a wen. The second one looks like an oranda. Some fish will grow their body before the wen starts to grow

Wen growth is influenced alot by genetics and to a lesser extent by diet and water conditions. My orange oranda Sade's wen didn't start to grow until she was over a year old. It grew slowly at first and literaly exploded in growth after about 18 months. On the other hand my calico oranda had a small wen when I got him a year ago and it has been growing ever since. It now completely covers his eyes.

Archived