My Biggest Fear Came True!

Sushi67

Wow, my little Bichir grew an inch already and last night I noticed the goldies had some tiny tears in the bottoms of their tail fins. Nothing bad for the goldies since it took some time for me to even notice and confirm that they were tears. Even though they were minor tears I don't want to take anymore chance so I set up the 10 gallon for the senegal bichir. He seems to like his new home. He is already poking his head around in the dirt looking for food. He doesn't have any fancy ordaments yet because I was in a hurry. I just cut up some fake house plants and used an ordament from the betta fry tank.

I wasn't sure about using salt with him in the tank so that is why I chose to move him so fast or else I would have waited till the weekend. Now I can go give the goldies some salt.

Here are picture of his new home

tank3.png

tank2.png

The cute but bad boy

bichir2.png

Bichir3.png

Bichir1.png

I will have to buy him some sand when I get the chance. For now I figure that large rocks are best because he can't get them into his mouth.

Do you think I should put my 5 inch Raphael cat in with him?

Are the bichir at all similar to the siamese (chinese) algae eaters? They look alike.

If they are related then I'm not surprised it attacked your goldfish, they attack everything, even each other. I wuldn't put anything else in there with it.

No, the Bichir is related to pikes and grows 12 inches long. They only get along with certain fish. Cats are good because they have spines nad can protect themselves , goldfish can't protect themselve. I know people keep these guys with aros and oscars.

EDIT: BTW- I had siamese algae eaters and mine were very placid. They lived with betta fish but wouldn't eat so they died. :(

Yeah!

Nice tank for the naughty lucky boy.

If you put anything in with him he will probably attack it because he thinks it's how you get a home improvement. Haha!

lol! Thanks for the good laugh! I needed that after a rough day! :D

Some more pictures.

Look how different the florescent bulb on the 20 gallon is compared to the normal 15 watt bulb on the 10 gallon. I prefer the brownish look though. Looks more natural to me, thats why I will be getting a new bulb when I get money. It too bright!!! Algae loves the 20 gallon because of how bright that bulb is.

lolo.png

Clear picu. I managed to hold the camera still. The tank looks so flat but I guess it looks ok for a 20 minute job.

lololo.png

I want a 100 gallon so bad! If I did my measurements right, that counter is big enough for one. I think a 90 gallon would be a safer fit. V-V sucks that I have to wait till 16 to get a job.

Sorry about the Bichir. Polypterus prefer the lower light.

You can go ahead and put your raphael with him. It shouldn't bother the goldfish but it will be easier to make sure the two are fed (as they are both slow and pretty much bottom feeders)

I think we had mentioned before that the bichirs are in fact fish eaters, and you will always run that risk when you have him in with docile fish. And yes, they do prefer dim light, and the heavy planting will help.

I think we had mentioned before that the bichirs are in fact fish eaters, and you will always run that risk when you have him in with docile fish. And yes, they do prefer dim light, and the heavy planting will help.

Raphaels aren't docile. Right away the bichir went a nipped the cats pectoral fin and the cat hit the bichir pretty good with his spines. Now the bichir is avoid the catfish. We are going to start building a 600 gallon arowana and oscar pond in spring. The 10 gallon is only temp.

The 15 watt is very dim so I don't have a problem there. I read that they don't like many plants but perfer a lot of wood.

Polypterus shouldn't be housed with large, aggressive fish (Arowana/Oscar) if that was the plan. If they ever try to venture out to feed/roam around, they'll be pummeled if not killed. They do best in a large community/semi-aggressive community... I.E Bala sharks, Fasciatus, large rainbows, silver dollars, etc.

SusanH- In a different forum I found many people who keep bichirs with Arowanas. Not as many keep them with Oscars but I found a lot that keep them with Arowanas. Also, they said that if oscars are provided with enough room, they will leave fish alone because senegals are bottom dwellers.

If the aro that I plan on buying(15+ inch) and a pair of Oscars(full adults) are well behaved like they are at the pet store, then the bichir shouldn't have a problem. At the small store near here they keep an aro, two oscars, an 18 inch common pleco and some large type of black catfish all together. None apeer to be aggressive towards each other and none have wounds or scars.After all the bichir would have a better shot in a 600 gallon pond with an arowana and two oscars rather than a 10 gal tank.

Fishmerised- Oscars are tropical. They do need heater water. I live in So Cal. Its only cold here for a few weeks during the winter. I would bring the fish inside the garage if it got a little to cold.

The pond should be 8 feet x 4 feet x 2 1/2 feet.(If I'm right, thats just under 600 gallons. 580-599 gallons) There will be a plexigalss/glass/acrylic window on the front. It will be kind of like a display tank at sea world! :rofl

Archived