Zeke Not Doing Well

bettaqueen

:( Sorry to be a bearer of bad news but I think my betta Zeke may be on his way out. I think he is dying of old age. I have only had him a short time but have grown quite attached to him. The person who gave him to me told me he was 3 years old when I got him , so I am thinking it might be from age. He looks normal and acted normal last night but this morning he has been doing a lot of bottom sitting and not coming up for air that much. I tried catching him with a net this a.m. to look and him and he did not even fight it. Usually when I try to catch him with a net to change his water he fights me like crazy and I have a hard time catching him. But this morning it was like he was not fighting at all. He just kinda laid there still in the net when he is usually flopping around trying to get out of the net. I will have to update you tomorrow. Hopefully he will still be alive after I get home from work.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hiya Kris,I pmed you back by the way.So you haven't seen any signs of sickness up until now?No other odd behaviors leading up to this?

On Pet Store Betta's,it's always a guess on the age they will last.Alot has to do with genetics,care,etc.Sometimes in the LFS's,I've seen alot of older Betta's being sold too.The thing is that we don't know their background,how they were treated and raised,what they've been fed,and their quality of life in general,so it is really hard to determine exactly how long the average Betta from there will live.

Remind me again of Zekes set-up and water maintainance schedule.Do you use a heater on his tank?What are his temps?

Thanks Devs. I just pmd you back. He is in a 1 gallon tank with undergravel filter and air pump. The hood has a light that I keep on during the day to help warm the water. I believe his tank is around 72 degrees, I use spring water for his water changes. I have used treated tap water a couple times. He gets fed twice a day and eats ocean's betta shakers pellets (one of my prize package goodies from the annual kgw betta awards) and gets the occassional freeze dried blood worm as a treat. He gets his water changed once a week. I had planned on getting him a mini heater on friday and had arranged to buy a new 2.58 gallon tank for him on Saturday from someone.

Hopefully the mini heater and larger tank helps somewhat.

I just recently had someone from the local high school drop me off 2 Betta's that belonged to a teacher.(Right after I go buy 2,of course :rolleyes: )

I noticed that a couple of my tiny tank heaters aren't working properly,so right now these 2 Betta's are in containers until I can replace them.I use a light also to help maintain warmer temps but this morning I noticed that the temp dropped 4 degrees after I turned the light off,which to me isn't really good,so they may have to go into the Tropical tanks until I set up their own tanks again. I was really not trying to pull all those little 5 gallon tanks out again. :thud

I know that you''re further south than me,but recently our weather's gotten much colder and seems to be affecting the guys temps alot.

It's really hard to say what's going on with Zeke now.It could be that he in fact is an older Betta,may be the colder weather,etc.I'd just try and keep close tabs on him and watch for any odd behavior's/swelling,frayed fins,etc. I hope the Big Guy is okay. :)

Thanks Devs . I am hoping for the best too. Like I said I really got attached to him. His container is on my night stand next to the bed. there is a heating vent not to far away from there that I had hopes would also keep the water warmer along with the light. I may have to get him the heater tonight even though I really do not have the money till Friday. Hopefully he will be alive when I get home tonight. :please:please I know I am nuts but I talk to him all the time, he is my little swimming confident

Thanks everyone .That is what I love about kokos, we are one big family and when one person is hurting we all feel for them. Thanks for all you kind words. Blue thanks for asking but I won't know how Zeke is doing till I go home from work tonight at about 7:00 pm. I was thinking about going home at lunch time to check on him but did not think I could make it back to work in time before my lunch was over. I said I prayer and I am hoping he is o.k. when I get home. If he is doing o.k. I plan on getting him the heater. That may be what his problem is, cause I turn the light off at night and back on in the morning. Maybe it was just too cold for him. I think I will try turning the heat up in m y apartment while I am at work, and leaving the light on 24/7 untill I can get his heater in a day or so. I know leaving the light on all the time is not good but it may keep his water warm enough till I can get him his heater.

I hope Zeke starts feeling better! I just thought I'd let you know what symptoms my 4 year old betta showed when he died this summer of old age. He began to fade in color he was almost grey and instead of swimming about he would just sit on a leaf all day long and in the end he just wouldn't eat. I hope that he's just feeling a bit chilly and will hang around for a good long time for you!

Thanks Maceo that helps me. It may just be the cold then. He ate this morning so he still has an appetite. I saw him poo last night so I know he is not constipated. He may have just been shocked with the temp of the water. I am hoping that is all it is. I would hate to lose my good buddy Zeke

I thought I would all update you on Zeke. When I got home from work last night he was bottom sitting again. He is half black and blue . Well last night I noticed that his black coloring ( on his head and neck area) had faded badly . I did a one hundred percent water change . He had a little bit more fight in him than yesterday morning. I increased the temp in the apartment and left the light on his tank on all night. He did not eat or seem even interested in eating last night. That is unusual for him because he usually gobbles everything up and begs for more. Usually he flares at me if I just put my finger on the glass of his tank.Now he darts away when I touch the tank or try to get him to flare with a mirror. Not at all like him. He usually flares at everything. He did try to evade the net a little bit yesterday when I was trying to get a good look at him. He seems to want to go in one or the other corner and stick his face in the marbles. During the night I rolled over in the direction of the nightstand ( he is in a one gallon filetered tank on my nightstand next to my bed) and noticed he was seeing himself in the tank glass and flaring at himself.This morining he has most of his color back but continues to bottom sit and has no interest in eating and will not flare and is darting again but is more active than yesterday. I was chalking it up to his age 3 years plus, but I am beginning to wonder if he doesn't have some kind of internal bacterial infection or something. He did poo on Tuesday evening so he is not constipated. Do any of you more experienced betta keepers have any ideas? I was thinking of maybe starting him on an antibiotic or interanl parasite med. any suggestions

Another idea is add some liquid fish vitamins to his tank.They help stimulate appetite.I do that when my fish are a bit under the weather.

It depends on what you have available in US.I use waterlifes vitazin or Sera's Fishtamin.You will probably have no probs getting the sera one I think waterlife is only available in UK.The vitamins will help boost his immune system and prevent him becoming deficient in essential vitamins he needs.I hope Zeke gets better soon.

Wish I was near you I could have loaned you my spare heater as I'm not using it just now it would of helped till you got yours.

I'm not too sure what's going on with him either Kris :( Other than the lethargy, loss of colour and not eating so well, is he showing other symptoms - those sound quite behavioural, which is why I thought it might be age related, but is there anything else/any other physical symptoms that might point toward a bacterial infection or parasites? Have a really good look at him.

I agree with the others, a constant non-flutuating temperature may help him, so a heater would be good if you could manage it. Whats the tank temp now? Water quality is the other major factor and you've done some recent water changes so that should be OK, do you have any test kits at all Kris? Whats the Ph?

Other than managing the environemental things, in the absence of any other sysmptoms you could try low dose salting (0.05-0.1%) just to see if that perks him up?

If he's eating at all, then I agree with Bue some medicated food of some description (I would go with a anitibacterial one for now) might help. I'm really not sure other than that :( I hope someone else can offer some more advice. Keep us updated Kris.

BTW I believe it's unlikely that the freeze dried bloodworms could have passed anything on, especially with a well-known brand like that, not impossible though I suppose.

Thanks Mr.B. I am going to get him a heater and the bigger tank. As far as the ph. I usely use spring water which I tested it out as 7.0 with no amonia, nitrate or nitrite ( and believe all spring water is not created the same, one brand I tried had .5 nitrates in it.) Last night I went ahead and used Jungle labs betta buddies and some tap water for the water change. He has had treated tap water before. What gets me is this just happened overnite. The day before he was acting and eating fine. I don't know the params of the treated tap water. Would have to get back to you on that. I did have a big test kit but gave it to a friend of mine who has multiple tropical tanks in his house, when I broke down my goldie tank. I think I will try the salt. You think a teaspoon per his one gallon tank? I am going to try that for a couple weeks. What concerns me is this change came on suddenly. That why I was thinking it was something other than age. the person who had him before me had him in an unheated tank on an end table.

Archived