Sick Fish!

Guest mary-ann

Guest mary-ann

i came home to find one of my fish sitting at the bottom of the tank, the other one is fine though, the sick one (sam) is moving around ocasionayl and eating, the water is:

PH7.5

ammonia-0.0

nitrite-0.0

nitrate-0.5

my filter isn't working, well it isn't giving out bubbles, could this be a problem? sam has a bit of ragged fins, what does this mean?

i did have a snail problem about a month ago, i put some sanils in teh tank to eat the algae, but some of the fish died from eating them because i think the fish had parasites. could it be the snails agian?

what do i do about it?

:ill:ill:ill

Sorry to hear you are having problems. Could you provide the rest of the information?

How long has the filter not been working?

Have you done a recent water change?

What is the time frame on the snails?

What size is this tank? How long has this tank been set up?How long has your filter been giving you problems?What make is the filter?Is any water draining out of it at all?What is the tanks temps?

As for Sam's ragged fins,it could be a number of things,from poor water quality/to Ornaments/to Parasites.We'd have to know a bit more on your normal tank maintainance etc.

Guest mary-ann

the tank has been running for 2 years, the filter has not been working for about two weeks, there is a flow of water but no bubbles. i am reluctant to buy a new one because i think it should last longer, i have had it for about 1 year and a bit. how often are you supposed to replace filters, shall i buy another one? the filter is a clear jet make, there are two fish in the tank, and i don't understand what you mean with the time frame of the snails. i havn't seen any since about a month ago. i think i got rid of them when i did a tourough vacume or the tank and cleaned the glass and ornaments, i havn't seen one since.

I just wanted to know when the snail episode all began (the timeframe). Thanks.

It could be that the snails brought in something to the fish. But it is also possible that the filter not working properly is a problem.

In my opinion I would either fix the filter or get a new one. If you choose to get a new one, biowheel filters are a good choice.

How are they doing?

Guest mary-ann

the sails problem happened about a month ago, sam is still not well but eating, the other fish are fine, i will try buying a new filter, sam moves around a bit but mostly just sits on the bottom now. i thought i should mention that he is a bit deformed, i didn't realise this until after i bought him, could this be the cause of the problem?

I would think that yes it could. If he is deformed chances are he isn't as strong as a healthy fish and or he has problems already going on. So this would leave him more suseptible to problems.

Your best bet is to keep that water is top notch condition and get the filter running asap.

Poor little guy, I hope he makes it for you.

Guest mary-ann

he is a bit of an odd shape and his fins are bent.

i will try to buy a filter as soon as possible, the good news is he isn't getting any worse.

Archived