Sarasa Dispute

jbo

Is this fish a sarasa comet or just a lookalike?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Is this fish a sarasa comet or just a lookalike?

• Yes, definately!
    • Ummm, maybe...
    • No way!

sarasa.jpg

Here's the pros: The fish is red and white.

Here's the cons: The color on the fish's tail could be called orange not red and the tail isnt as long as it should be(?)

What do you think?

Do you have a clearer photo? A side view with clear focus would be helpful.

Your fish does look like it could be a sarasa comet but the way it is bending it is hard to say--could be a common goldfish. But the tail is longer than a common....

I think it's a sarasa cull, which are quite commonly seen in feeder tanks. The tail wasn't long enough for breed standards so it was "tossed". Fish can just as easily throw non-perfect offspring as dogs and cats can. You can actually find Yorkshire terriers that weigh 30lbs, when they're supposed to weigh only 10. I have a sarasa (truly red, but the tail, while long, isn't long enough) that I nabbed out of the feeder tank.

"You can actually find Yorkshire terriers that weigh 30lbs, when they're supposed to weigh only 10."

I believe thats called obese dogs. and whats wrong with short finned sarrasa? also I thought those that didnt make show quality went to pet stores to be sold for like 5 bucks each. Have you ever seen shubunkins in the feeder? One petstore had em about once a month. I would buy a dozen or even two dozen shubunkins at $1.99/dozen. They were quite nice and colorful, just not show quality but I never imagined they would end up in feeder tank instead of their own tank at like 1.99 EACH! Those 1.88 shubunkins at nnnnnn are the cheapest I can get, I own 7 of em now. thats over $13!

Perfect or not, you have a beautiful fish!

Shiari, I know what you mean about pure bred dogs sometimes producing a dog much bigger than the standard--when I was a kid we bought a pug dog for a very low price since he was too big to be AKA registered. He was a great dog--we named him Weenie after the pug in the Eloise books.

:lol

I believe a true sarassa has a solid red patch covering the top half of the body. I didnt know there were really true standards for sarassas, though, because do they actually show them? Either way its a beautiful fish! Its just amazing to me what you can find in the feeder pond. I prefer some of those fish to show fish, anyway. Just the other day I pulled out a beautiful red and white feeder with a Bristol shubunkin tail! :)

*nod* By thirty pounds, I meant a *large* dog, not fat. That yorkie was only a little smaller than my australian cattledog/lab mix! :thud huuuuge dog.

I probably already do. .... At the rate Yuki is growing (1 1/3 inches per month) he'll be 15 or 16 inches long by the time I've had him 1 year! :thud

You have no idea.

I just finished measuring my guys.

Tooru = 4 inches

Kyou = 6 inches

Yuki = 6 1/2 inches

And I've had them since early september when Kyou and Yuki were both 2 inches long and Tooru was only 1 inch long. :thud

my gawd those are some super fast growing fish! I just finished setting my 29 gal tank so this will space out my overstock of fish and hopefully my gray beauties catch up on their growing. Do those slow down growing at some point? do you think your on your way to setting a world record? :happydance

Considerint those three have been in a single 10 gallon tank, I may very well be, and they're actually all showing signs of speeding up!!!! -_-;;

Archived