Another Heater Question

I've a question that may seem stupid - but I don't know the answer.

I bought this heater (25 Watt):

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...0&N=2004+113767

20061205-220021.jpg

The water in my Betta container was dropping below 70F and I didn't want my fish to get sick.

It's been a long time since I used a heater, so I'm wondering if I placed it right. "Back in the day" you didn't dunk the whole heater.

Is the whole thing supposed to be submersed under water, or a bit of the top out of the water as in the pic?

er...depends on the heater i think?? i have one that can be totally submerged but it is ok if the top bit it sticking out so long as it's not higher than the 'minimum' water line.

I think it's ok like that so long as you dont get too much evaporation, as this would make the water levels drop and could lead to the glass part being out of the water.

Fully submersible heaters are the only way to go these days. You really get what you pay for in a heater. A cheap heater - particularly the ones that need a specific water level in a tank - usually only last a year or two at best before they are either not reliable for temp (too hot or too cold) or they crack, no matter how careful you are.

The "stealth" heater you have shown there is a fully submersible and should be totally under water at all time to have the thermostat work correctly. REad the package, but many fully submersible heaters can also be placed horizontally across the tank at the bottom. I like these - I place them just about a bubble bar so that the rising bubbles move the heated water for full circulation. This makes less "hot pockets" in a tank. It also means that there is little possibility that you will accidentally have it on when it is not submerged. I understand that these are supposed to shut off if out of water, but I, personally, prefer not to test that. If fully submerged - at the bottom, it is never out of the water during a water change.

I like to place my heaters next to the intake or outflow of a filter so that the heated water is well distributed.

Archived