Saw Something Awful Today

dickey_moe

I went by my local large retailer to get some airline and naturally I had to see the fish and get depressed about the condition they were in.

A new low....... It appears that someone has cut off the edges of some of the dorsal fins of some of the fish in the tank!!! Could it be that the fins were ragged and they were trying to cover it up by cutting them off??

is that some kind of radical treatment for finrot? I could not believe my eyes! Do they really cut off the fins?

I am sure that I am not wrong about this. the edges were razor straight.

In defense of the retailer, I guess they could have bought them that way. It's just awful.

No I didn't say anything to the girl that was there. Like I said: the store may have bought them that way. Since they know so little about fish in there; they probably wouldn't have noticed anything amiss.

I am just apalled at the cruelty of it. The total disregard for the animal as a living creature. It's a product.

Not to mention that it's also dishonest especially if the fish is diseased. I will never buy a fish there.

Some severe cases of finrot do have an appearance as though the fin has been cut off. It is shocking to see, I remember seeing some fish once and their tails had all but disappeared.

I doubt anyone actually trimmed the fins, the effect would only be temporary. It sounds more like a terrible bacterial infection.

This doesnt really relate, but there was someone somewhere else who had a halfmoon betta who couldnt swim properly because his tail was too long and heavy, she trimmed his tail and it did wonders. Maybe if the tails were trimmed there was a reason for it? ..maybe not a good one. But if it stopped finrot it has to be better than leaving them.

..what fish were they? goldfish?

Actually, trimming tails and fins is all too common. I have seen a large number of "show" fish who were "improved" by careful trimming for presentation. I find that a ridiculous attempt to do for a fish what genetics or proper water conditions failed to do.

It is very possible that a less than scrupulous breeder would have trimmed tails/fins to cover ragged fins. It is possible that the torn fins were the result of a cured disease, but the breeder did not want to wait for the fins to repair before moving the fish. It costs a lot to keep a batch of fish, and if they can be made presentable for resale more quickly by trimming, so be it.

I think it tends to fall along the lines of docking a dog's tail or ears, or "painting" fish. It is done to create a product that is more saleable....

(Lets all be careful in this thread, though. Keep it as it is - nothing nasty and no names..... Thanks. :) )

If a fishes fins were nipped they wouldnt react would they if they couldnt feel it.

If you see your fish having a fin nipped they react to it, like you getting pinched.

Yes, I'm 99.9% sure that fish do feel pain in their fins. Those poor guys :cry1

I once moved my black moor George with a net and broke his tail fin. It was broken for a while in a very straight line, and then one day it fell off!!!! It was crazy, it was just sitting there on the bottom of the tank and the place on his tail where it had broken was very straight, it looked as though it had been cut. Maybe the fish you saw had similar experiences, but it seems unlikely that's what happened to ALL of them. Luckily George has such a huge tail that the missing piece isn't very noticable. Needless to say I learned my lesson about using nets and I now scoop him up in a large container if I need to movie him.

Chrissy

Sorry I thought that I had read that fish don't feel pain in their tails in a story about someone trimming their betta's tail to help with swimming. Maybe it's just a betta specific thing or maybe it just wasn't correct. It just seemed to make sense to me since I've seen bettas with severe fin rot that behaved normally.

I must say that I am sure this was not a natural break in the fin. It was just too clean, too straight. Some imperfection in the fish is being covered up to make the fish more saleable. There were worse looking fish in the tanks too.

I will not call names. I will not call P.E.T.A . I am just shocked by it. Look at your perfect little fishy's tail, and imagine someone cut it in half with a pair of sissors. How would you feel when you saw it?

I am so sorry little fish are treated that way.

I must say that I am sure this was not a natural break in the fin. It was just too clean, too straight. Some imperfection in the fish is being covered up to make the fish more saleable. There were worse looking fish in the tanks too.

I will not call names. I will not call P.E.T.A . I am just shocked by it. Look at your perfect little fishy's tail, and imagine someone cut it in half with a pair of sissors. How would you feel when you saw it?

I am so sorry little fish are treated that way.

I am curious, I think this was done to Poe's tail, one of the little orphans I found. I took a pic of him today that definately raised the question as to whether or not it was. Here's the pic:

Poe-Post.jpg

Look at the top fork of his tail, it looks like it was cut. I could be wrong, but something looks too weird a precise about it to be a deformity or result of disease.

Rowan's tail is like that and I've had her long enough that if it was a cut it would have healed by now. It might just be the way his tail developed..

BTW, Poe is a very pretty fish.

Rowan's tail is like that and I've had her long enough that if it was a cut it would have healed by now. It might just be the way his tail developed..

BTW, Poe is a very pretty fish.

Thanks for the info and the compliment on Poe. :D

it was just a run - of - the - mill fantail. I am wondering if this is some kind of branding. They notch ears on cattle don't they? Maybe they trim goldie tails.

the fish I was talking about had a very sharp clean cut looking dorasal fin. It was at an odd angle.

Archived