Growth Rate Of Goldfish

Guest Ismael

I wanted to know what affect the growth rate of my Goldfish. I heard that the bigger the tank, the bigger fish you can get. Also I heard that water quality affects the Goldfish because high Nitrate level stunt their growth. lastly, I heard that all goldfish secrete a growth inhibitor into aquarium water. The higher the amount of growth inhibitor, the slower the goldfish grows. So a lot of frequent water changes are necessary to maximize the growth rate of all Goldfish. What I wanted to know if all this is true or not, and if there are any other things that affects the growth rate of Goldfish.

many things affect growth. the biggest thing is genetics. the not so big things are the things you mentioned(but they still are important). one, poor water quality, two, the size of the tank. the bigger the tank the the fish is partially true. fish can only get so large, so there is a point where they just stop growing.(hope that makes sence)

as for the growth inhibitor, i dont know nothing about that.

I heard that all fish produce the growth inhibiting hormone. Not just goldfish.

Genetics will determine how fast and how big a goldfish can grow but the other factors can slow the growth rate and prevent the fish from growing to its full size. Water changes are also important.

Goldfish grow the fastest during their first few years. As they get older there growth rate slows down. Over crowding from the time they hatch until they are offered for sale at the pet stores can also stunt their growth.

the 4 things would be genetics, water quality, room and food. i'd group the growth inhibitors with water quality since water changes would flush them out of the tank. food is very important too since its pretty hard to make something from nothing, though you have to be careful about overfeeding and lowering the water quality from over feeding and over pooping.

Goldfish grow from the time their hatched until they die of old age. They grow the fastest in their first year then their growth rate slows down as they get older.

I have some common/comets 16-18 inches long. Their getting close to fully grown but they can still grow a few more inches yet.

What food does best, wen growth food? I have a moor, ryukin, red cap oranda in a 30 gallon tank. :bingo:

I've heard that in the first few years it's best to give protein-rich foods because of their growth spurts, but later to reduce the protein once they've reached maturity.

Archived