Sick Fish Mystery

Guest Fishy_Wishy_Kat

Guest Fishy_Wishy_Kat

:) Hello Everybody, i'm new here, I recently got a tank and two young fantail goldfish, one white one (blossom) and one orange one (frankie) for my birthday.

I got the tank on the 1st of november and its been running since then. :newfish

After two weeks (the recomended time) i got another little fantail fishy, (boggles) from a different pet shop up the road. He is healthy and fine even now.

Then, On monday last week i noticed what looked like little grains of salt on blossom's tail. As i had done research when i got the fishies, about disease etc, i had a suspicion it was ich/whitespot. So i went up to the petshop up the road (i had a suspicion that perhaps boggles could have been the carrier) and i got a tonic for the whitespot. its called "wunder Tonic" and the active ingredients are: methylene blue, malachite green, acriflavine, and quinine. I used this giving the correct amount on monday, the petshop said i only needed to dose once, so i did that and i didnt change the water that week on wednesday because of the medicene still working and i had to leave it for 7 days etc.

I did take the carbon part of the filter out on monday.

However, after noticing that every day it just seemed to be getting worse, i then noticed on friday that frankie too had started to get it on his tail, and after closer inspection i realized that as well as slight ich, he also had some sort of fungal growths also known (i am guessing) as either a bacterial infection/tailrot. i was rather anoyed as you would expect, i dont want my fishies to suffer, so i went up to the nearest pet shop and got my water tested. I always test the Ph every week and make sure its good, so the ph was fine, the lady said that the amonnia was fine and the nitrate was a little high or low, im sorry i cant get exact figures. (I saw though that the colour it turned was slightly purple) In the end she said to redose with the tonic, 1.5 mls a day and then do a water change. I decided with higher nitrates the water obviously needed a change, so i did a grvel clean etc, and THEN i dosed with 1.5 mls on firday afternoon, then the same on saturday, then again on sunday. Finally, on monday (yesterday) i checked and my poor fishies were no better off, the tialrot seems to be getting worse, and even though they are as hungry as ever ( i was told to feed only every 3 days because of the tonic) So yesterday, after much deliberation i took them into the original fish shop my mum bought them off, so they could have a look at them, and also test my water. The lady wasnt very helpful, sayiong that they both have a bacterial infection, and i would agree with that, although she was vague about the whitespot, and she didnt say why the tonic did not work! the results of the water test showed different than only three days ago! the nitrates were fine, ditto ph, but then the ammonia was not, it was highlighter yellow colour. She said it was because of the high concentrates of the tonic i was giving the tank, therefore killing off the good bacteria and so the amonia was not being broken down into ammonium.

Anyway, even though i could see white grains amongst the fungi growths, the lady gave me two medicenes, "melafix" which is a natural antibacterial remedy for open wounds and damaged fins etc, and also "stress zyme" which is a live bacteria thingee with live bacteria to help with the amonnia and i suppose give my fish better immune systems i think....

Anyway today is wednesday and i see no difference in either of them. Boggles is still fine, lurking at the back of the tank... and i dont see any difference in the other two fish. The tail rot and fin rot is getting worse and I dont know why nothing is working!!!! :(

im sorry for blabbing but i dont know how much info you all need, i would really appreciate some help. I am considering salt... but as they are so young i dont want to hurt them, some advice here would be great as even the pet shops i rang couldnt seem to figure it out.

Here's an overview:

-Number of fish- 3 fantail, two normal fantail and one fantail with boggle eyes. (hence the name boggles)

-Fish's condition: blossom is the worst- red streaks (inner bleeding) on tail, fins, and scales are not looking so healthy. Also white spots and ragged tail. Other than that fine.

Frankie: white fluffy growth on tail combined with ragged tail and also beginnind stages of inner bleeding on fins etc. i dont think i can see any white grains on frankie.

Boggles: fine, no spots, infeciton or anything.

-filter = "Elite Hush Ten" its a carbon filter with two filter cartridges. for aquarirums 5-10 u.s gallons (thats you guys) or 20 to 38 litres. (thats me)

-Tank Size and type = rectangle 27 litre (i'm not sure but i think thats around 7-9 gallons?)

-i have three cuttings of live plants in the tank as well as a fake plant (new) and a tunnel for them. All these were bought from the fish shop.

-the tank is in my room which is in the sleepout away from the house, they are not directly under or near a window but they do get enough light. they are also away from the rest of the family so they are not stressed by people looking in.

-Medicenes given: "melafix" natural remedy, "stress zyme" , "wunder tonic", and "stress coat" for the chlorine.

-food: Aqua one goldfish flakes. once a day in the morning usualy, but now only evey 2 days. (once i tried to dice up some cucumber, but i think they are too small and i ended up having to take it all out as they didnt eat it)

-ph and nitrate are good (sorry about no figures) except for the ammonia but that was on monday so with the amount of good bacteria now in the tank it is prabably ok now as i have also stopped the tonic.

thats all really. So i dont know what to do, the lady said to continue the good bacteria stuff and the melafix for a week, so i will, but if they dont get any better soon i might have to try something else because i see no difference in them!

Thanks SO much anyone who reads this and replies, i checked out the forum and read a lot of the posts and there seems to be some really knowledgable people here! Please help!

Katherine :)

Hi and :welcome

Your tank is overstocked which will be part of your prob as each fancy goldfish requires a min 10 gallons each so for the 3 fish you really need a 30gallon tank.

Your main prob will be water quality could you get your water tested and post exact results.

Guest Fishy_Wishy_Kat

When i got the tank, the pet shop said i could have up to eight fish in the tank. They are only two inches at the moment. When they get bigger i can move them into the ponds outside where we used to keep goldfish.

This is the petshop i got my fishies from:

http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz

The pet shops make lots of money from goldfish dying in small tanks and you going back to replace them.

Its 10 gallons per goldfish minimum im afraid.

Guest Fishy_Wishy_Kat

Ok, Well when they get any bigger than 4 inches i will move them to a bigger tank or the ponds outside. For the moment though, they are only little baby fish, less than 2 inches. Surely for the time being they are ok?

:unsure:

I dont want to put a dampener on things for you but the fish wont grow very fast or big in the tank. You will have to do water changes of 50% every couple of days to keep them healthy but for the short term then you may get away with it.

Keep an eye on your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and if you need any more help please just ask :)

Guest Fishy_Wishy_Kat

Update:

I've been checking my fish every day and today i noticed an improvement. The red streaks and inner bleeding on blossom has nearly gone, she's looking healthier too. Frankie is better but the white stuff on his tail is still there. I think the melafix and the stress zyme must have improved things. I think blossom still has a little whitespot but once they are free from the infections etc, i might wait a week and then salt the tank, because the tonic had such a bad effect on them.

As for the size of the tank and the fish i will investigate about getting another tank, i'm just taking it a day at a time and i'll repost again in a couple of days.. hopefully my fish will have improved even more..

Thanks for all the advice and help from everyone :)

Katherine

hi katherine (nice name by the way, same as mine!! hehe)

i know it can be a bit daunting to suddenly be told your tank is not big enough, especially given that the pet shop told you it is. I can relate to that completely, as it happened to me the first time i got fish. I had a 14gallon tank and was told i could have up to 8 normal (common) goldfish in it. We got 5 and they all got ill very quickly, due to terrible water quailty. it is unfortunate that pet shops recommed tanks that are too small, and it isnt always just to make more money (when you end up having to buy a bigger tank) it can also be in part due to ignorance, as some pet shop owners think of goldfish the saem as tropical fish and use the 'one gallon per inch of fish' rule. this is unfortuantley not applicable to goldies as they create so much more waste (they are little poop machines!!) So generally goldfish keepers like to have at least 10 gallons per fancy goldfish (fantails etc) and 15-20 per common goldfish.

I understand that the tank is new, so it may not be possible to get another one. however there are a few solutions to the problem. Firstly, water changes are very important now. with three fish (although small) in a 8(ish) gallon tank, they will produce lots of waste and pollute the water very quickly. so try to change 50% of the water every couple of days (as Sandy suggested) to keep the toxic levels low. Secondly, find out the 'gph' (gallons per hour) of your filter. even though it says it is suitable for 5-10 gallons, this can often be referring to tropical fish needs not goldfish. It is generally reccomended that a filter in a goldfish tank has 10xgph (so in your case your filter should ideally run 800, or more, gph). Thirdly, a new tank may be costly and so as a temporary solution you could look into getting a big plastic container to use as a 'tank' for a couple of your fish. (if you are in USA, rubbermaid tubs are good and cheap, if not then just look in local shops for big plastic storage containers. i once bought a 17 gallon bucket for ?7!)

Another alternative would be to take your at least one of your fish back to the fish shop. It will not be very nice to give up a fish but it would be beneficial to the others. Your tank would be fine for just one fish on it's own, or two (while they are small) with very frequent water changes, but you would have to upgrade as the fish grew, so it may be simpler to just have one fish in the tank. You could take the 2 sickest fish back to the fish shop for them to treat, and save the healthiest of your fish which you can treat as it requires, without the negative effects of an overstocked tank taking further toll on it's health.

I hope this helps. i know what you are going through and you must be very distressed seeing your fish so sick. I'm glad they seem to be getting a bit better. Let us know what solution you come to. (be careful not to overdose meds by the way, and keeping the water pristine will be a big help in treating them)

Kat x

Guest Fishy_Wishy_Kat

Okey Dokey,

Thanks for all that info Katherine! haha yea i like your name too! :)

anyway, blossom is now fine, all the bleeding has gone and his tail has nearly healed, its not torn or ragged anymore. Frankie is good too, there is still a little bit of white fluff on his tail but not much. They are both looking much happier and i think it must be the good bacteria medicene. I think i might take boggles back to the petshop, that sounds like a good idea.

I'll do the water changes 50 percent every 2nd or 3rd day in the mean time and i'll get my water tested once a week. I will definately get another tank but not at the moment so boggles might have to be re-homed.....

Thankyou all for your help i think i've got it sorted now,

thanks again,

katherine. :)

:) I had not read your thread until just now and was hoping for a good ending and it sounds like things have improved for your goldfish! Just watch them closely as you are overstocked and your water parameters can change very fast from good to bad and harmful to the fish!

Good luck and I hope for the continued improvement.

Archived