Worried My Comet Won't Last Much Longer

Guest jamoko

my huge comet that i've had for 7.5 years developed an ulcer at the start of sept...he was moved from an indoor tank to my new pond in july and my fish have now had a total of 5 ulcers since the ulcers where brought in by one of the new fish (i did quarantine the fish by the way).

i have used medicated food at the start of the ulcer process. as the weeks have went by i have used various things in an attempt to cure him...Myxazin, interpet anti-ulcer, hydrogen peroxide, pp paste, salt to 0.3%, and koizyme (gensys)

he just keeps worsening though and hasn't been eating much if at all....took these pics on sunday....his fins and tail are shredded, bloody and basically rotting away :cry1

this morning he was up at the surface of the hospital tub kinda gasping through his mouth. he has been in the hospital tank for the past month as i was afraid to leave him in the pond over winter

bigfishshreddedtail.jpg

bigfishside.jpg

Now tonight he 's sitting propped up on the filters and won't move...he's not that tame and tonight he'll let me do anything to him...i even tryied to give him medicated food by hand but he spat it back out

see him in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVV9R--LnMY

i have been posting about this for a long time on the pond forum...

link to ulcer update thread

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=54141

thread posted before that about ulcers

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=52968

PLEASE HELP ME HELP MY OLDEST FISH!

Thanks

Jude

Bacteria is a hard thing to eliminate and once in the fish very difficult to get rid of.

What size of quarantine tank have you got him in and whats the daily water regime? Are you adding plenty of air as well?

How long have you tried each treatment. I know PP is a one off and you can use it to form a paste to cover the wound.

Other then keeping the water in pristine condition, lots of water changes, warmer water and salt theres not much more i dont think you can do. Have you got any med food yet, as its important to keep the fish eating. If he is going off the food then try and get food with garlic in it as this often tempts them to eat again.

Bacteria is a hard thing to eliminate and once in the fish very difficult to get rid of.

What size of quarantine tank have you got him in and whats the daily water regime? Are you adding plenty of air as well?

How long have you tried each treatment. I know PP is a one off and you can use it to form a paste to cover the wound.

Other then keeping the water in pristine condition, lots of water changes, warmer water and salt theres not much more i dont think you can do. Have you got any med food yet, as its important to keep the fish eating. If he is going off the food then try and get food with garlic in it as this often tempts them to eat again.

Hi Sandy, he's in a 50gal tub with spot a much smaller shubunkin, it's the biggest tub i have. i have 3 filters running on it (about 8-9x filtration) and they are all agitating the water adding air to it. water is salted to 0.3% and i'm currently adding myazin daily. I do big water changes once to twice a week (usually twice) depending on water test results...the tub isn't cycled yet even though i added sponges from my tank to it when i started it up...i am starting to get nitrate readings now though. i am clearing up any uneaten food from the surface so there isn't much waste being produced with him not eating (spot is eating a little).

the interpet anti ulcer was used for a week (that was the course of it), pp paste once, hydrogen peroxide twice (months apart).

i tried to feed him by hand earlier but he spat the food out, i just threw a garlic based health food out last week as they wouldn't eat it on previous feeding attempts over the summer!

Jude

What temperature is the water?

I honestly cant think of anything else you can try to get rid of it.

Maybe Loz can give you a few more tips. Maybe iodine?

LOZ!!!!!!! :)

What temperature is the water?

I honestly cant think of anything else you can try to get rid of it.

Maybe Loz can give you a few more tips. Maybe iodine?

LOZ!!!!!!! :)

water temp is 19*C ....that's unheated as i can't put a heater in the plastic tub. the water temp was below 10*C when they where in the pond a month ago.

Hi Jamoko...

I'm so sorry your fish is struggling. I'm not nearly the expert that some are but... my advice would be to increase the temperature. Don't assume that a plastic tub can't handle a heater. I keep 300 watt heaters in my Rubbermaid tubs when treating sick fish. It shouldn't be a problem unless the heater is in direct contact with the plastic. Some water circulation will also be necessary, of course, but an airstone should work fine. If you could slowly bring the temp up to 26 or 27 degrees Celsius his metabolism (and consequently his immune system) might just kick in. Salting to 0.3% will also relieve some stress. Injectible antibiotics are also a way to deliver proper doses to sick fish without much appetite. You may want to talk to your vet. It sounds as though your fish is really on its last legs though. :(

Again, I'm so sorry. I hope your fish can recover.

Best wishes...

I agree that as long as the heater itself doesnt touch the sides then its fine to put one in.

Thanks guys, i'm afraid i have no opportunitity to get a heater tomorrow as no where opens before i have to go to work my only hope would be to crank the central heating up full bore :(

i just went down stairs there to put our alarm on and looked in on him and thought he was gone...he's lying on his side with the ulcer facing up out of the water a bit...he's kinda perched himself ontop of the filter which is a few inches under water. he is still breating though and kinda looked up at me, i didn't have the heart to move him as i'm sure he's suffering enough.

i'll be very suprised if he's there in the morning...what will i do with the tank and water if he does go during the night, espeially as spot is still in there with him and has a nasty ulcer herself (her 3rd) the other two she had in different places healed much faster than this one.

thanks

Jude

Jomoko I am really sorry. That is aweful and I know how you feel as I've had koi do the same thing. From the way it sounds I don't think he'll make it.

I don't really want him to go through much more but if he starts to seem a little better you can force feed. You need a syringe and some air line tubing. You can smash up medicated food and mix with codliver oil (I think it's been awhile and I can't find my book on it). The oil helps the food slide down the tube plus stimulates the stomach to get it going again. It sounds like your fish has ulcer in the stomach as well. The force feeding works, I had to force feed all my fish for two weeks a couple of years ago. I lost one fish out of 15.

Other than that I don't know what else to say.

Scott

hi jude... i can't really help your situation, but i hope your comet pulls through. the pictures are so heartwrenching. :( i'm also guessing the avatar you have under your username is him as well? he is a beautiful fish.

i'm crossing my fingers for you!!! :heart

thanks guys, well he's still here...just...i can't bear to see him like this, he's floating round the top of the tank just about breathing so i think it's gone beyond force feeding unfortunately. surely he can't go on much longer now? i just want his suffering to stop, i've to go to work in 30 mins and hate the thought of having to leave spot with a almost dead fish

that is him in my avatar...he is a gorgeous big fish...

well he's gone.... i came home from work and he was dead. Part of me glad his suffering is over the rest of me heart broken as he was the bigger one of my first pair of goldfish that my dad rescued from a play school in our town who'd left their two fish to die over their summer hols...they where in a tiny murky bowl of water when my dad rescued them and brought them home for me and that was the start of my now obsession with goldfish.and i had him for 7 & 1/2 years. he was 2&3/4inches long when i got him and he'd grown to 7 inches plus tail, people where always amazed at the size of him.

i still can't believe i've lost him after all i've done to try and cure the ulcer, it was just on sunday there that i noticed how badly shreeded and tatty his fins had suddenly got.

here is a link to some photo's of him tonight when i took him from the hospital tub....PLEASE DON"T LOOK IF SQUEEMISH.....

Pic 1

Pic 2

can anyone tell me what on earth caused the red bloody tail?

I'm currently doing a 75% water change in the hospital tub as Spot is now in there alone. I'm now very worried that spot will be too lonely on his own and he can't reall see much going on from the tub. He also spat out the medicated food tonight after i thought he'd eaten it!

Thankyou to everyone for all your help trying to save my fishes life!

Jude :cry1

Im sorry Jude

As for the reddening of the tail it looks like bacterial septiceamis and it just got too much for him to cope with.

Spot will be fine on his own and keep trying with the meds.

Thanks guys!

wee spot is quite lively tonight i went to sit with her there and she came up and nibbled my finger :D

she's not keen on the medicated food but i've figured she'll eat it when she gets hungry enough so fingers crossed she gets hungry soon!

Jude

I found that with my really sick fish, it took them getting really hungary beore they would take any medicated food, I imagine the stuff tastes kinda gross. I am so sorry you lost your commet he was a gorgeous fish, I always admired him. :heart

Im really sorry to hear of your loss, its always difficult losing a fish nevermind after that length of time.

I wish it were also in happier circumstances that I had come across the first other Kokos member ive seen from N.Ireland.

Thank you both, Maceo yes i expect it's like us taking medicine...hard to get down at times! yazooo that's cool your from Northern Ireland, where abouts are you situated? i'm in Lisburn!

Jude

Thank you both, Maceo yes i expect it's like us taking medicine...hard to get down at times! yazooo that's cool your from Northern Ireland, where abouts are you situated? i'm in Lisburn!

Jude

:) Im in Belfast. I love Lisburn! Frequently go shopping there and visit Grosvenor Tropicals of course.

Jude

:) Im in Belfast. I love Lisburn! Frequently go shopping there and visit Grosvenor Tropicals of course.

Cool, yes their new shop is fantastic, they have an online shop starting too... unfortunately my first ulcer came from a shubunkin i got from them earlier this year but the traces of it where titchy and only looking back on the photo's we realised he'd brought the ulcer with him and by the end of quarantine it had developed :(

I'm sorry I couldn't make it to this thread in time to offer advice.

Do you have an exotic veterinarian in your area? I think Baytril injections may have been an option in treatment of your fish. You may want to talk to your regular veterinarian about this.

From looking at the pictures of the fish, I think dropsy is the ultimate cause of death for you. The infection probably went from one local area to a systemic infection [septicemia] and eventually shut multiple organs down. Was the pond temperature cold when you brough him inside? Colder temperatures will compromise a fish's immune system greatly. Sometimes it is the difference between life and death in cold-blooded animals.

I'm so sorry you lost your oldest fish! I know I would be upset over the loss of my oldest koi...he's 8 this year.

Rai

Hi Raivynn, i think you could have something there with the dropsy, he hadn't eaten much for a couple of weeks and still looked big so he could well have been swolen although his scales never sat out like a pine cone. Water conditions weren't perfect either as the tank wasn't completely cycled. The pond was about 8*C when i brought him in and over 48 hrs the hospital tank went up to 18*C. i was afraid to leave him in the pond because i knew him immune system would slow down.

i have never investigated a local vet who can treat fish so perhaps i should for the future.

thanks

jude

it's been 4 days now and i can't get spot to eat the medicated food. She grabs it eagerly, sucks on it for a bit and just when you think she's eaten it and give her another wee piece she spits them out...she hasn't eaten any of the few wee bits i have given her...how long is it safe to carry on with her not eating should i give in and feed her something she likes?

Archived