Paint Fumes And Goldfish

Blue

My bedroom that was flooded is finally getiing redecorated.However I am concerned in case paint fumes have an effect on my fish.All the tanks have hoods I just worry about my fish.

Anyone know if there are any precautions I should be taking to protect my babies.

I'm not really sure what to suggest Blue, other than making sure that the room is very well ventilated for the duration of the decorating and until the paint smell has completely disappeared. May also be worth changing the filter pads on your air pumps afterwards, although proably not essential. I wonder what other people have done in the past in this situation? I suppose it's not really practical to move your fish out of the room completely for a while - that is a lot of work and I think it's more likely to stress your fish out, but if you're really worried it is an option.

Is there anyway to keep your fish and tank in another room? Maybe even get an air purifier (if you got the cash to spare :wacko: ).

Otherwise, keep a bunch of electric fans on and leave the windows open, you don't want the air particles from the paint fumes settling on your tank water. :ill

My fish are all in the living room.I had kept the door shut.However upon returning home the living room door was wide open I was not impressed as I worry about my babies.

you need alot of ventalation to keep the fumes low. they can harm the fish. i wasnt thinking too well when i painted my room, and there was no ventalation and the next day every fish i have was bottom sitting...

Blue, I've done a bit of searching, and although I can't find anything that lists the specific dangers, everyone is saying that it's best to keep all animals in a well ventilated room while you are painting and for a couple of days after. I'm glad you've asked this question because I'm re-decorating in the new year and you've given me advanced warning so that I can figure out what to do with nearly 80 gallons of water...

I guess I'll have to drain the tanks and set them up in another room, but that could be tricky because 3 people in my house smoke and that's worse than the paint fumes!

Good luck and let us know how you get on and what you decide to do with the fish while the room is being painted. I think this would be vital information for lots of people who don't know what's hazardous to fish.

EDIT: I just had an after-thought...If there's no other option and the fish have to stay where they are, maybe with the lids shut for the whole period they will be ok. The air pumps have little cloth filters in (mine do so I assume they're all the same) so I don't see any other way that the fumes can get into the tank. If you drape some towels or something over the top of the tanks, that would reduce the risk even more because the lids aren't exactly air tight. As for feeding, you could use those weekend food blocks or just fast them while you're painting. If you've got live plants, you know they'll munch on them anyway so it's not like they'll starve.

Hope this helps mate

Thanks guys my Dad pulled the decorators up today for leaving our living room door open.Today thankfully it stayed shut so they should be ok as the bedroom is at at oposite end of the hall and round a corner to the living room.

My babies appear fine.I will just be glad when the work is finished.

Well bad news tonight.Bubbles my bubble eyes has developed 2 black spots on her head.I suspect a parasite infection.But I dare not do my water change because of paint fumes.It should have been done yesterday.I have put some KB white spot control in.It also treats costia and trichodina so am hoping its one of the latter two.Soon as decorators finished I hope to do water change.The spots on bubbles are the same as ones Tiny had.

That's just bad luck mate. I hope she'll be ok.

How much longer are the decorators going to be there? If it's still going to be a while, like at least a day or two, maybe you should cover up the tanks just as a precaution to prevent any fumes seeping into them...

Good luck and fingers crossed

To be honest me and my Dad could have done it in 2 days.These guys have been at it since tues and they will be back again tomorrow.

Mess aint word for it.We emptied room of furniture they went and put some back in there and then got paint all over it.Hall carpet is ruined with them.Have made complaint about them.

Water based paint is not very toxic and I wouldn't think that it would cause a problem. The others gave good advice, keep the room ventilated and, if you are worried about it, to a water change as soon as it is finished. The little cloth filters in the air pump won't do squat.

Dennis

Archived