General Discusion :p

Guest im-trying

Guest im-trying

Ive been making some changes to my75 UK gallon (90 US) tank. I had a crisis and my second filter just flat out broke down i couldnt get it working so now ive bought an interpet PF4 filter ive had tanks with smaller PF filters in before and i think they are great :) made an instant improvement much better stream than the other filter i got with the tank and also has polished my water a bit more.

Ive also added three bronze cory cats to help clean the bottom a little eat up the excess food from the goldies (they get their own pellets as well) i boosted my heater up a little for them as well so my tank is at 25 c (77 f) and so far they are doing great :) thanks for the advice people.

I also added an apple snail today...... i got it from a reliable shop but now ive got it home ive noticed the shell is cracked and also the shell is a little green in places. It seems really active though its made its way over the tank and back to where it started this afternoon and the fish dont seem to have noticed it or bothered it. Now i bought the one apple snail so it didnt breed...how ever ive noticed a little brown snail in my tank and i have a feeling its one of those pet snails i thought it was cute so i left it in ^^'' should i take it out or will Turnip (the apple snail) eat it?

I also got some live plants today they are curently in a bucket of dechlorinated water just to check if any signs of snails are evident or any other parasites any tell tail signs to look for?

Also what do you think would be the best way to split my fish when they have grown? There are curently 6 fancies in the tank but i know they will need to grow do you think if i get a 30 gallon (UK) and put two pearlscales in there and kept my two black moors, oranda and fantail in the 75, do you think that will be okay?

An other ranting about today is for a local area ^^ anyone from the Hull yorkshire area! Analaby road pet shop has been very busy with their fish room i used to loathe them as their fish were all ill and kept in appauling conditions. But i went in today to see if anything had changed and it has :D theyve really got their act together including a a big tank big big tank for goldfish that people couldnt keep anymore which i was really happy about they had some really nice big ones as well a black and white common and a single tail chocolate oranda.

thanks for reading ^^ sorry for the long post

Hi, I think the current tank you have is well big enough for 6 fancies, 3 corys and a snail. Time will tell if they need more room but I wouldn't rush into anything yet.

I also had a little pest snail hitch a ride inside the shell of an apple snail I bought. I actually saw the little blighter come crawling out once he was home. I should have dispatched him but was lucky he was the only one, he died of natural causes but lasted about 6 months. The green on your snail is ok, just a bit of algae, but I don't know what to do about cracked shells. Apparently you can buy calcium drops from stores, it's for use mainly in marine tanks, but it helps the snails shells and won't harm anything else.

It sounds like you've been busy and it's all going well. Congratulations and good luck. :)

Guest im-trying

Hi, I think the current tank you have is well big enough for 6 fancies, 3 corys and a snail. Time will tell if they need more room but I wouldn't rush into anything yet.

I also had a little pest snail hitch a ride inside the shell of an apple snail I bought. I actually saw the little blighter come crawling out once he was home. I should have dispatched him but was lucky he was the only one, he died of natural causes but lasted about 6 months. The green on your snail is ok, just a bit of algae, but I don't know what to do about cracked shells. Apparently you can buy calcium drops from stores, it's for use mainly in marine tanks, but it helps the snails shells and won't harm anything else.

It sounds like you've been busy and it's all going well. Congratulations and good luck. :)

thankyou but do you not think that they will be cramped? or do some fish prefare to be in larger groups.

No, you have 10US gallons for each g'fish and cory plus good filtration. Provided you keep up regular water changes your fish will do fine.

Of course if they grow really large (more than 6") then the water quality will suffer so then it would be wise to get another tank and aim for more like 15-20US gallons per fish.

As for goldfish being in groups, well it all depends on the temperment and sex of the fish. Some fish are more peaceful and get intimidated by the outgoing fish, sometimes you get a couple of males that become too rough in breeding season. I keep my fish in groups depending on temperment, sex and feeding ability regardless of their size, I have some big 'uns mixed in with small ones.

Basically, you will see if there is a problem, most of the time they all get on fine.

No, you have 10US gallons for each g'fish and cory plus good filtration. Provided you keep up regular water changes your fish will do fine.

Of course if they grow really large (more than 6") then the water quality will suffer so then it would be wise to get another tank and aim for more like 15-20US gallons per fish.

As for goldfish being in groups, well it all depends on the temperment and sex of the fish. Some fish are more peaceful and get intimidated by the outgoing fish, sometimes you get a couple of males that become too rough in breeding season. I keep my fish in groups depending on temperment, sex and feeding ability regardless of their size, I have some big 'uns mixed in with small ones.

Basically, you will see if there is a problem, most of the time they all get on fine.

I understand certain types of nail polish hardener - fixit stuff- certain kinds mind you - have been used with success in mending snails- how did he get a crack anyway- I do not think my mystery snails will ever have the time to crack their shells in that they are to busy chasing aftyer each other- yes chase- and have sex in secluded parts of the tank - for 15 - 30 minutes at a time- I guess that implies that they are happy.

Guest im-trying

I understand certain types of nail polish hardener - fixit stuff- certain kinds mind you - have been used with success in mending snails- how did he get a crack anyway- I do not think my mystery snails will ever have the time to crack their shells in that they are to busy chasing aftyer each other- yes chase- and have sex in secluded parts of the tank - for 15 - 30 minutes at a time- I guess that implies that they are happy.

I came with the crack im affraid i was chatting to the fish guy i trust him well and he picked it for me with out really looking got home and i realised it was cracked but i would feel harsh taking him or her back as it isnt their fault, allready though im seeing some improvement in his shell and a bit of new growth and some of it seems to be healing and the algea has nearly all gone i think i might buy him a small tank to heal in for a while and change the water with tank water every day.

Also could someone PLEASE tell me how much water bristlenose plecs or rubber nose plecs need in a tank plllleeasssseeeee i cant find the info anywhere

I was just reading through and decided to check on the plec info for you. Most places seem to recommend at least 10 gallons for them, and some say it should be 30 gallons, but I'd go with the majority and say 10 gallons should be ok. If you're putting a plec or two in with the other fish, I'd say making sure they have at least 8 gallons each should be fine as long as you keep on top of the water changes and keep an eye on the water parameters.

If the water stays good and the fish & plecs don't bother eachother, you'll be ok. At the first sign of a problem it would be best to seperate them just in case someone gets hurt.

Hope this helps

Guest im-trying

I was just reading through and decided to check on the plec info for you. Most places seem to recommend at least 10 gallons for them, and some say it should be 30 gallons, but I'd go with the majority and say 10 gallons should be ok. If you're putting a plec or two in with the other fish, I'd say making sure they have at least 8 gallons each should be fine as long as you keep on top of the water changes and keep an eye on the water parameters.

If the water stays good and the fish & plecs don't bother eachother, you'll be ok. At the first sign of a problem it would be best to seperate them just in case someone gets hurt.

Hope this helps

thankyou :) ive been searching forr weeks and still havent found any info anywhere but i had a suspicion that it would be 10 thanks for the info ^^ i know a few other people on the site have been looking for it as well

No problem. Someone's just passed on a website to me that could be of some use.

aquariacentral.com

Do a search for plecs and you should get some useful info. I'm just reading through it myself at the moment because I'm getting a plec soon

EDIT: This site is telling me that bristlenose plecs need 30 gallons

http://www.aquariacentral.com/species/db.c...&view_records=1

Guest im-trying

No problem. Someone's just passed on a website to me that could be of some use.

aquariacentral.com

Do a search for plecs and you should get some useful info. I'm just reading through it myself at the moment because I'm getting a plec soon

EDIT: This site is telling me that bristlenose plecs need 30 gallons

http://www.aquariacentral.com/species/db.c...&view_records=1

yeah ive seen that measurement on a lot of sites but is that the size of tank that it should be housed in or is it the amount of water needed to house one fish

i think its the first one because ive seen someone say they have 7 and using that measurment it means they need over 200 gallons to keep somthing im interested in using as an algea eater (i know it wont eat all of it but it might help)

I'm not too sure so I'll let someone else answer that question. I don't wanna give bad advice or anything. It's amazing how much you need to know about fish before you can even think of buying them. I remember the days of a 1.5 gallon bowl and a goldie that you won on some stupid game :death:no:

I think that means the minimum size tank to keep them in. I wouldnt keep an adult bristlenose in anything less than.. maybe 20 gallons. And for the 'per fish' thing, they would probably be ok with about 5 gallons and good filtration. Someone correct me if I'm wrong..

Just my opinion, but I think 10 gallons is enough for a bristlenose pleco, they don't grow very large.

I think perhaps when the other site recommended 30 gallons they were thinking of other types of plecos which can grow very large.

I think 10gallons is fine, 20 gallons is better and 30 gallons would be even better. :)

Guest im-trying

thanks for the advice everyone :)

I was browsing the net and started finding a few recomendations of a fish shop in my area. So i jumped in the car and went there yesterday. Ive been berfore and was impressed the last time i went but wasnt able to get any fish.

I came home with an albino bristlenose. They told me that it was a species that they breed and they had the parents in an other tank and they said they were 3 years old and they were 4 inches long and they told me they had been that size for the past year so i think that they will be okay in the tank. The shop promotes the 10 gallon rule dont sell fish bowls and only sell commons and commets to people with ponds :) and they told me that five gallons will be okay for the fish (now called jess) when it is full grown. And i know what your thinking they are typical pet store people ripping people off but nah they knew what they were talking about the girl i was talking to must have had at least 10 tanks and she told me she had 2 ponds. So i think ill be okay

I also came home with three otos as i told them i wanted an algea cleaner and they recomended these to me and as said on this site the goldfish can just eat them. I dont think this will happen as my goldfsih are used to minnows as well and never had any trouble.

and so people know im not getting any more fish........untill i get an other tank :D

thanks again for the help and reasurance everyone:)

Just a little warning, (about pest snails)...a few months ago I got some snails. I really didn't KNOW about snails, just thought they'd be kinda cute ( :blink: ). Now these weren't those snails that are pretty & get big. No just plain ole snails....and it was "just a few"!! I started to notice little ones here & there, but it seems the goldies were keeping the population down. THEN I CLEANED MY TANK.....they were EVERYWHERE!! Especially in the filters. I use AQ110's which have big sponges.....baby snails ALL IN the sponges!! And at least a Zillion in the tank of the filters!!

I cleaned them out as best I could. But even now when cleaning the tank I will find a few of the little buggars!!

Guest im-trying

Just a little warning, (about pest snails)...a few months ago I got some snails. I really didn't KNOW about snails, just thought they'd be kinda cute ( :blink: ). Now these weren't those snails that are pretty & get big. No just plain ole snails....and it was "just a few"!! I started to notice little ones here & there, but it seems the goldies were keeping the population down. THEN I CLEANED MY TANK.....they were EVERYWHERE!! Especially in the filters. I use AQ110's which have big sponges.....baby snails ALL IN the sponges!! And at least a Zillion in the tank of the filters!!

I cleaned them out as best I could. But even now when cleaning the tank I will find a few of the little buggars!!

yeah i have some little ones in my tank i just take them out and put them outside. though saying that my new filter has slowed down....I think ive just found out why.

ill try and get some pics :)

I wanted to get a snail for my tank but the fear of mass-reproducing has kept me from purchasing one. Goldies are chubby enough without the extra snack! :D So I settled for a rubbernose pleco. Too cute!

Guest im-trying

okay so here they are ^^

jess the albino bristlenose

jess.jpg

and the larger of the otos ive lost one allready as it go stuck in the filter intake with one of the others the smallest survived but the larger died :cry1

this is the one that didnt go in the filter.

oto.jpg

and when i say larger you can see how small they are thats the digital thermomiter on the side.

the goldfish have had a sniff and a poke but they have just left them to it :)

*fingers crossed* i have a tropical tank at a friends house waiting should anything go wrong ive put these in ont the basis that if anything happens to the goldies they get blamed which is harsh but it is the goldfishes tank predominantly.

Archived