Please Can You Help Me Treat Samwise :(

Guest mintibix

Guest mintibix

Ammonia Level: test kit says normal

Tank size(How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 30 ltrs

How often do you change the water and how much? one to two weeks; but this month once a week - 40 %

Nitrate Level? I used a test kit and it showed as normal

Filtration? bio orb filter

Ph Level 7.8

Water additives/conditioners? Water conditioner & easy balance

What do you feed your fish? Goldy Color granuals

Medications add to the tank? Goldmed

How many fish in the tank and there size? 1

Any new fish added to the tank? nope

Any unusual findings on the fish? Such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins, fungus Any unusual behavior? Like staying at the bottom, not eating, ect..

Samwise is a pearl skin and has a reddened area on his side which appears to have a while fungus like growth on it that reduces with water change and treatment to almost nothing... and redness lessons then returns within a few days. It has remained for over a month with no change to the size and no additional areas of reddness appearing.

He is behaving normally; not rubbing himself or flicking, he is eating well and very active, swiming normally.

We lost Frodo a few weeks ago very suddenly with no symptoms at all i suspect due to a nitrite spike, i discovered this with my test kit and treated it immediately but too late for frodo. Sam's condition does not appear related to this however as it remains constant.

Any suggestions would be welcome... I dont want to loose Samwise too :(

Guest mintibix

yep i was reading your post as you sent this one.... it looks exactly like that! Ok i am trying to get hold of some Melafix to see if this helps ... Just have to keep my fingers crossed he holds out till i cant get hold of it :/

thankyou for replying so fast btw :)

good luck. I was really frustrated with losing several fish to that infection before I stumbled upon Melafix so I understand what you're going through.

I had a bit of a typo there, however. It should be 1.0% version of melafix instead of .1%

don't get the 5% version... that's too strong.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mintibix

Thankyou so much! We have been treating Samwise with melafix and have completed the first course with a water change. The sore area has gone completely :) In fact he generally looks in better health and is eating better as well (though i hadnt noticed he was eating less as his decline was gradual).

Of course it is early days but so far things are looking up ... once again thankyou :D

Archived