Introducing A Goldfish...

Guest SeeQuee

Guest SeeQuee

Hi,

I am thinking about introducing a new oranda to my tank. It will not be any time soon because I am going to get a bigger tank and get mine settled in before I do anything. I was just wondering if it is better to introduce a fish that may be a little bigger than my kids, the same size or smaller. I am afraid of any of the fish getting picked on.

I just want to have an idea about what to think about or if I should even do it. My two get along very well.

Stephani

Assuming that you quarantine the new one before introducing I don't see a problem putting a little fish in with a larger one. I have mine largest at 3 1/2 inches (Mars) and I added a little 3/4 inch moor (Sparky) with him, Sparky has been doing great and even gives Mars a run for his money every once in a while.

The only thing I can recommend is just have another tank handy just in case they don't get along, just so you don't stress this little one out and risk injury. I'm far from an expert but from personal experience it's worked out for me.

As long as the two fish are fairly well established you should be okay to add another fish. When I added my sarasa comet with my other 2 gold fish I just let him sit in the pet store bag floating at the top of the aquarium to adjust to the water temperature. Orginally The sarasa comet did chase the moore but it was also vice versa too. I decided to wait it out for about a week. It pretty much stopped completely after that week was up. So maybe fish just need time to adjust to each other and enough room to live peacefully with one another. Just my .02 cents

Also a good idea might be to cycle the new large tank that you are getting while the new fish is in your quarantine tub for a month to check he is not carrying anything.

Then, you could add all 3 fish ...that is, the fish you have now and the new fish..to a new tank at the same time. This way they are all nebies together in the new home. No territory issues at all. Also they should welcome the new friend because they are getting more space- always a happy thing :) .

Guest SeeQuee

Also a good idea might be to cycle the new large tank that you are getting while the new fish is in your quarantine tub for a month to check he is not carrying anything.

Then, you could add all 3 fish ...that is, the fish you have now and the new fish..to a new tank at the same time. This way they are all nebies together in the new home. No territory issues at all. Also they should welcome the new friend because they are getting more space- always a happy thing :) .

Thank you for all the sugestions!! What a great idea to do it all at one time with my new tank. It really makes sense to do it so they are all new together. You guys are the GREATEST!!! Thanks!!

Stephani

Aggressive behaviour is more often related to the sex and temperament of the fish rather than the size. Everytime you introduce a new fish it is a gamble but most of the time it works out fine.

I agree with ILoveSpaceboy in that from my experience it is mostly the smaller fish that chase the larger ones. :lol1

Guest SeeQuee

Aggressive behaviour is more often related to the sex and temperament of the fish rather than the size. Everytime you introduce a new fish it is a gamble but most of the time it works out fine.

I agree with ILoveSpaceboy in that from my experience it is mostly the smaller fish that chase the larger ones. :lol1

Thats funny that it would be that way!! Thanks for the info:) I guess if there is a problem, I can just pull the new one out, but I hope they will all be good buddies!

Stephani

Archived