Two Rescues

IloveSpaceboy

I took the trash out today and sitting there, ontop of a pile of garbage were two bags filled with water with two little things in it. So, I looked closer and saw that they were moving. Two precious little goldies were thrown in the trash in 20F weather! I climbed the dumpster and took them in, even though I don't have the room. So, they're in a 10 gallon tank.

One is a Pearlscale, now named Poe (after Edgar Allen Poe, one of my favorite authors).

Poe.jpg

The other is an Oranda. I have no idea what her color is called but she is the only one of her color I've seen in life. Her fins are really frayed and I think she has some blood streaking in her anal fins. She was really lethargic when she was in the bag, but she's perked up a lot since she's in the tank. Due to the fraying I am doing a melafix treatment to try and help her along as much as possible.

Mythra3.jpg

Mythra2.jpg

Mythra.jpg

Here are some pics of Poe and Mythra.

Poe-Hide.jpg

PoeandMythra.jpg

PoeandMythra2.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe someone just left them in the trash, alive. *shakes head* Well I always say fish choose their owners :heart , they are very lucky to have you.

I hope they are on the mend soon and I'm sure you'll give them a wonderful home! They have such sweet faces, I can't imagine someone doing that!

I can't believe someone just left them in the trash, alive. *shakes head* Well I always say fish choose their owners :heart , they are very lucky to have you.

I hope they are on the mend soon and I'm sure you'll give them a wonderful home! They have such sweet faces, I can't imagine someone doing that!

I have to admit that I think it's fate that out of all those dumpsters, they were in mine, lol. They both seem to have great little personalities. I some kid screaming about an half hour before I took the garbage out, so I wonder if they were a gift that one of the parent's didn't approve of.

I wish I had more room, but they're worth the extra work. Merry Christmas to me! The best things come in small packages and the best things in life are free right? I just sounded like a fortune cookie.

Thats such a shame that someone would throw away 2 beautiful fish. I'm glad you saw them and took them in.

i think the oranda is a blue oranda, but i could be wrong.

but i must say that i love the 6th pic (second from the bottom) they look like the cutest pair.

Thats a shame that the previous owners would just leave them out in weather like that.

:( You're very lucky to find and save those nice fish. I love the blue oranda and I like how big the wen is on that oranda. I never see any blue orandas around here with wens as big as that. The pearscale is also nice as well. I hope the tail of the oranda get better as well.

They do seem to get along pretty well. Mythra was having problems swimming up in the beginning and when she would try Poe would get up under her and push her up. It was so cute. Then he would get in front of her and she'd follow him, like Poe was saying "come on, you can do it".

Both of them are about 1 1/2 long, they're still so little. It hurts a little to look at Mythra since she reminds me of Alex and the chubbiness of Poe reminds me of Michael, which is something else to contemplate.

I don't understand how anybody could do such a terrible thing as to throw those live fish away in the trash :( I'm so glad you found them and are going to give them the chance at life they deserve :exactly Lovely pictures! They are very sweet, I do hope they recover well

Thanks everyone. I wish I could them the space they need, but this is better for them than the alternative.

They are swimming like crazy now though and swim up to the front of the tank whenever I go near. Mythra is a little ham already. I had never seen a blue Oranda before this, I've seen pictures, but I've never had access to one and the way she came to me makes her more special. I'd even thought about getting a pearlscale when I had the room. Didn't have the room but here they are.

I'm already in love with these two. I hope they make it *crosses fingers*.

I'm glad that you decided to take out your trash.Those two fish wouldn't have made it out there very long at all. :(

Blue Oranda's are one of my very favorite.The darker the blue,the more I like them. :D

These two are really cute and hopefully they'll come out of this ordeal none for the worse, Good luck with them both. :)

Some people are so coldhearted! :mad: But their character flaws are your gain. Such a gorgeous little couple, they look in pretty good shape but the shock of the cold would have knocked them around a bit. Good luck with them. :)

oh my goodness that is shocking! they such are beautiful (and quite rare!) fish. i dont mean this is a mean way but when i read the topic i just assumed they would be cheap common 'feeder fish', not the more expensive fancy varieties! (not that i believe commons are less important than fancies at all, but some people do, you know what i mean, as they only cost a few cents in USA)

But it is really shocking that someone could leave those two cuties like that, if the cold didnt kill them then the water in the bag will have eventually got so toxic that they would have had a slow painful death. that really is appauling. :cry1

They are gorgeous, and they are SO lucky that you found them there. plus i know you dont really have the space, but a filtered well cared for 10 gallons has got to be heaven compared to the situation they were in, and goodness knows if the family they came from ever treated them well before throwing them out.

congratulations on the cutest little fishies, and well done for saving them.

:heart

Ps- the oranda looks just like a bigger version of my oranda, kinda grey/blue with olive patches. mine has no wen yet though.

:( I have never really been able to understand how people can be so horrible!!!!! I am so glad that you found the fish and were able to save them before they froze to death. :)

Litters of puppies and kittens are found all the time here in the desert where someone has just boxed them up and dumped them. Its a shame that humans have become heartless enough to do things like this. :cry1

I can't even bring myself to throw a dead fish into the trash, let alone to living goldfish!

Your two rescue fish are beautiful and I hope they do well and recover from their experience. The oranda does look like a Blue to me, he is just stunning with that little face. Good luck with them!

How could anyone have looked at those adorable faces and then thrown them in the trash.I am shocked at the cruelty of some people.

I'm really pleased you found them they are going to have a great life with you compared with the fate that could have befallen them if you had not intervened.

I'm sure with your tender loving care they will recover from their ordeal and give you years of pleasure :) Good Luck with those little sweethearts :hug

I was thinking about this all night. You should tape a picture of them happy in your tank in a few days to the dumpster. :rofl

:D Thats a great idea!!

Its so great you rescued them, that picture of them together is a the cuuutest! :heart

I was thinking about this all night. You should tape a picture of them happy in your tank in a few days to the dumpster. :rofl

:D Thats a great idea!!

Its so great you rescued them, that picture of them together is a the cuuutest! :heart

that is a funny idea. mind the previous owners dont suddenly demand them back if they know you have them though!

That is a cute idea about the sign. I made one a little different though since I don't have a printer.

Early this morning I put up a sign that said, "Don't worry the goldfish you threw away are in a good home" and I had another thing of garbage to take out 5 hours later (I hate cleaning) and with a sharpy they put "they're just *edit* fish"

So, yeah, they're definately in a better home now. Some people are so ignorant it makes me mad.

Very good on you for saving the lives of those two goldies. You are a wonderful person for doing so. :D

Both of them are darling. Poe has nice body shape and color and Mythra has the cutest cheeks! Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but your Mythra is actually a boy! Hehe, you can see his breeding stars in the 4th pic (on his pectoral fins)

I'm so glad you rescued them. I can't comprehend how anyone could do that. If I were in your situation, I would certainly take them in, even though it would mean 4 goldies in a 20 gallon tank.

Archived