Whoa, Death From Out Of Nowhere

SusanH

Somehow, I am still having problems in my aquarium. I am getting so worried I think I will treat everyone for everything just to be safe.

Ammonia- 0

Nitrite-0

Nitrate-5

PH- 7.8

180 gallons, running two/three months.

3 aquaclear 110's

25% of water once weekly

about 15 goldfish

Use dechlorinator and Aquatan conditioner

Feed wardley/tetrafin flakes

Lastnight I noticed my wonderful Hamanishiki pearlscale bottom sitting... didn't think too much of it, a few of them have been doing it recently though they seem to be active enough it's not too scary. This morning I came down and his tail was stuck to the intake of the filter... I quickly unplugged it to release him and he fell to the bottom, sort of gasping. I moved him the the hospital tank and noticed he was so bloated even his vent was stretched and it looked like he was about to explode. I think his scales were somewhat stood up but was very hard to tell as he was so blimpy they sort of always looked that way. Qorst thing was, he was very very hemmorhaged on his underside... worst on his chin (almost entirely purple) and near his vent... it was just awful. He expired within 6 hours of me noticing this. I am terrified :cry1 I have no idea what could have done this to my fish. Does anyone know what this could be? What can I treat my other fish with to try to protect them from this? Thanks in advance.

Thanks... the other fish are doing okay I suppose. Some of them are being lethargic (two of the moors have been since I planted the tank, though... eat like piggies on the plants, lay on the bottom for the evening, repeat daily) One telescope is acting somewhat funny, bottom sitting occasionally, one Oranda is acting very badly, lays on bottom contantly with fin down, one has swim bladder issues and without peas lays on bottom, one has been floating nose down but swims fine when disturbed... just a lot of problems that seem sort of mild, but enough to put my stomach in knots, especially after this. I take so many steps to be sure eveeything is perfect in my water- but I am having so many problems! It's quite the nightmare right now... :thud

I'm so sorry Susan :(

If his vent was distended and red, this is an indication that a bad bacterial infection was at play and if they're showing signs of lethargy then it could be that something lowered their immunity allowing it to take hold.

In terms of symptoms, is there any redness on their bodies? Do any of them have stringy poop?

I can only tell you what I would do and that's get some medigold from goldfishconnection.com and feed exclusively for 3 weeks. This will help resolve any bacterial infection and won't disturb your water quality...

Thanks for the response... I will try to order this food ASAP. Is there any treatment I could pick up in a LFS... not a food or a substitute food- at least until this product comes in?

They all have somewhat stringy poop, though I have noticed a marked improvement in most of them. Also a few of them were suffering from redness on the body but after a massive water change and adding a good water conditioner, this cleared up.

I have recently had a problem with bacteria... infexted bumps on the headgrowth of many of my fish (which seem to be reoccuring). Pimafix helped this, but it returned soon after treatment.

No and IMHO I think they'd all benefit with a round. Keep up the waterchanges to reduce the bacterial count in the water and the medicated food will help resolve any internal bacteria. It sounds like there's something lurking in the tank that's not quite been resolved and if you're real worried, you can try going with a round of Maracyn II which treats gram negative bacteria (most common) but if you go down this route, try to keep an eye on your water quality. It shouldn't destroy your cycle but may bump it a little :)

Okay, I ordered the Medigold... it didn't really tell me when I should be expecting it to arrive, but I suppose it should be soon. Thanks for your help, I'll keep up on waterchanges. Speaking of that, though.. is it possible I am changing too much water? Everyone seems pretty unhappy after I do a water change, though the temp/PH is correct and additives have been put in to make it safe for the fish.

I lost another oranda this morning (the one who was laying on the bottom for the past few days) and oe of my moors who is normally active is being quite lethargic.. everyone else seems fine, though. Still waiting on my medication, and hopig it comes in before my panda moor dies.

Guest Triple3

Poorly. I posted a new topic trying to get more info on this food... I think I am going to lose my moor :(

Hi Susan. Sorry to hear about your lost. Your water params look good. Are you using an electronic PH pen to test PH? if so, did you calibrate it?

:)

I am now on the 5th day of my medigold treatment, and knock on wood, everyone seems to look better. As a matter of fact, they are more more active and much hungrier now than since they started showing little symptoms of things not being right, and then massive amounts of my fish dying off. Also their poop is short and dark in coloration... it had been long and white (though would sometimes go back and forth) Some of them (Like Vito, my 7 inch oranda) are more active now than even when I first got him ! He now comes to my fingers to eat the medigold, as does my red and white moor, Chupkins (both of them were kind of skittish. ) Why on earth have they started this? Do they love the Medigold? My gold ranchu seems to balance better in the water. A lot of things I didn't think were related seem to be changing for the better. I am shocked as it has only been 5 days. Luckily all of my fish like the medigold and eat it greedily. I am still too weary to think my tank is out of the woods yet, but things seem to be looking up :heart

Archived