Persistent Fin Rot?

Guest Rach1

First of all info you need:

Ammonia=0ppm

Nitrite=0ppm

Nitrate=5ppm

pH=8.1

Tank is a 12 gallon eclipse with filter and biowheel

Change 4 gallons of water weekly. Add 1ml stress coat per gallon. Use brita filter on added water. No change to any of this routine.

No medication intank for at least 10 months. No new fish for 11 months. Same food for 11 months, bioblend goldifsh sinking pellets.

I noticed the tail fins of my fantail a little ragged several months ago. I tried Melafix for a couple of weeks but didn't see a huge improvement. I wrote in and was advised to try removing salt from water as I had been adding a little in each time I did a water change. I removed the salt and nothing changed and I notice red areas where the fins were ragged and receeding. I then gave a 5 day course of Marcyn and Marcyn-two which seemed to help a little. I tested the water and it had ammonia so I added Amquel which worked well. I left alone for 1 month, salting the water a little as instructed and changing the water every week. I notice red on the end of the tail fin again last week so I gave another 5 day course of Maracyn and Marcyn-two and added some coppersafe too. The red spot has now gone away but the tail fin has reeceeded considerably in places and I want to know how I can fix this before it receeds any further. Thrioughout this all, the fish has acted fine, no changes to his behaviour, still eating and whizzing around as before. HELP!

Hi Rachael :)

When you medicated, did you dose with both maracyns and coppersafe at the same time? Do you still have them all in the water?

Also, when you look at the fins, is there a white coating around the edges? Or is it more of a shredding? Is there any redness at all?

Thanks Jen for responding. Yes I added Maracyn, Maracyn two and coppersafe all at the same time, then continued with a further 4 days of Maracyn and Maracyn 2. This was last week and I changed out 4 gallons of water last weekend, no more water changes since then.

The red are has disappeared on the tail fin after the antibiotic course however this is at least the second time it has returned since I started trying to fix this a while ago. When you look at the fins, some are perfectly fine. The dorsal fin is perfect, no signs of any issues. I think it is the pectoral fins that have some issues. They are a little ragged and I noticed that one now appears smaller than the other. The main problem is with the caudal fins (the long flowing tail fins). This is where I have seen the red edges which appear to have then created shredding of the fins which goes quite deep (maybe a 1cm into the fins) I have not noticed any white coating on the fins more just shredding. I have noticed the ends of the fins have got thinner and thinner and then it leaves a white thin like thread which then breaks off.

I am really worried that I can't seem to stop this and don't want it to continue to get worse.

• 2 weeks later...

Fins are getting worse and disappearing day by day. The red area has totally gone however the fins are just shredded and shrinking. I increased the salt to about 0.2% now as I had read on another post that this may halt fin rot and help fins heal. Any other ideas?

HELP!

Hi - Sorry to hear about your fin rot problem. I lost a fish to fin rot earlier this year, but in the process, i learned a lot about treatment. I'm not an expert, but here are some of the things that helped me.

1. Test your water everyday. You must maintain perfect water quality - otherwise, all of the medication in the world isn't going to help you. Test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, and change the water if the conditions are anything less than perfect. I was changing my water just about everyday - sometimes even twice a day. It's tiring, but neccesary if you want to save yor fish.

2. Do not salt the water if your fish is under 2 inches in length. It's too hard on the little guys. If you have a larger fish, you can try salting the water to a concentration of 0.3% for about 5-7 days BETWEEN courses of medication. But don't combine salt and medication in the same duration of treament. Also remember that you must chage the water by 150% to get rid of all the salt afterward.

3. Feed sparingly to avoid ammonia buildup.

4. Keep the tank lights off.

5. Don't give up!

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Dana.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dana

I switched the light off after reading your response, and have increased salt to 0.3% and on about day 6 now. Should I stop salt now, do wate change and remedicate even though the red spots have disappeared on fins? Fin rot does not seem to have got any worse, I think.

Rachael

• 3 weeks later...

I salted the water for about 2 weeks and have now over completed daily water changes for 5 days to remove all salt (4 gallons replaced each time, 12 gallon tank....am I right 150% water change to remove all salt?)

I noticed 2 days ago while still doing water changes that another little red patch was appearing at the end of a fin however after the water changes it has since disappeared. Could the water changes alone fix the problem? Only some of his fins are affected and over the past 2 weeks (while salting) I have not noticed them getting any worse until 2 days ago. I noticed that when I did these 5 water changes, I vacummed the gravel really well and deep and it was bringing up a lot of dirt, however my water parameters have been almost perfect throughout. can anyone explain that??? I also haven't fed him for 2 days, his light has been off for a good 2 weeks, I replaced his trees with silk trees instead of plastic and bought extra rocks for him to hide behind incase that was stressing him out too.

So my concern is what to do now. The salt should be out of the water (correct?), the red patch at the end of the fin has disappeared for the meantime however some of his fins have noticeably rotted and need to regrow.

Please help as I don't want to lose him!

Yes doing a 150% water change pretty much rids the tank of all salt.

If I understand you right all around he is better?????

Yep fresh, top quality water can do wonders, so it is possible just that helped him. People under estimate the miracles that good water can bring.

Salt while is a wonderful and natural healer can irritate fins and fish after a while, especially if the fish is sensitive.

I know once while treating some split fins in my fish they seemed to be getting better then all of a sudden they got worse, I removed the salt and viola all better.

By better, the red spot that was appearing on his fin has disappeared however his fins have not started to grow back. How can I help this, and should I continue with daily water changes or reduce down a little? So no meds right now?

It can take quite a while for fins to grow back. One of my fish was many weeks.

In my opinion if things seem better I would continue with good water. Depending on your levels water changes when necessary and nothing else. See how it goes for a week.

My only concern is that the levels have been normal when obviously after vacumming these past 5 days there has been a lot of dirt in the tank. I usually do water changes once a week, should I step that up to 2-3x/week? How about Melafix too, would that help, or just stick with trying to keep water perfect?

If it were me I wouldn't use anything, not even Melafix. Good water and freshen it alittle more than normal, but withou disturbing the cycle to much. That is what I would do.

Thank you so much for all the help, I will try more frequent water changes and see what happens. How do the fins look when they are growing back, will it be easy to notice?

• 4 months later...
Guest Rach1

Everything has been going fine since january when I last posted. The fins started growing howver I have noticed recently that one fin may be shrinking again. No problems with any other fins and no red spots. I never put any salt back or used any medications. I have been doing a 30% water change each week. I was thinking of doing a 30% water change daily for 5 straight days as that helped last time....any ideas if this is a good idea or not...will it crash my cycle?

Archived