Help! First Dropsy Now Wen Being Eaten

Guest shin

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? dont know/ cant get a test kit unless at Wmart

Nitrate level? dont know/ cant get a test kit unless at Wmart

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?

Ph Level out of the Tap?dont know/ cant get a test kit unless at Wmart

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 40 gallons and around 2 months

What is the name and size of the filter/s? I think its marineland penguin biowheel 350 ( i know not big enough but only decent filter within my budget)

How often do you change the water and how much? Around once or twice a week and 20%

How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 fish 3-6' (body only)

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Aqua Plus

Any medications added to the tank? just epsom salt

Add any new fish to the tank? nope

What do you feed your fish? fed them jungle anti-bacterial food for 3 weeks then switched back to flakes, tetra freeze-dried bloodworms, and pellets but started anti-bacterial food when dropsy symptoms returned

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? One fish looks like it has pop eye and has a open wound under its cheeks and the other one has a hole in the wen and in the hole its white.

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? Both fish still act normal and eating fine.

Okay, George my oranda had recovered from dropsy about a month ago, a few days ago, the pine coneing came back and i added epsom salt to the main tank and upped the temp to 82 (from 80) and fed only anti bacterial food. Today when i saw him his scales were almost completely back to normal but there was something wrong with his wen. There is a hole in it and the inside of it is white as described. Is it whole in the wen? or is it some kind of bacteria thats attacking him? all of the other fish in the tank are orandas so should i separate him to my smaller tank? I dont have an extra heater and the tank temp is cold and i dont want to trigger the dropsy again. Should I get macaryn II tomorrow and treat him? I dont know what to do right now, will the anti bacterial food help him kill off what ever it is? (sorry for all the questions) I will post a picture later when i get back to my home computer. Im also sorry if this is in the wrong section but I need a quick reply because I wont be on the computer until late in the evening. Thank you for any information you guys may have.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are not in the wrong section.

WlMart does have the test for nitrites and nitrates along with ph, so that is your first step. You must know what the params of the tank are before starting any type of treatment. Ruling out water issues is step one.

Since the fish are acting ok, I would get the water tested asap and continue the med food.

A picture would be helpful as well.

Thanks for your reply! The nnnnnn that is closest to me only had the ammonia and ph test kits when i saw them. There is another fish store near me that has it but its like $60 and my dad wont let me buy ( you need to be 18 to buy from the store). If I were to get the ph test kit it would either be tomorrow or wednesday( too much homework!) I'll try to post the picture ASAP but im not sure if you'll be able to see it very clearly because my phone camera isnt that good. Thank you again and I will post back with the picture later!

Here is the picture but its not very clear and its hard to see the hole. Its the whitish part a little bit above the eye.

DSC00170.jpg

This morning when i saw it it was kind of purple colour and was eaten away a little bit. Now it that part turned white and has a couple of pieces of the original red wen in there. I hope it will heal soon.

Also, right now i cant check up on the fish because the tank is in my dad's store and I wont be able to see it until the morning and wont be able to post until after 4:00pm eastern time.

Well today, the hole in the wen doesnt seem to be white anymore. Theres only a tiny bit of white in there then the rest is the colour of the wen(red/orange). Is this a good sign? He still seems to be acting normal and pooping fine. I wont be able to get the test kits for a while because the wal mart I go to only has ammonia and ph. I'll try to get the ph kit but I probably wont be able to get it until the weekend.

I also wanted to mention that before this happened there was like a thin white covering over parts of the wen , but none of it was around the hole area. I hope he is making a recovery and I will update on his condition later again.

Well to me it sounds like a good sign, hopefully it continues to heal. Stay up on the water changes, that will help out tremendously.

However it is important to know what the other levels are so you don't crash your cycle, or that the params are out of whack.

Well today his scales are back up. Could it be because I fed him a bit too much? He also cant swim that well right now :( . Sometimes he gets pushed onto his side. He's still willing to eat though. The hole doesnt seem to be any deeper so I guess that is a good sign. Should I add in anymore epsom salts to help with the swelling? Thank you for replying!

Right now he has trouble swimming and is on his side most of the time :cry1 should I try to fast him for a day? His wen seems to have a bit of white on the inside of it again. Yesterday the white was almost gone but today theres a bit more. I was also wondering if i can use the jungle anti-bacterial food with the anti-parasite at the same time because everytime i see him his mouth is moving a little.

He didnt make it :cry1 . His scales were sticking out alot and he couldnt get off his side. He was caught in the filter and it looked like his organs were all pulled to one side :cry1 . He just died a few minutes ago. I went out to get some macaryn 2 and when i came back he wasnt breathing. I picked him up and saw his mouth move and placed him back into the water. He took 1 last breath and past away. :cry1 Thank you for your advice! You can move this thread now.

I also wanted to add that one of my other orandas got their head caught in the filter but was removed quickly and is currently recovering. One of my other orandas that was pine-coneing that I didnt try to use any meds on because everytime I try to save my fish they usually end up dieing, isnt as swelled up anymore and his scales are almost back to normal! I guess he was a fighter and was lucky. and I'm also glad that my oranda, George, is finally at rest. :heart

Sadly, today I found the little oranda that got its head caught into the filter dead :( . And even worse news is, in my other tank, that it looks like 2 of my orandas are starting to pinecone and 1 has his scales still slightly raised. Could it be a parasite in the water causing this? There was ALOT of fish lice in the tank about a month ago but I picked them off so I dont know whats going on :krazy: . Should I go buy the jungle anti-parasite food for them?

Shin I am sorry to hear that both died. You were doing so much for them, it is so sad.

Yes it could be a parasite causing the dropsy, but it could other things as well. Really it is hard to say.

Do you have other fish? And if so how are they doing?

The other ones are doing okay except for the other 2 that started to pinecone are now bottom sitting in the hospital tank. There has been a lot of fish lice popping up again in the tank that they were in before. They're still willing to eat but I cant have the filter on or else they'll get stuck. They have epsom salt in the tank and macaryn 2 as well.

Well you are in a rock and a hard place with the lice and the dropsy. My guess would be that the lice are causing the dropsy.

You'll have to treat the lice with dimilin and rid them and the tank of it, or they'll keep reoccuring.

Good luck, you sure have a battle on your hands.

For now we'll leave your thread here, for it is a bad situation. Keep us posted.

Okay thank you for your reply. Is dimlin found in fish stores? The lice disappeared for a few weeks when I totally took down the tank but I guess I must of missed one or two and now they keep on coming back up. Im also not sure whether or not my 2 pearlscales have dropsy because they act normally but their scales dont look like small pearls. Their bodies are also normally round so its hard to know. Thanks again for the advice!

One of the dropsied orandas didnt make it. :( The other one has been bottom sitting for 99% of the time. Yesterday, he could only wobble through the water and couldnt swim but today he can. I didnt get the dimlin yet because I've had the flu for the whole weekend and couldnt go anywhere but I hope to get it soon.

I'm going to try to get the dimlin tomorrow because the pet store is closed on Tuesdays. Do I remove the carbon from my filter while I treat it? Also, how many times am I supposed to use it? Just once or until there is none left at all? Thank you for your help!!! :)

Good update: :D

My oranda that was suffering from the dropsy seems to be getting better! I ran my finger down the scales and I did not feel any rough scales. Also, when viewed from the top his scales seem to be all down. He still bottom sits and his belly is still a little bloated but better than yesterday when his scales were sticking out quite a bit.

And now I have some questions:

Should I continue macaryn 2 for another round? I still have 2 tablets left for this treatment.

Does macaryn expire? I was planning to get some and store it incase for emergencies.

When should I stop feeding medicated food and should I also start feeding anti-parasite food after?

Thank you for all of your help!

P.S. Im going to check for the dimlin after school tomorrow. And does Big Al's have it?

Big Al's should have it.

I would finish this round of Maracyn yes. Whether you start another round that is up to you. If you feel the fish is getting better and doesn't need it sure you can stop. But if the fish is still questionable I would continue for the 2nd round.

As for the medicated food, this should be fed at least 21-30 days. It is a long time, but necessary. After that you can start the parasite food.

I am glad to hear the fish is doing better. For now your thread will be moved to the non 911 section, but keep us updated.

Today, I went to my LFS to look for dimlin but they didnt have it so they gave me jungle parasite guard. On the container it says it kills fish lice. My question is, is it safe with salt? Please respond quickly because I have to leave soon and wont be able to medicate them soon. Ingredients are: sodium chloride, trichlorfon, diflubenzuron. While I was there I also bought a nitrate test kit and im currently measuring the levels.

On another note:

My other oranda who was suffering from dropsy who I left in the main tank had his scales back up yesterday but when I fed them anti-Bacterial food for a few days, his scales almost returned to normal. :)

Please respond A.S.A.P.

Thank you for all of your help! :)

I would definitely say that it is safe with salt! Sodium Chloride (one of the ingredients) is salt! LOL

You can either add more salt or you can just let the medicine work on its own w/o extra salt!

Good luck! :rofl

Woops! I meant to say epsom salt(magnesium sulfate) because it is currently in my tank and I just want to make sure because I had some bad experiences with meds before. Thank you for replying!

Archived