Introducing Darmok!

lepirin

Went to the LFS today to buy a new fish, picked the closer one, since I *knew* they would have pearlscales and ended up buying the rest of my stuff online at vvvv (if anybody cares, they've got a 10% off if you pay with paypal)

Anyway . . . PHOTOS

Here is Darmok, he is about an inch and a half long (not including tail fins)

D1.jpg

D2.jpg

D3.jpg

D4.jpg

D5.jpg

D6.jpg

His pearl scales stand out a bit more in real life, and I intend on beefing him up to take advantage of his potential for golfballness. He's also got a bit of a crown going, though I'm not sure how much of that will remain.

Awe thanky!

I just realized that I made it sound like his crown would go away . . . I meant that I'm not sure how much it'll grow.

I also think that considering the low light intensity that my fish get, he'll probably lose his black spots, which I'd be entirely okay with. Even my moor is starting to have his gold expand.

interesting name; why did you give it to him? what does it mean?

WARNING: Geekness be found here.

There is an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation where they initiate first contact of sorts with a species that speaks in metaphors. The alien captain and Captain Picard are transported down to a planet (El-Adrel)by the alien ship.

The alien captain continues to say, "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra," apparently in an effort to explain himself.

Eventually through out the entire episode you realize that Darmok and Jalad are people from his history, and at Tanagra they met a beast, together they fought the beast and were able to put aside their differences, becoming friends and comrades.

So that is where Darmok comes from. Once he gets through quarantine, I shall be picking up another fishy, this time hopefully a lionhead, and naming him Jalad, and they shall live happily together with my other two fish in my 40 gallon tank which I am calling Tanagra.

The quarantine tank is going by El-Adrel.

A-Ha! another trekkie, although I only really like one of the series and can't remember what it is called. It has guy in it that doesn't have any emotions. Derr, my brain is numb this morning, can't seem to wake up.

btw, Darmok is precious! :heart

A-Ha! another trekkie, although I only really like one of the series and can't remember what it is called. It has guy in it that doesn't have any emotions. Derr, my brain is numb this morning, can't seem to wake up.

btw, Darmok is precious! :heart

Four of the five series have had regular cast members without emotions.

Original Trek which ran in the 1960s had Spok who was half human, half vulcan. He technically had emotions, like all vulcans (and humans) do, but suppressed them and used logic instead.

Star Trek: The Next Generation which started in the late 1980s and ran into the 1990s had Data, who was an android, completely devoid of emotion. However in the movies that were made after the show completed its run, he was given an emotion chip which changed all that.

Star Trek: Voyager which ran in the late 1990s and early 2000s had a vulcan crew member by the name of Tuvok.

Star Trek: Enterprise which ran in the early 2000s had a vulcan crew member, however as it was placed much earlier in the time line, she was subject to much more public displays of emotion, despite her attempts to suppress them.

Data is the one, I thought he was rather sweet. :)

I really like Data, he has an innocence about him that is missing from a lot of characters.

I thought it might have been klingon :)

You're making me want to name a fish General Martok! I can't do that yet, the next fish after Jalad (which means a second large tank) will be Fred and George. After that though, I really aught to get another crowned pearlscale or possibly an oranda and name him General Martok. He would clearly have to have wen growth, and having bumpy scales wouldn't be a bad thing either. It would fit the whole Klingon thing.

My biology teacher read my name wrong one time and started calling me "CAPLAHH" everytime he saw me. Lol, he said it sounded like a Klingon name.

*giggles* I love it when teachers are geeky.

What an adorable fish :heart You picked a cutie!

Awe, thanks :D

Archived