I Have One Goldfish Losing Tail Fin

Torbe

I have a year old part oranda goldfish that is losing it's tail. :o It is in a 55 gallon tank with two other goldfsih who have not lost any fin. The other two do not seem to be picking on this particular fish, and I've already treated him for any possiblity of ich despite the fact that I haven't seen any white spots on him at all. I'll post my data on the tank after I check it this evening. The fish has lost three out of four of the spikes that made up it's tail. I did a 1/2 water change about two weeks ago. The other two fish are under an inch in size, and they have been in the tank for about four months. The part oranda is three inches and has been there for almost a year and a half. I'm really wanting to know what's happening there because I really love this fish. Like I said, I'll post the rest of my data asap.

it could possibly be fin rot.

If it is fin rot, it's probably not weird if the rest don't have it as well... I've been battling fin rot on one of my comets these past few months. His tank mate wasn't affected... I tried Maracyn 2 but it didn't work for me. But a forum member's suggestion to try a 0.02% salt treatment did wonders for him! The rot stopped and I think his fins are slowly growing back now. Good luck and hope your fish gets better :)

Be sure and check those parameters! Fin rot is usually brought on by stress from bad water allowing bacteria that are naturally present to get an upper hand. Did something happen to crash your cycle? Maybe chlorine or chloramine in the water when you changed it? Nitrobacters that convert nitrite to nitrate are delicate critters.... even a little chlorine or chloramine can wreak havoc on them. So, esp. check nitrite level - nitrite is the Devil where Goldfish are concerned.

Melafix will help grow the fins back, by the way. Works wonders. Salt is good, too.

Melafix will help grow the fins back, by the way. Works wonders. Salt is good, too.

I'm not trying to hi-jack a thread or anything. I just found a goldfish whose tail is really really frayed. Some of her others fins are too, not as bad though. I have no idea what her history is since I found her in the garbage outside. I am doing a Melafix treatment with her and I was wondering if there are any other things that I should do for her? If she was picked on by other fish is Melafix still the right thing to try?

Thanks.

Melafix is a good, all-purpose antibacterial agent. Pimafix will help with some of the fungal infections. When i quarantine a new fish, I usally use both. If gill disease is evident, I quarantine with the nasty tertracycline, too. Nasty in that is stains the water, red. I saw pics of your baby, blue Oranda and think she is suffering from good-old-fashioned frayed fins [possibly NOT rot] - usually associated with high ammonia. Either way the melafix will help. Good luck with him/her. WE have a baby, blue Oranda, too. Can't imagine anyone leaving one in the trash. This is my favorite color for an Oranda.

Melafix is a good, all-purpose antibacterial agent. Pimafix will help with some of the fungal infections. When i quarantine a new fish, I usally use both. If gill disease is evident, I quarantine with the nasty tertracycline, too. Nasty in that is stains the water, red. I saw pics of your baby, blue Oranda and think she is suffering from good-old-fashioned frayed fins [possibly NOT rot] - usually associated with high ammonia. Either way the melafix will help. Good luck with him/her. WE have a baby, blue Oranda, too. Can't imagine anyone leaving one in the trash. This is my favorite color for an Oranda.

Thank you for the help. She seems to be doing well and Poe is so full of energy now it's crazy. My Oranda still sits at the bottom for awhile, until I feed her and she perks up. I hope she does okay. Again, thank you.

Archived