Goldies Loosing Scales

Guest Chipie

Hi,

I just purchased 2 new Orandas (2 inches) and i noticed that they have lost some scales. One of them i could not find one morning until i lifter my driftwood. It seems that he got stuck somewhere under it at night. That was last morning. This morning, the other oranda was missing some scales also. You can bet that i changed a lot of stuff in my aquarium this morning. But now, i was wondering if i should put some Melafix in the aquarium to help the scales grow back or should i just leave it as it is and hope it heals ok.

I have 3 other goldies in the tank and they are all doing fine, including the 2 orandas.

My water is very good Amonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrates 10. I will be doing water chages as soon as i detect a bit more nitrates.

I have some Pimafix and some melafix. Should i use it ? Would it bother my cycle ?

Thanks

You could add melafix as a precautionary measure, I know opinions on its effectiveness are divided but it shouldnt harm your cycle. Ive added Melafix on several occasions before and asides it making the water a bit bubbley near the surface I dont think it did anything that good clean water wouldnt have. My comet lost scales after injuring himself on an ornament months ago and many of those havent grown back though they havent caused him any problems either.

If your fish do not have any other strange behaviors (e.g. dive-bombing into the gravel, zooming head-first into obstructions, flashing/scratching themselves on objects) then I would recommend removing the decorations and keeping the water prestine. Afterwards, then maybe you can add melafix, it certainly wouldn't hurt. :)

If your fish do not have any other strange behaviors (e.g. dive-bombing into the gravel, zooming head-first into obstructions, flashing/scratching themselves on objects) then I would recommend removing the decorations and keeping the water prestine. Afterwards, then maybe you can add melafix, it certainly wouldn't hurt. :)

Hi again,

No all my fish are acting normal and i've checked my water parmerets again and the water is very good.

Amonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 10

PH 7,4

So i will wait and see if no other scales fall off and that it heals ok. If not i will use melafix. On the melafix bottle it says to put one teaspoon per 10 gallon. Do i have to add that amount every day for a week or just once and wait a week. I'm confused.

help!

Thanks a lot for the info. I guess i just needed some reasuring. So scared of hurting the little ones.

I'll wait and see how they do in the next few days.

Thanks again.

Thanks a lot for the info. I guess i just needed some reasuring. So scared of hurting the little ones.

I'll wait and see how they do in the next few days.

Thanks again.

It is totally impossible to kid proof the environment- now I know how a parent feels- scales take a22 of a long time to grow back. My "Punch" is up bright and early every morning to catch the reeflection just right to battle the dark Orlando Knight ( his reflection) so that he may save us as well as the world. So intense as he is- uintil the reflection subsides he will not even stop to eat - now that is serious fighting- He gives me that look like " cant you see I am protecting our home?"

Eric

Eric has a Guard Goldfish!

LOL an attack goldfish..Grrrr....Beware :rofl

LOL Yes! especially - if you watch the video- he sets himself up in my hand - swimming up against the inside of my hand awaiting his massage- if I ignore him all22 breaks loose. I found out where the teeth in a goldfish are LOL

Eric

Hi,

I just purchased 2 new Orandas (2 inches) and i noticed that they have lost some scales. One of them i could not find one morning until i lifter my driftwood. It seems that he got stuck somewhere under it at night. That was last morning. This morning, the other oranda was missing some scales also. You can bet that i changed a lot of stuff in my aquarium this morning. But now, i was wondering if i should put some Melafix in the aquarium to help the scales grow back or should i just leave it as it is and hope it heals ok.

I have 3 other goldies in the tank and they are all doing fine, including the 2 orandas.

My water is very good Amonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrates 10. I will be doing water chages as soon as i detect a bit more nitrates.

I have some Pimafix and some melafix. Should i use it ? Would it bother my cycle ?

Thanks

ONe note - The nitrate levekl is not the issue here- that is the wrong indicator to go by in that it is one of the safer- toins- if you have 0 indicator for nitrates that could always suggest the possibility that the Ammonia is not being broken down properly by the bacteria inside the tank. Use the Nitrate level as an indicator of how well your "bio" filter is working. a little Nitrate is good for your tank- and at low concentrations will not harm your pet. I find the best gauge sor my tank is a little rock in my tank that always is the first place alge turns upo- the alge start growth at different levels of nitrate - I find it best to always see a little alge on that rock- as long as the snails have not gotten to it LOL. in fact - changing the water to often- depending on how you are changing it - the process- can shock a fish and send him on the spiral downward.

Eric

Hi Eric,

You have a video of your fighting fish ? Where can i see it. As for the water parameters, i have nitrates don't worry. I also check for ammonia, nitrites and ph at the slightest doubt. I have ottos in my tank so i used to have algea but now i don't lol. I have to feed them zuchinnis because the goldfish eat the algea pellets... the little pigs ;-)

Hi Eric,

You have a video of your fighting fish ? Where can i see it. As for the water parameters, i have nitrates don't worry. I also check for ammonia, nitrites and ph at the slightest doubt. I have ottos in my tank so i used to have algea but now i don't lol. I have to feed them zuchinnis because the goldfish eat the algea pellets... the little pigs ;-)

It's not really fighting. If you watch closely you will see that it- on its own, sets himself up inside my hand and awaits me to scratch his chin-he loves being rubbed- I just have to be careful not to disturb his slimecoast- the only problem is when I wish to do work in the tank- he demands attention and can get quite angry when you ignore him.

it is a so- so quality- I shall do a better one soon - but you asked.

Eric

Oh that is soooo cute. :heart Is that you only goldfish or do you have more? My 5 goldfish all come to eat in my hand and one of them (a fantail) likes to be touched also. I've only had them a few months so they are not as friendly as yours yet. It would be nice if you could make a video of your fish when you don't pet him and he gets angry. That must be hilarious.

Thanks for the video, i really enjoyed that.

Andr?e

Oh that is soooo cute. :heart Is that you only goldfish or do you have more? My 5 goldfish all come to eat in my hand and one of them (a fantail) likes to be touched also. I've only had them a few months so they are not as friendly as yours yet. It would be nice if you could make a video of your fish when you don't pet him and he gets angry. That must be hilarious.

Andr?e

I am glad; it is good to know it gives a smile to someone- yes I will be making a video of his actions when

I have to put plants in- he will go so far to bury his noise into the gravel where my fingers are- and if i still ignore him he wacks me with a backslash of his tail. This behavior was not forced and just happened one day- I understand - from some of the research being done - that trhere is a fear enzyme that does or does not develop during certain stages of growth- well he has been treated with the utmost care not to scare him- so maybe this is the case. - Right now he is the only goldfish- he is an alpha male - and is in a 28 gallon tankl with 2 XP4 filters, and plants galore- all with his favorite hiding places- he is constantly around me in that I work at home- and spoiled rotten- and I shall admit there is an attachment - and that scares me - for their health is so fragile- it is like having a toddler just starting toi walk around the house- glad you enjoyed it-

Eric

Eric

Eric

Andr?e

and yes he is the only one- and the way this one gets pampered - if I had more I would feel like the old lady that lived ijn a shoe and had all thise kids LOL

Guest Frau Squid

I think that video is the cutest thing I've ever seen a goldfish do! That is a perfect example of why I like goldfish better then any other type of fish. Thanks for posting that Eric.

Well that was just neat!! Although mine have never gotten THAT friendly I often get startled when I am intensly cleaning something & they get curious and check out my hands! Sassy every now & then lets me "pet" her wen.

Archived