Live Earth Worms

selena685

I recently bought a tub of live earth worms from my LFS. I keep them in the fridge. I was just wondering if anyone else here feeds worms to their fish and if there is a more humane way of cutting them up. I always feel really bad :cry1 . I have tried to just drop them in the tank whole but they tend to bury in the gravel :( Any suggestions?

P.S...also do earth worms feel pain? I asked around at work and half the people said no and the other half said yes :krazy:

Bad news Selena, the little guys have a nervous system and do feel pain :cry1 . I had the same delimma last year when I bought my newts, for the first few weeks they refused to eat anything but live earthworms. I did my best to find tiny ones they could eat whole, but sometimes I had to cut them. The only way I know to knock an earthworm out is using ethanol...hardly a healthy option for your fish! Sorry, looks like you're going to have to either stop feeding worms or keep cutting them.

Chrissy

Cut the head off first. That will kill the worm. The nerves will cause the worm to continue moving but it will be dead. Then you won't have to worry about pain when cutting them up.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently bought a tub of live earth worms from my LFS. I keep them in the fridge. I was just wondering if anyone else here feeds worms to their fish and if there is a more humane way of cutting them up. I always feel really bad :cry1 . I have tried to just drop them in the tank whole but they tend to bury in the gravel :( Any suggestions?

P.S...also do earth worms feel pain? I asked around at work and half the people said no and the other half said yes :krazy:

I was informed that you should feed them as live- since goldfish are omnivorus- - tell me if you find the secret to making this as a treat in that Punch wants to play with it - like he does the snails- untill it sleeks off into the gravel- and then he gives you a look like " where did my play partner go" .

I also wonder the safety - concerning diseases and such transmission from the worms- have not seen anything except literature of freeze dried forms and their risks.

Which end of the worm is the head?. I can't tell

If you don't know which end is the head set the worm down and let it crawl. The end that moves forward is the head.

I also wonder the safety - concerning diseases and such transmission from the worms- have not seen anything except literature of freeze dried forms and their risks.

I feed my fish worms all the time. Red worms and night crawlers don't live in water so they don't carry the water born diseases that blood worms and tubifex worms carry. Red worms and night crawler are safe and there one of the best foods you can feed your fish. Just cut them in pieces that your fish can handle. Some fish don't like the feel of worms in their mouth and will spit them out.

I used to feed earthworms whole. But that was back with Dottie - the common with the big mouth. Dottie would get all the big ones, and the rest would get the little ones. ^_^

Archived