Sign in to follow this  
ktinal900

Guppy Care

I may be getting some guppies soon and am wondering if any of you have any advice or tips on their care? I've never had guppies before and have read up a little on them but it's always nice to have some first hand advice :D Also, would it be okay to house them with my ghost shrimp?

I've kept fancy guppies in my tropical tank for the past couple of years and found them great to watch and easy to care for :D . The main tips I can think of are: unless you want babies, stick to just males or just females (males are 'fancier' so that's probably your best bet). Also, I had a lot of problems with them harassing slower fish by eating their slime coats, but that won't be a problem with your ghost shrimp. If you do eventually add other fish with them, you may want to stick with fast swimmers like tetras.

As for their combatiblity with your shrimp, I'm not sure because I've never had ghost shrimp. Maybe someone else can help you with that one.

Chrissy

Guppies should get along with ghost shrimp fine. Actually, they both prefer harder, more alkaline water with a little aquarium salt :)

Thanks, Chrissy Bee and Kissy :)

I went to the fish store today to get some guppies but was disappointed when I saw a few of them had these peculair, tan colored lumps protruding from different parts of their bodies :( What kind of illness or disease would cause this? I didn't get any since I was afraid it could have spread to the others. I'll be checking at another store later. :(

well if the lumps are on their gills it could be Ick but Ick is normally white.But Since they are on the diffrent parts of the body I wouldn't know about that.It seems a little odd to me I've never seen or heard about something like that.

If you dont find any guppies at your store i have some baby ones. These are i think the easiet tropical fish to care for because they need a minium of 5 gallons and they are pretty and fun to watch. If you want them to breed then you need trios (2 females to 1 male) but if you dont want them to breed i would go with all males becuase they are cooler. If you do get a male and female then you are going to end up with babies, but if the babies survive is a different story because most of the time if there isnt enough hiding places for them they will be eaten but if there are hiding places, then they will not be eaten! Let us know what you decide! Good luck!

Please keep us updated!