Goldfish Society Of America

nick11380

Last year I became a member of the Goldfish Society of America and have been recieving there "Goldfish Report".

Now it's time to renew my member ship. When I joined I thought members might be offering for sale some hard to find goldfish that their breeding but I haven't seen any fish for sale. Although "The Goldfish Report" has some interesting articles. I'm wondering if there are any other benefits of being a member.

YOu get good articles in the report. You get to have contact with others all around the nation that share your interest in fish. You can have more or less contact depending on how you wish to go about it. I have met dozens of wonderful people - and a number of impressive breeders and judges. I have learned a tremendous amount of information about fish that is not generally in print anywhere - learned it by talking to people.

I have found and traded numerous great fish - and found out about many private "auctions" of fish between breeders.

And, most important in my eyes, I have supported the love and furtherment of the goldfish - for goldfish are ever transforming and changing. Only by our suppport - in interest and dollars - can the field of goldfish properly be transformed and renewed now and in the future.

:)

Yeah, well, not much I can add to Daryl's post - thanks, Daryl!

A few issues ago there was a list of a lot of breeders here in the US, how to contact them and what kind of fish they breed. That list doesn't go out in every issue, only ever so often. But any time you are looking for a goldfish to buy, you can contact Terry, the editor, via Info@goldfishsocity.org, and he gives you all the information you want.

The best time of the year for goldfish is usually in the spring or early summer, thats when the young fry have reached a size where they can be shipped safely. Some breeders also ship eggs to some members, but you gotta have some experience in breeding before attempting such a venture. Besides, you don't see what you get, as in a finished fish - you have the suprise effect as to color and such. All you'll know is that you get a certain breed, but everything else is an adventure, so to speak.

Every now and then members offer things goldfish related, and for a while the Society had goldfish books and other items, like pins and such, for sale. You were also able for a very long time to buy rare old issues of the Goldfish report, but those unfortunately were pretty much destroyed when hurricane Katrina came into Mississippi. I think a few are on hard drive, but nothing more exciting than seing a true old issue, on old paper and all. If I remember right, back then they printed them on different colored paper. I saw some pink, blue, and green issues on ebay every now and then.

I applied to GFSA as of last week and can't wait to become a member. Being active in breeding and showing dogs, I can't imagine not belonging to my Breed Club as well as local All-Breed Club.

Archived