Sick/dying Fish?

Guest lauren11

Guest lauren11

Well I don't know what type of goldfish it is, but i got it last weekend and its been turning black and ive been looking on the internet and it says its normal? not sure about that, but lately its just been floating around the bottom and hasnt been eating. so if you could help me that'd be great!

Please tell us more about your fish and fish-home so we can better answer your question.

How large is your tank?

Do you keep a filter? If so, how many gallons per hour (GPH) is it rated?

Do you know how to test your water? If so, what are your readings for ammonia, nitrite, & nitrate?

What is your water's pH?

What is your water's temperature?

Is there any other behaviors your fish has been exhibiting?

There may be more questions that others will ask you to answer, but these are probably the most important ones that will help us diagnose your fish. Black markings can be attributed to HIGH levels of ammonia, which is a chemical excreted by fish, that burn the fish and cause black scabs.

I would recommend you IMMEDIATELY change at LEAST half the amount of water (be sure to dechlorinate!) for probably twice a day everyday in the next few weeks and see if the black markings clear up.

The easiest way to deal with levels of bad chemicals in tanks is to keep at least 10-gallons per goldfish as they produce much high amounts of ammonia than other aquatic pets.

Please also consider this information that can be found on the main webpage, it's chalk full of good information about waste chemicals and establishing your tank and filter: http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

Keep us updated and good luck with your fish!

Guest lauren11

How large is your tank? my tank isnt very big but i dont know how many gallons it is

Do you keep a filter? If so, how many gallons per hour (GPH) is it rated? no filter, i clean it myself

Do you know how to test your water? If so, what are your readings for ammonia, nitrite, & nitrate? i dont test it, i use this aquasafe stuff everytime i change the water

Is there any other behaviors your fish has been exhibiting? no, it just floats at the bottom

god i am not good with fish at all =(

Hi and :welcome

ok. if it is turning black, this is a sign of ammonia burns. when you get ammonia burns, it means that your ammonia is high. you should have no amonia in the tank. ammonia typlically means that you are over stocked or that your tank in cycling. you can lower your amonia by doing water changes with out disturbing the cycle.

once the cycle is complete, you will still have to do frequent water changes to keep the nitrates down below 40 ppm. i would strongly suggest getting a test kit.

do you have the length, width and hight of the tank? because i can calculate it for you.

a fancy goldfish(double tail) needs a minimal of 10 gallons per fish because they can get 6-8 inches and they are very dirty fish. if you have a common/ comet goldfish(single tail) you need a minimal of 20 gallons per fish because these fish can get 12-14 inches and they too are very dirty fish.

you really need a filter. as i said before goldfish are dirty fish and are basicly pooping machines. your gph should be 10 times the size of the tank.

i hope this helps and good luck :)

Don't be discouraged! A majority of the members here at Koko's were in the same exact boat as you are right now. If this is your first goldfish pet it can seem daunting at first, but the more you learn the better you'll get as a goldfish-keeping and the stronger and healthier your goldfish will be!

To start off, do the water changes I've recommended and either purchase a test kit for ammonia, nitrite, & nitrate OR take a sample to your local fish petstore and ask if they can do the tests for you.

If you decide to ask the petstore to give you exact numbers and not just a "good," "moderate," or "bad."

Get those water changes going and find out the dimensions of your tank for us! Good luck!

Guest lauren11

im really confused though because there are two fish and only one of them is turning black, but i am trying to get a bigger tank now from a relative, but i dunno if he will die by the time i get it =( plus i went to w almart (since that is where i got the fish) and they have no kits.

plus i went to w almart (since that is where i got the fish) and they have no kits.

really? i always get my test strips from wal mart

if only one fish is turning black, then i guess the one turning black was less tolerant to the amonia...

im not really sure though

Guest lauren11

hmm... do they just come in a bottle? maybe i could get some from my science teacher at school cause he prolly has some, but are you saying if i get a filter then the nitrate or whatever will go away? im still confused on how to get rid of it...

What happens with a filter is that it pumps the fish water and removes physical debris out of it. In order to also have it chemically clean your water, it must develop what are called "nitrifying bacteria" or good bacteria. :) One set of bacteria eats the ammonia and poops out nitrite, then a second set of bacteria eats the nitrite and poops out nitrate. Then you, as the owner, change the water to get rid of the nitrate.

Unfortunately, the growth of nitrifying bacteria is SLOW and often times painful. The only way to keep your fish safe during this process of growth is to change the water OFTEN and to dechlorinate each time (as chlorine will kill bacteria on contact).

So keep up the water changes! When will you get the new tank from your relative?

Is there any other petshops near you? If you have a printer and a vvvv, you can print out an ad for any master kit you like on their website (the one I have is currently priced at $13.49) and take it to their stores. They'll price match it (reg. price $28) and so that way you can test your water.

Or call a store (even the Wal*mart) and see if they'll test the water for you.

Again, water changes are necessary!

If you cant afford, or cant get hold of a bigger tank right now, go grab a plastic tub from your local department store (at least a 20gallon). You can attach the new filter on the tub as well and this will act as a good temporary (well as long as you want) home for your fishes! :) They should only cost $10 or so.

oh my gosh that is so long, but i am emailing my grandma and im gonna see, im hoping this weekend!!

In the mean time, changing about 50% of your tank's water every day should give them a better chance to hang on until you get a bigger tank and a filter. I know it sounds like a lot, but it will only be for a short period of time. Just please make sure that the water you put in has been dechlorinated and is as close to the same temperature as the water in the tank as you can get it.

Archived