Lionhead Eye Problem

Guest lionhead8

Guest lionhead8

My lionhead goldfish recently developed a large white blob around its eye. I don't think he is able to see with that eye anymore. There are no sharp objects or anything dangerous in my tank as my tank contains only a filter that spits water out. I don't exactly know how he got this. Is this an injury or a disease? Is there a way to help this poor fish? He is able to eat but just isn't as active as before, spending most of his time at the bottom swimming slowly. Thanks.

I'm new to this forum by the way.

Hi and welcome to the site.

Would you please answer all the information asked for in the box at the top of the forum page? thanks this gives us vital information.

Post back soon.

Guest lionhead8

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level?

Nitrite Level?

Nitrate level?

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?

Ph Level out of the Tap?

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 30+ gallons and around 5 years.

What is the name and size of the filter/s? AquaClear 150

How often do you change the water and how much? Around once a month and 95% of the water

How many fish in the tank and their size? 8 goldfishes and around small to medium sized

What kind of water additives or conditioners?

Any medications added to the tank? None.

Add any new fish to the tank? No.

What do you feed your fish? Food pallets.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Large blob of white on right eye.

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? Usually at the bottom but will swim to the suface normally for food.

I never knew about testing the water quality and such until I went to this website yesterday so I have no clue what my ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels etc. are.

Ok, the first thing I notice is you are severly overstocked. GF (fancy ones) need 10 gallons of water each to live in. They produce a lot of waste and pollute the water.

So with this in mind, your water is probably at a toxic level.

Especially with only one water change a year. The water needs to be tested and changed at least once a week.

So for now I would do a 75% water change and get tests to test it. ASAP, is best.

Unfortunatly most lfs don't tell customers what all is involved with keeping gf, so don't feel too bad, we can get you on the road to the right way of keeping them.

Post back soon.

Guest lionhead8

Thanks.

I cleaned the tank.

Well, below are some photos.

The lionhead with the eye problem:

b65133763.jpg

My tank:

t65133778.jpg

My fishes:

t65133791.jpg

I don't think the eye problem is a disease now. It looks like an injury. Any thoughts?

Well it certainly looks like the eye is at a loss. He probably don't see out of it.

So that leaves just making sure he don't set up for an infection.

At this point I would recommend he be taken out of the main tank and into a hospital tank. He needs to be on med food to ward off any bacterial infections.

Of course, since your tank looks bare, it may be a bacterial infection causing it.

Let me see if I can seek the advice of others.

Hi Lionhead and welcome to our forum. :)

Laurie's right on the overstocking.Not sure what you mean by 30 + gallons,but if it's less than forty,it should really only have 3 fish at max in it, to maintain decent control on the tank.If they're quite small,then you may be able to keep a few extra,but with that there's extra work involved.

The first thing that I want to really mention is the fact that your Aquaclear is much smaller than that tank size load can handle.Goldfish are very dirty fish and need a filtration rate 10x's the size of your tank which for 30 gallons,would be a filter of 300gph(gallons per hour) or more.Usually when you're overstocking,the bigger the filter ,the better. Not only will a bigger filter help with the load of waste,it will also help aerate the tank more for these fish.

The bigger the fish grow the more ammonia/waste that they produce.Changing out water once a month at 95%,will cause major problems for you.Goldfish really make enough waste to have to do the water changing on a weekly basis,sometimes even more often depending on stocking/filter's,etc.That is why is is so important to actually have a good drop test kit that will keep you aware of what all your levels are,and helping you to realize just how often/how much water you need to change out to maintain good water quality.

I have seen fish with such severe ammonia burn that their eyes have looked completely lost,but in time and good water,they did heal up.For me personally,the pic is hard for me to tell if it's a glazing from poor water or if the eye is actually missing.If that is the case though,I actually have three fish that live with one eye just fine.Perfect water especially, must be maintained while that eye is trying to heal in order to keep any secondary infections from setting in. How long has the fish's eye looked like that?

When you say that you just cleaned the tank,can you explain what you did?

You also mention that the tanks been set up for 5 years-How long have you had these actual fish in it?

Archived