2gal Heater

Anic

My yellow Crowntail, Xanthe, lives in a 2gal that sits on my bedside table... which is right in front of the window. Since it's December, that spot by the window will get really cold. We've already had below freezing nights and days that were pretty close to that. So far, the tank has stayed about room temp-- roughly 70*F, sometimes warmer. I can't move his tank to another spot because of lack of space.

I know I need a heater, but I don't know what kind would be best for him.

Those little hydor ones are good, they are cheap and do the job in a 2 gallon tank just fine.

Or a 25W on a lower setting than the temp you want also works. But you would have to keep an eye on it incase it did overheat.. but Bettas like warmer water.

I set my 25W (Also in a 2g by a window) at 25C and it goes up to 27C.

Yup the hydors are great if you can find one at your lfs near you. They even have a hydor that is flat and and that just raises the temp slightly a few degrees. It can be put under the substrate or suction cupped along the wall of the tank. I got mine at mmm. Mine kept my 3 gallon tank around 75 degrees.

I am currently using a 50watt hydor in my 2.5 with no issues. I pulled it from my goldfish tank as my room temp usually stays between 68-75F... I put it in there to treat my betta for ich and it has stayed. The tank stays at 81f.

I got the 7.5 hydor for Zeke's 2.5 gal minibow he is now in. It gets up to 82 with the tank light on. At night it drops to 75 . I was afraid to get a heater with more wattage than that for fear it would heat to above 90

I bought a submersible 25w Visi-Therm Stealth Heater made by Aquarium Systems.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/supp...fm?pcatid=12060

See it on the left side of the container?

20061213-232914-640.jpg

It's keeping perfect temp in a 4 Gallon container. I don't know if it will be too long for a 2 Gallon container though.

That is a great heater Dan. I am sure you betta will love you for it and you will be able to keep his tank at a constant temp now. I love that pic of him checking it out. It looks like he is saying " What is that thing?" :blink:

I got the 7.5 hydor for Zeke's 2.5 gal minibow he is now in. It gets up to 82 with the tank light on. At night it drops to 75 . I was afraid to get a heater with more wattage than that for fear it would heat to above 90

img3042330.jpg

I think it is just good for 2-5 gallon tanks. at least that is what it says on the box. I read a review on mmm's website and someone said it will raise the temp in a 2 gallon by 5 degrees, in a 5 gallon by 4 degrees. I have mine in Zeke's 2.5 gallon minibow and it keeps it around from 82-86 degrees and it was 72 in his tank without a heater so that person's calculations maybe a llittle understated. But if you have a smaller tank like I do it is pretty good.

Guest Betta_Fan

I have a 1 1/2 gallon bowl will a mini heater be alright in there.?

I know I probably will have to play around with the heating until i get it right before the fish arrives.

I have mine in Zeke's 2.5 gallon minibow and it keeps it around from 82-86 degrees

Wow! Is that high?

I've been keeping ZhaoYun's water jungle at about 78F. Is that warm enough? :blink:

Sorry for my ignorant question - I've read different suggestions. I guess I just need to hear from folks that are Betta keepers. :D

Thanks,

Depends on who you talk to Dan. Some people say to keep them at 76-80 some say all the way up to 86 degrees. I think Zeke needs the extra heat because of his age. you betta should continue to do great at the temp you are keeping him at

I've been keeping ZhaoYun's water jungle at about 78F. Is that warm enough? :blink:

I keep my Betta at a constant 80F using a heater-stat. Some of this will depend on the climate you live in and what the ambient room temperature is in your home as many people just keep them at room temperature without the aid of a heater at all. Bettas don't like flutuations in temperature so as long as it remains constant and unfluctuating they can adapt somewhat, although they do seem to do better in the high 70's/low 80's as Kris says. As long as your betta appears happy, healthy and is thriving Daniel, I think 78F sounds great :)

Mr.Bumblebee is correct. I live in St. Louis , Mo. and it is mcuh colder in the winter here than in Southern California where you live, Dan.So the temp you have him at is fine as long as he is active and happy as Mr. Bumblebee said. My betta is very old as well. I think he needs the warmer temp.

Archived