Omg! I Think I Killed My Fish,

vmlola

:( Both of my six year old Common Plecos have died within a week of each other. I bought them at the same time about six years ago and they have been together in the same tank and seemed to be very close. They were about 2 inches long when I bought them and grew to about 9 inches long. We called them the "Surfer Dudes", as they would swim upside down together in the bubble wall for long peroids of time. They did this for years. We loved watching them and anyone who came to visit and saw them would just be amazed.

I set up a 37 gal Oceanic tank a few months ago and put in the tropical fish that a friend was giving to me. Well a few weeks ago I took one of the plecos out of the 30 gal tank to go into the 37 gal tank because the plecos were getting so big and I figured one in each tank was better. After a week passed the pleco that was left in the 30 gal tank died. :cry1 No sign of injury or illness, he just had died one night. This morning as I was doing the normal turning on of tank lights I found that the pleco I had moved to the 37 gal tank had died during the night. Again, no sign of injury or illness. Water in both tanks show no problems either, as they have been cycled for some time and I ran params on both and water was pristine.

Do you think separeting them caused their death? I read that they can live 10 or more years and they were only 6 years old. I feel so guilty for moving one buddy from the other.

Were the Ph's the same in each tank that you moved them too? I know it's probably a long shot,but..... :idont

The only other thing that I can think of is a big water change/temp changes.I know that most times they advise you to not put two Plec's together,but when I bought mine years ago,they were both tiny and I had no clue at the time.Even though they occasionally nudge the other out,they've always been in a not big enough tank,because I too tried to seperate them and give them both more space. Coincidental?????I don't know.

I'm sorry that you lost them. :(

Both tanks are kept at 78 degrees F. The pH on both stays right around 7.8. As far as water changes, nothing has changed from the past, 30% change, once a week!

I just find it odd that they both died a week apart after be separated for a couple of weeks! They never showed any aggression to one another when together and looked very healthy.

vm I'm so sorry for your loss :(:hug My common plec is currently 11 inchs long and I love his antics.I know how much you must miss them :hug

Archived