Looking For Ideas

Guest elise

Hey everyone,

I'm going to be getting 9 or so baby comet goldies this spring from someone who is raising them up for me. I'll be keeping them in a baby pool or two until they get larger. I have a pond, but it is located on my family's campground, and it is a catch-and-release fishing pond. I'd like to somehow section off a no-fishing area for the goldies... just wondering if any of you had an idea of how to go about doing this? Thanks! :)

Well the section off the pond might not be a good idea because say a crazy goldfish will jump over the section, harmful parasites, and if the goldfish get out they will compete with other fish.... You could build a pond only for the goldies but i wouldnt recomend the sectioning off the pond... Im not an expert, but that is wat i would think.. Levi

How big is your pond and is it land locked (no rivers running in or out)?

If your pond has a river or stream running in or out it would be illegal to put goldfish in it and you could get into trouble. If your family is renting a spot on the camp ground and doesn't actually own the pond you could also get into trouble for adding goldfish.

Assuming your pond is land locked and your family owns it. The only way I know that you could section an area off for no fishing would be with a large net. I have a large land locked pond in wisconsin with goldfish in it so your ponds condition in New york will be simular to mine. Just for reference my pond is about 1 acre (43,560 square feet) and 25 feet deep.

Goldfish won't stay in one area so unless you have an area sectioned off with a net for your goldfish the goldfish will swim around the whole pond.

My goldfish swim freely though out my pond and are currently 16-18 inches long. As long as your goldfish don't have diseases or parasites when you put them in your pond there nothing you need to worry about.

Your comets will survive the winter and they don't need to be caught and brought indoors at the end of the summer.

My biggest problem when introducing new goldfish into the pond is that if their not big enough the game fish will eat them.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. Sorry it's taken me so long to post again.

Yes, we own the pond and it's land-locked. It sounds like it's about the same size as yours, Nick. However, I am worried that they will get eaten by bigger fish, or even if not, that they will not be able to keep up with the competition for food.

I'm actually hoping that my dad will go for building a pond just for them. He's got a backhoe, so it wouldn't be all that much work. The peace of mind would be worth it anyway. :)

There is a good chance that your goldfish will get eaten by the bigger fish . I had tried putting goldfish in the pond several times and they would always disappear most likely eaten by the bass and northerns. It wasn't until the pond did a total freeze out and all the northerns, bass and larger fish died that the goldfish survived. The pond frose out because my dad got a bunch of geese and they crapped up the pond causing excessive weed growth. After the total freeze out I put 100 feeder goldfish in the pond. A year or to later a couple bass turned up. I'm guessing that either some wild ducks or geese brought in some eggs or some baby bass survived the freeze out.

The 2 bass would swim with the goldfish (the goldfish and bass both being around 3 to 4 inches) and they basicly grew up together. Now the goldfish are around 16 to 18 inches long and the bass are around 20 inches long. The goldfish and bass have been swimming around with each other for the last 10 years. When I add new goldfish they have to be over 6 inches or the bass will eat them. You don't have to worry about the goldfish competing with the other fish for food. Because if they are commons or comets they will win.

Archived