Taking Information From Other Sites

koko

• Admin

Due to a lot of laws and other things that I will not go into, I am telling you guys that if you find an article with good information that you would like to share with people, DO NOT PASTE IT HERE, just post a link to that article.

I don't want it on this site due to copyrighted laws, also please don't be sneaky and think changing a few words will get around it either. Just post a link to the information !

:exactly:bingo:

Just one question Koko what if you have written one of these articles yourself do you still just post the link.I always just post links anyway but I just thought I would ask as I have pics I have taken posted on other forums that I have also posted here does that mean I can't post them here if I have posted them on another site.

If you post anything on another site before posting here then it belongs to the other site, not you. So you would fringe copyright though you wrote it.

I always thought copyright belonged to the owner of the article as I hold copyrights to things I have had published and they can't be reprinted without my consent.Mind copyright is a complex thing am only going from personal experience.

Any artistic material (photos, articles, stories, songs, music . . . ) belong to the original creator of the work. If you post them somewhere else, you still maintain the rights to that work.

If I create a song about goldfish, even if I post it here, it still belongs to me.

Some exceptions to this would include works for hire. If you are hired to create something, the copyright belongs to the person who hired you to make it, not you.

Additionally, you can chose to give up your rights and let anyone copy it if they wish. Though most people do not do this.

But simply posting something to another community does not mean that you lose your rights to it. Otherwise Koko would own all of our goldfish photos that we post on this forum, as well as all of our words that we have said . . . and she doesn't.

She does however have the rights to publish any photo submitted to the contests or any other area where she specifically said they may be used in a calendar or something.

• Admin

Just one question Koko what if you have written one of these articles yourself do you still just post the link.I always just post links anyway but I just thought I would ask as I have pics I have taken posted on other forums that I have also posted here does that mean I can't post them here if I have posted them on another site.

If it is yours you may do what you would like with them, Im talking about taking something that doestn belong to you, it would be like some one taking your car to show someone else....... Does that make since ??

I am on another forum and unless you copyright your work it belongs to the forum its on. I believe the laws to copyright are really complex so maybe one rule doesnt apply to all.

But yeah, if you go around plagerising then you will be found out one way or another.

hmm what if we copy something, but we cite our sources? kinda like in a paper? that's not plagarism, but would you prefer that we just stick the link instead?

I am on another forum and unless you copyright your work it belongs to the forum its on. I believe the laws to copyright are really complex so maybe one rule doesnt apply to all.

But yeah, if you go around plagerising then you will be found out one way or another.

It certainly doesn't hurt to consider the copyright policies of the site you're posting to and to keep that in mind when you're deciding where to "publish" your work.

• Admin

hmm what if we copy something, but we cite our sources? kinda like in a paper? that's not plagarism, but would you prefer that we just stick the link instead?

Links please, links only, I dont want another sites content on this site, its like taking... :D

Q. to L.E.Pirin. I always believed what you stated to be the facts but how come some people get ripped off by publishing companies if they publish a novel on the web? Sorry, a bit off topic but pertanent to the copyright question in general.

ok here is an example i wrote a poem it is copyrighted if

as you can see on the bottom of this poem it has the copy right with the yr and my name basically what koko means is that if it is from another sight that a person wrote and has that

Copyright ?2006 with person name on it then it is theft and actually is punishable by law so if it is even found on koko's site not only the person who copied it gets in trouble koko does too but if it is your work then it shouldnt matter as it is yours but notice the copyright if someone uses my poem and changes it around or what ever then i can take action just an example

A Poem For Past Love

This Poem Was Written For My Past Love Hamm Who I Loved Very Much

Love is a great thing the way it makes you feel inside

Love never lets you down

Love makes you feel like you like you are walking on cloud 9

Love is true pure and untamed

My heart was untamed until i met you

Love is unconditional

It's like a burning flame that never dies

It burns bright inside you

And it gives you a feeling a warmth

Love makes you do crazy things

And makes you act all crazy

Love has no limits or expectations

Love is unconditional

My Dear Hamm

I love you so no matter what

I love you unconditionally

Heart Soul Body & Mind

I love you so much that i think of us being married

And having a family together and growing old together

And just being happy

Jillian V Flaherty

Copyright ?2006 Jillian V Flaherty

• Admin

But that is yours, that doesnt bother me, Im talking about people taking a post or a whole page and coping and pasting it on here, most people dont give credit to the person nor the site that it belongs to,

So Im asking when giving info from another site and its good just link to it, dont cut and paste it here,,,,

:D

But that is yours, that doesnt bother me, Im talking about people taking a post or a whole page and coping and pasting it on here, most people dont give credit to the person nor the site that it belongs to,

So Im asking when giving info from another site and its good just link to it, dont cut and paste it here,,,,

:D

thats what i meant koko i was basically using my poem as an example to show that if you use it or alter it is punishable basically the links should be posted and not stolen from the sight esp when the person uses it without the authors permission and like you said stealing it posting it here and not giving the author credit for it that is why when i do go to alot of sites and read different stuff they ask you to ask them for their permission if you are going to use it i guess basically meaning they want your info etc and what and where you are using it for but i do agree ppl should just post the link as copyright infringement is a big no no and thats why i also stated as well that if the original author even finds it on your site not only does that person get into trouble you do too the authors of different things put alot of time and effort into their work and i do agree it would be like someone taking your car and showing it to someone with out ur permission

thanks koko i was supposed to go to law school when i was younger i was in college prep classes @ 9th grade cause when i was in elementary school i was an honor student when i hit 10th grade i was offered to go to newbury college of law in boston with a full scholarship but me being young and so fourth wanted to do my own thing now i have decided to go to community college for my Associates Degree in Applied Science my major paralegal studies then from there after i finish my 2 yr course i'm going to go to temple university for law and become an attorney in womens defense law at the moment i have been thinking about trying to open an org for women in many different positions right now it is alot of research involved on how to do it but i have to resources it is just finding the place and all but yeah law is what i love so many different things involved

Q. to L.E.Pirin. I always believed what you stated to be the facts but how come some people get ripped off by publishing companies if they publish a novel on the web? Sorry, a bit off topic but pertanent to the copyright question in general.

What do you mean by getting ripped off by publishing companies?

If you publish a novel to the web and then it is later used in a printed work with out your permission, you are entitled to compensation for the work you did. I know there have been cases where someone published a story, and then another author plagiarized parts of it in their written works that were later published, but this is not exclusive to the web. Claims of plagiarism can be found through out the printed media. J. K. Rowling was sued for it, as was Dan Brown. Both authors were successful in their litigation, however the claims were still made.

If you take someone else's copyrighted work and publish it to the web, then you are the one in the wrong there (like all the leaked pages of Harry Potter that get out before the book is released), and you can be held accountable for any financial damages done as well as possible jail time depending upon the severity of the crime and where the crime was committed.

Archived