Fishless Cycle And Filtration

karla80

Hi, just a quick question :)

I am planning on doing a fishless cycle for my new 55 gallon tank. Although I have enough filtration for the 55 gallon when I add my fish in, while the tank is cycling I will have less filtration than what is recommended for a 55 gallon tank b/c the fluval canister filter i have for my 20 gal, I will be adding to the 55 gallon when i will be able to put the fish in. Will the cycling process take longer if there is not enough filtration for the tank?

Basically without the 205 currently being used for Casper and Butterball's tank, the filtration for the 55 gallon will be approximately 475 gph during the cycling process.

Thanks

karla

Karla - When one speaks of cycling the "tank," a nitrifying bacterial community is being set up in the entire system (tank, gravel, plants, decorations, filter). The filter, which may contain biomedia, is particularly important. However, if the filter in question is already in use on another already cycled 20 gallon tank containing fish, then it should be safe to assume that the filter is already cycled, so to speak. That being the case, you don't need to worry that the filtration (water turnover rate) is less than what you will have after you move the fish into the tank.

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Archived