Balloon Belly

OldHag

Annette, I don't know if you can get it in Sweden, but here in the US is a food that takes care of internal parasites. Its called Pepco or Pepso or something. It is a very fine powder, and you can work it into a gel food if the fish is too big to see it. Although with a smaller fry, you can feed it just the way it is. I go and see who makes that food... :)

Okay, its from Jungle, but I had a hard time digging it up on the usual online selling places... :unsure: I wonder why that is? Anyhow, here is a link....

http://www.allivet.com/Pepso-Food-p/25996.htm

I personally see it more of a preventive measure in the way of feeding it to healthy fish once a week, but at that point it really can't hurt if you can find it. Poor thing, looks very unnatural that way. :(

here is an interesting story here i think you should read oldhag it may help you and you can decide what you want to do if you have a fish vet in sweden they can treat it and the treatment would be Baytril, an antibiotic. from a vet and also cyst draining by the fish vet and so far this woman's fish is doing weill and no signs of reoccurences so do not give up hope if there is a fish vet in sweden in your area get her checked and treated ASAP plus this disease is genetic as it had said

Edit: As interesting as that article was, it is not allowed to link to other goldfish sites from Koko's. If you wish to do a search on "WendyLove" and "Renal Cyst" you will find the link.

Edited by daryl

The fry seemed more activ today. Belly still sits on the bottom but she gets up when I approach the tank. The other fry looks fine. I will check those links when I get my "real" internet back...

Ok, today I took Belly up to do a closer inspection. She has 2 balloons inside, one big at the front and a smaller at the back. There are fluid in them. Anyone knows what that is and how long she can live with this??

Pics of left side.

102_1333.jpg

102_1334.jpg

Pics of right side.

102_1339.jpg

102_1341.jpg

I guess you can't see the fluid in these pics but I tried to get so close I could.

It could be her swim bladder thats bigger than normal as this is white when you do a post mortem on fish.

Need someone who has studied the anatomy of fish to see if they know why shes so big.

JenW would know. One of the Mods....? looks like the swimbladder is swollen and either liver or colon. Also the heart (orange organ under the gills) looks an unusual color to me. They are very clear pictures you've taken so I am sure someone will be able to help you diagnose soon Anette. How is she behaving?What kind of swimming? Bottom sitting? Are any other fish showing symptoms?

She is swimming quite normal, a bit wiggling of course, since she's so fat. Sometimes bottom sitting, but not so often. Noone of the others look like this. She eats fine!

Could I puncture the swim bladder, and let some gas and water out, without danger for her life? I read about bass being punctured and the tiny hole would heal in no time...

What do you think? :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all, got some fresh pics of Balloon Belly since she has been pooing with air bubbles in, I think she might got rid of some air. She looks a lot thinner now! I have started to wet her food.

But her body constitution is a bit weird, I think it is because it's used to the overweight, and she still swims wiggly, with her head up!

Picture177.jpg

Other side!

Picture181.jpg

Dancing!

Picture173.jpg

I know it is rude to tease the fish, but it is so cute! Here is Belly and Brownie trying to eat the brush!

Picture191.jpg

Glad to see this!! Yes BB certainly had some effective liposuction Annette ( sorry I tease them too :heartIt's a sign of love :) )

I am pleased she seems to be so much better. Perhaps that was a lot of air in there :hmm