Balloon Belly

OldHag

I don't know where to post this since I don't know if it is a disease or not. But here are som pics of my balloon-bellied fry, s/he is just getting fatter. I wonder if anyone here has seen anything like this, I have separated the fish from the other fry now and will fast it and then give it peas only. I am worried, because the fish won't stop swelling, in the end it must hurt??

102_1108.jpg

102_1112.jpg

102_1115.jpg

102_1122.jpg

Anyone knows???

:unsure: Anette,does she otherwise look healthy-no other symptoms?

I have Luna,(who is now turning out to be a boy) :rolleyes: who's so fat,and just keeps getting fatter.I got him when he was pretty small,and although he hasn't grown a huge amount-his belly is huge like it's going to burst.

Yes, she looks very healthy otherwise, swims and eats and looks happy! That's strange, otherwise I would have known it was a disease...

I thought it was the swimbladder at first, but now she's gotten fatter behind, so to say.

And, that fish has always had a big belly, since I found her in the pond with the others...

Edited by OldHag

There is a disease where either the liver or the kidney grows bigger than usual so giving a beer belly look. As far as i know it isnt curable. I notice on one of your pics there seems to be more than one lump, so it could be a tumour or two.

If she is eating well then all you can do is monitor it or even treat for internal parasites just in case.

Thanks for your answers.

Yes she has always been swelled at the area A, but today I noticed she's started to swell around B too! :unsure:

102_1115-1.jpg

I thought that might indicate digestion/intestine problems... but she ate peas yesterday and pooed green today...

Anyone else? Any more suggestions...??

I started a thread about this fish in the Swedish Forum, and just got the answer that it is a defect fish, and you don't keep defect fish...

I would keep an eye on the little one.As long as she is happy I wouldn't worry.Balloon Belly isn't a defect fish she's just a special fish :exactly

I would keep an eye on the little one.As long as she is happy I wouldn't worry.Balloon Belly isn't a defect fish she's just a special fish :exactly

I concur- a special fish- besides some of the best new breeds were mistakes- although it was not mentioned- speaking of getting fat- a real wake up call can be heard after looking at some of the food ingredients- - by the way are you feeding her high fat food? I was really suprised at some of the junk that they try to pass for fish food.

I fed all my fry goldfish flakes from Tetra, Wardley and/or Tropical. It's only this fish who is fat... she have been fastin 3 days but still fat, looks like constipation now... I will give her peas tonight.

I fed all my fry goldfish flakes from Tetra, Wardley and/or Tropical. It's only this fish who is fat... she have been fastin 3 days but still fat, looks like constipation now... I will give her peas tonight.

Constipation is usually to be caught early - in that the fish actys wierd at the onset- if he does not poop do not wait- add some epsom salts- I believe 1/2 teaspoon per 5 gallon was the recommendation and take a 1/2 pea - make a slit on the inside, and take one- one crystal of medium size and place in the slit - allow the crystal to melt in the half pea for a couple of minutes after you push the incision closed- - if you can feed directly- do this once in the morning and in the evening- but I doubt you will have to wait by the evenming for something to come out- - then have him on a primary of peas and veggie chips- with some tubliflex worms- the veggies push things thru the system pretty fast and they will need some protein on the way to recovery.

Eric

By the way- some of the worst junk is found in the Tetra min products- a simple rule of thumb is- if they list any type of "meal" as the first listing (highest percentage) don't waste your time with the product- Omega and Hikari seem to be at the top of good fish food- really look at the labels and also, be careful of the high Fat contents.

Eric

Edited by eric

Anette - that's a bit of swelling, more then when I saw the first pics. The swelling at the back could be a concern because that's the area of the liver but it's also where the intestine is housed. So maybe it could be a blocked intestine ..... or a swollen liver :hmm I would try a bit of epsom (1/8 tsp per 5 gallons) to see if this helps to purge but keep an eye on it. I too wonder if there's a parasite at play? Internal worms? When she poops, you could try grabbing a magnifying glass and breaking it apart to see if there's any worms within the casing. Is she still pooping ok?

She has pooped a lot green pea poop now, but still fat at the back. I don't know where to find epsom salt here. I can check her poop with a magnifier.

Well I will look for Hikari, I don't know if we have it here in Sweden! :(

And Epsomsalt... ??

Epsom Salt is Magnesium Sulfate- commonly used here for soaking sprains, etc, as well as a diuretic for human constipatyion problems- - You should have no problem getting the Hikari products there- omega I am not so sure. but do not waste time as the way it looks she is rather far along in something of a problem - have you attempted to treat her with any type of Maracyn or tetrascycline product for the possibility of internal parasites?

As she has pooped then you dont need the salts.

I still think she has something growing in her, either a tumour, an enlarged liver/kidney or she is full of parasites. If she isnt on her own then I would expect more fish to have the same symptoms so maybe the parasites can be ruled out.

Apparently a lot of fish that develop huge bellies have this enlarged kidney/liver

Well this is so strange. She lives with 6 other fry that have normal bellies. What worries me most is that her "back" part has swelled like this, before it was only the belly. But as she poops it can't be constipation. She is very active and looks healthy otherwise. I talked to my L F S, where I bought my fish, he said that there can be no disease, then she would have been dead by now, fry are sensitive. He thinks the belly are just some variation, like doubletail, her mother Gullet was very fat, I thought she was a shubunkin but too fat.

At which age can a female develop eggs???

My other fry got tubercles before they were one year.

Been looking around and i suspect something called polycystic kidney, which is also known as kidney enlargement disease.

Apparently its quite common in goldfish and causes cysts to form on the kidney usually giving it the look of a dropsied fish without the scales standing out. As you have seen, theres another lump developing and that could be more cysts forming.

The fish may even start to lose its balance as the cysts grow because the swim bladder gets pushed out the way.

A parasite, Hoferellus, can also cause the symptoms.

I would place the fish into quarantine just in case.

As long as the fish is eating ok and seems fine then its fine, but its a progressive disease and theres no cure so if she starts to suffer then you may need to euthenise.

Yes it is these second "lumps" that worries me... should I get medication for parasites or not, what is the best??? As I said the other fish are normal, just this one has always been "fat". No Maracyn here, will look for Tetracycline if you think so, it's difficult when you get a lot of advices.

The bellyfish is resting a lot on the bottom now, :( I think the big belly makes it heavy and difficult to swim, and her fins are so tiny. I got a medication from LPS, General Tonic, don't know if it's any good. It makes the water green.

I guess there is some internal growth inside that fish and that it will make life difficult.

I have internet problems right now, can't upload new pics.

No, that was not good :( a couple of the others started bottom sitting so I removed the green water, cleaned the tank and added AquaFuran instead. It's against bacteria. I hope that helps...