Omg, My Fish Too Has Layed Eggs

Marsha

I can't even type, I'm shivvering...I feel numb I feel like an idiot. My Blackmoor has layed eggs with the oranda and I just found out and I was not prepared.

Please help me relax as I'm almost crying now as I feel so bad that I couldn't be prepared and eggs are every where. They are all over the tub mainly on the ground.

I took some out to a nother tank but the eggs were on the filter and the filter has dirtied the tank water.

Please tell me something to calm me down

I can't think properly right now so I apologize 1000 times for all the trouble but pls help me tell me something

Uhh...thanks small ranchu but I don't know whether there'll be any fry as I've made a big mistake by not preparing myself.

I waited this for long but somehow was late in keeping something in the tank to collect the eggs.

Do you think the female will lay eggs again in another few hours after the first time?

Also, my male Oranda doesn't have a single breeding star on his body and that's what mislead me to believe that they won't spawn...

I feel awful as now I have my fishies in a medium size tank and there are eggs in the tub and also in a small 5 gallon tank. This is the first time and I was expecting eggs in the size of at least 5mm and these tiny eggs are extremely small.

From what I've read, sometimes they spawn again over the course of a few days. If you have a breeding mop, or something to make one of the DIY breeding mops in the tip of the month section, that'd be awesome, just toss it in just in case?

Congrats on thinking fast and getting some of the eggs to the 5 gallon bucket! That's a good start, hold some aside -- and based on the parent fish, they sound like they'll be beautiful fry.

Try skimming the breeding stickies at the top of the Breeding forum, they have a lot more info than I could ever fit in one post. ;)

And think of it this way, goldfish' natural relatives, the carp, have managed to breed successfully for countless generations in the wild, where the mom and dad aren't the only predators to worry about... scrub out the egg gunk from the filter as much as you can, remember some water changes, and congrats on the eggs! Sounds like you're doing a fantastic job so far.

Thanks alot johnnyfive. I can't thank you enough for your post as I was going crazy thinking I am such a nut for not doing enough.

I went through the other posts in the forum and YES they are great!

It was so unexpected but so happy that it happened... :) I really hope and prey that I'll be able to raise some healthy fry

Guess what...my female Oranda also sprayed her eggs with the male Oranda this morning as I watched.

I'm so excited and nervous whether I'll be able to take proper care but I'll do my best and hope for the best... :)

Ooh, lucky!

I'm so envious. I only have the one oranda, and s/he still hasn't shown whether s/he's male or female for sure. (I thought I saw some eggs bulging, but the little fatty just ate too much! :ignore )

Enjoy the fry, and DEFINITELY now give us pics once something develops. :D

lol marsha but i hope your fry do great and survive :) december 2 my female oranda,male ryukin and male ranchu did the same thing i'm telling you that darn rain storm we had last friday night definitely triggered it as of right now i have counted 10 fry that have hatched i dont know if there are anymore hatchlings yet but they are still attached to the egg sack as they only hatched yesterday they are so small and the only thing i can see are their eyes and their spine and i really have to squint to see them but hopefully others will hatch

I have more than 15 fry now... The older ones are 3 days old. I even saw a fry being born... :D I have put some powdered food and a little bit of egg yolk but don't really know whether they're eating.

I'm practising how to siphone and add water using a small tube... :D

Gosh, water changes are so tough. With a tiny tube, I'm changing water every day and it's hard work. My oldest fry are 6 days old and are about 1cm long. Some are even smaller. I hope they'll do fine as I have never raised fry before...

• 3 weeks later...

lol ... I didn't know anyone was reading this thread anymore...

But thanks for your responses. I have 22 fryas of now and they're 24 days old now. Biggest fry is about 1 1/2 cm in length and not that transparent anymore. Their tummies are silver in colour and the back is dark brown. Very inquisitive and always want to explore the tank. I have a small air stone in the tank and they're still in 6 inch deep water. I'm feeding them powdered baby fry food and they have to eat it and the algae of the tank as where I live you cannot find any other fry food in any of the 'lfs's.

I hve taken pic;s and pls pls pls bear with me as I always get my husband to upload the pic's and today I will some how get him to do that.

Ok...here are the pic;s I was talking about...

Eggs....(see the white dots on the bubble wall) actually these are the bad eggs but the good ones were so transprent and small I couldn't capture the image properly using my camera...

P1010111.jpg

Here's a pic of my one week old fry and note that they were in a yellow colour basin at the time...

P1010112.jpg

This is my fry about two weeks old and 1cm in length...

P1010113.jpg

Three weeks old fry....currently they're in a tank....

P1010114.jpg

I am so sorry as the pic;s are not clear ...but this is the best I could do with my camera...

Here's a side view....

P1010115.jpg

Archived