Coldwater Loach

JohnF

Hi to all,

Two months ago I set a 200 litre coldwater planted tank. All I have are 40 White Clouds. Although I have been very careful not to introduce any snails or snail eggs, I am having an infestation of Ramshorn.

Can anybody suggest the best "coldwater snail-eating loach" that does not disturb the substrate (or damage the plants) and will not harass the White Clouds? I have 8 weather loaches in another tank - they enjoy disturbing the substrate and are not that good in controling snail population.

Many thanks.

JohnF

hmm from what i've read, clown loaches are the best at controlling a snail population, but they need warm water. between 75-86 F (24-30 C). how cold is your water? :)

hmm from what i've read, clown loaches are the best at controlling a snail population, but they need warm water. between 75-86 F (24-30 C). how cold is your water? :)

Clown loaches are tropical; and are very sensitive to temp. fluctuations.

Tank water temperature is about 24 deg. C in summer, but goes down to approx 15 deg. C in winter. Some literature point out Botia superciliaris, but am not sur if it will bully the WCMM.

Most loaches are either tropical, somewhat pushy as they grow and will eventually harass the white clouds, or both. I can't think of any suggestions off the top of my head, but go to www.loaches.com and it will show you all the loaches. At least it could point you in the right drection.

Most loaches are either tropical, somewhat pushy as they grow and will eventually harass the white clouds, or both. I can't think of any suggestions off the top of my head, but go to www.loaches.com and it will show you all the loaches. At least it could point you in the right drection.

Thanks Sue

:heart

Archived