Luka Has Torn Fins!

Guest Gold Cissa

Guest Gold Cissa

Alright, my Ryukin Luka has been having some troubles lately. She's torn her bottom caudal fins, and one of her top caudal fins. :( Clear tears, no ragged edges, no discolouration or any signs that she might be ill. A few days ago I noticed, as I said below, that she had a red streak in her bottom left caudal fin, but because her fins are white and really thin, I assumed it was a vein. It looks like that. She has no more red streaks anywhere, her gills look healthy and she's as active and bright as always. Pigs out on her food. Her fins are erect, not clamped at all, she doesn't seem to be stressed and she's using her fins as always. They don't seem to bother her.

All my plants are silk and soft to avoid this sort of thing and the only new thing I added was a bubble wall. She loves to play in it, but I don't see how she could have torn her fins like that. What should I do? Keep an eye on her, keep the water pristine and salt to 0.3?.. that is 3 tablespoons per gallon right? Or? Any other suggestions? I'm not putting in anymore stresscoat, and I don't want to put in melafix because i'd rather not use "meds", unless I have too.

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0.3 (Time for a water change!)

Nitrate level? 10

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 8.0

Ph Level out of the Tap? 8.0

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 10 Gallons, been running for 3 weeks now.

What is the name and size of the filter/s? AquaClear 20

How often do you change the water and how much? 50% Every second day, or 30% Daily, depending on time constraints.

How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 fish, Almost 3 inches, including tail.

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, A bit less than 0.1% Salt, Cycle

Any medications added to the tank? Added a bit of Stresscoat when I noticed the first tear.

Add any new fish to the tank? No

What do you feed your fish? Omega One Goldfish Pellets, Pro-Gold, Omega One Freeze dried Bloodworms, peas, Frozen daphnia. (Not all at the same time. Alternated)

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? I found one bloody streak, but she has VERY thin white fins, and it really looks like just a vein to me.

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, ect..? None at all, she's very active, eating well and playing in her bubbles as usual.

Hiya Gold Cissa, tearing fins could be due to stress and if you're currently cycling your tank, this could be why. I think if you keep your parameters perfect, and salt at 0.1% then she should do ok.

salt to 0.3?.. that is 3 tablespoons per gallon right?

1 TEASPOON of salt per gallon = 0.1%

How did you get to 0.1% salt? 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon or 1 tablespoon per gallon? If it's 1 tablespoon, then you're at 0.3% so will wait until you post back on this :)

Try to keep her water perfect - which is hard to do when you're only half way through your cycle but it will also help heal her torn fins :)

Guest Gold Cissa

Hiya Gold Cissa, tearing fins could be due to stress and if you're currently cycling your tank, this could be why. I think if you keep your parameters perfect, and salt at 0.1% then she should do ok.

salt to 0.3?.. that is 3 tablespoons per gallon right?

1 TEASPOON of salt per gallon = 0.1%

How did you get to 0.1% salt? 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon or 1 tablespoon per gallon? If it's 1 tablespoon, then you're at 0.3% so will wait until you post back on this :)

Try to keep her water perfect - which is hard to do when you're only half way through your cycle but it will also help heal her torn fins :)

Oops! Did I write tablespoon? I meant teaspoon.

So you think it's stress? I thought that might be it but I wasn't sure. I imagine she is stressed. The cycle.. i've been doing my best to keep the water perfect but it isn't always. Well i'll go change her water again and keep the salt at 0.1 Thank you for the advice!

How much water do you reccomend I change during my cycling? I was thinking perhaps 50% wasn't enough every 2 days? I try to do it daily but I work a lot.

Thanks!

If you have Prime, then you could do 50% every second day and just double/triple dose on Prime. It detoxifies ammonia and nitrites making it harmless for your fish.

This will also help you if you're time poor :)

I'd also keep the salt at 0.1% as it protects the gills during the nitrites phase of cycling - then in a couple more weeks (or possibly 3-4) you should be out of the woods and into a cycled tank and your fish should improve at this time also :)

Guest Gold Cissa

I do have prime, and I will do that, thank you! :)

I appreciate your help so much! Not feeling quite as worried now, so I will go do that water change and make sure that she's still looking healthy.

Again, thank you thank you! :):) You've been a huge help and cut down on my stress a lot! :heart:happydance

Guest Gold Cissa

Well, i've just noticed that she has another red vein that I would have seen before if it had been there. There is also a red dot on her tail.

Besides that she's doing very well and hungry like a horse..

But i'm worried about the new red streak and dot. It's on her bottom right caudal fin.

I changed 8 of the 10 gallons and used a triple shot of prime, 10 tsps of salt.. and some cycle.

The ammonia jumped high once I did that.. how fast is prime supposed to work? I think it's not working fast enough, before I changed teh tank it was 0, now it's jumped up higher, and now the nitrites are 0 and the nitrates are 5.

GAH! I'm so confused. What should I do?

Prime works straight away but depending on your test kit, it may show higher. Do you have an API ammonia test kit? These ones give a true reading... If you've done an 80% waterchange, the ammonia should be almost non-existent...

Keep an eye on the red spot - it could be she's either stressed or coming down with a bacterial infection which is one of the first things to appear when a fish is stressed basically because the immunity lowers allowing any opportunistic bacteria to invade. But it could also be a water quality issue.

So I would try and get my hands on an API test kit so you can get an accurate reading and keep an eye on the redenss. Also, how does her poop look?

Guest Gold Cissa

Hmm, that's odd. My test kit is Nutrafin.. they all are. So I should look for API ones then? Okay, I can do that. I notice it's always high when I change and then by morning it's 0. It's really odd.

If it were a bacterial infection.. what would I treat with? Just in case.

I sure hope it isn't water quality because i've been trying to keep the tank perfect. I guess since it's cycling still..

As for her poop, it's stringy and she can't seem to rid herself of it. Part of it is white, part is the same colour as her food. Could this be a bacterial infection?

Oh boy.. this poor fish.

Guest Gold Cissa

Well.. the red looks a bit better this morning and my ammonia is now 0..

I'm hoping it's just that.. but the red is still there and i'm pretty worried. :(

Hmmm, the white stringy trailing poop isn't a good sign as it usually indicates bacterial infection which may be the reason for the redness also. Cycling a tank can cause havoc for both us and our fish but in the case of fish, the stress can lower the immunity leaving them open to catching things.

This may be what you're seeing now ...

Are you able to get any medicated food such as medigold? I would go with feeding this exclusively and the beauty of this medicated food is it won't mess with your cycle - especially as it's almost complete. Are you able to get any? It's available from www.goldfishconnection.com and they can express post it to you :)

Guest Gold Cissa

I'm in canada.. so I ordered some actually.. from another dealer. It won't ship until the 6th though he said, due to stock, and I bet it'll take a week to get here..

Hopefully she'll be okay until then.. She still looks perky and is eating fine. Doing her food dance and playing. The redness disapears and comes back..

The tears are healing nicely too. I'm hoping she's a tough girl, and I can feed her the medi-gold as soon as I get it and all will be well.

I hope. I'd be so sad to loose her. She's my first goldfish that I didn't keep in a bowl.. (my only other goldfish I had when I was 5 or so and didn't know better) and i'm really attached to her. I'm taking her perkiness as a good sign.

Archived