Crisis!

Guest im-trying

Guest im-trying

ive just tried to clean my fish tank and i cant find my syphon anywhere!!!! Im fairly sure someones thrown it out. My problem is now after cleaning down the side ive whiped up quite a lot of mess and depry and to make matters worse my second filter has packed in i just cant get it to pump properly and when it did it spat brown mist into the water:(

first thing tomrow im going to a pet shop *praying pet shop is open on sunday* to get a new filter and also a new syphon.

The water had been cloudyish for a few days do you think it could be an algea bloom ive noticed brown algae on the rocks.

Also ive just added some bronze cory cats do you think this could be dangerous before this the water tests were reading all at clear thats ammonia, nitrate and nitrite at zero do you think they will be okay over night?

NEED FAST REPLIES PLEASE

any help will be really apreciated

Andy

Hi Andy,

If you're fish are all looking like they're ok (they're still swimming around, breathing normally, etc) I would think they will be ok for just a night. It could be a good idea to do a fairly large water change if you're worried about ammonia build up, etc.

As for the cloudy water, I have had this happened sometimes only to go away after a week or so. When setting up a new tank I had cloudy water for quite some time and I needed to add an extra filter and some benificial bacteria to get it undercontrol. But I wouldn't worry about that until you have the other problems under control.

Good luck!

Guest im-trying

Hi Andy,

If you're fish are all looking like they're ok (they're still swimming around, breathing normally, etc) I would think they will be ok for just a night. It could be a good idea to do a fairly large water change if you're worried about ammonia build up, etc.

As for the cloudy water, I have had this happened sometimes only to go away after a week or so. When setting up a new tank I had cloudy water for quite some time and I needed to add an extra filter and some benificial bacteria to get it undercontrol. But I wouldn't worry about that until you have the other problems under control.

Good luck!

thankyou :) im fairly sure the goldfish will be okay they have survived much wose conditons

ive put some filter aid in and that has cleared the water the debry is stuck to the tank rocks etc now but at least its not floating to get stuck in the fish now i think my main problem is that o dodmt get a chance to use a syphon to get the waste out of the gravel and thats whats caused the problem.

im going to get some green away asap as well so i can get any suspended algea out of the tank as well ive done this before and its cleared it in a day or two

all the fish seem to be fine, the cory cats are hiding atm but thats nothing unusual really..... I dont htink its only day two in the tank anyway.

thanks again :)

ps you have beautiful fish

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it is a late reply, but my trick to get all the debris floating around is to use your fish net. I just scoop up poop, food and anything else floating around. It works great! I do it at every feeding and when I change the water, even if I vaccume the gravel, as there always seems to be things floating around when I accume or clean my fliter. :D

Take a piece of your airline tubing and use that as a fine syphon tube to remove the debris from the bottom of the tank. (BE CAREFUL OF YOUR FISH _ do not suck them up!!!!!) Scoop out cups of water from the tank itself to do a water change. That will work just fine until you can make or purchase a syphon tube from the store.

I would be careful of letting chemicals do the job that your filter and water changes should be doing. Floculators (for removing fine debris) can add up without good water changes, and algaecides are herbacide. What you are really doing is adding a herbacide to the water - it is a fine balance between enough to kill the algae and not harm the fish's gills. It is better to avoid it altogether if possible.

More gph in filtration and/or more frequent water changes should have the same effect on the tank and will be infinately more healthy for your fish.

:)

ive just tried to clean my fish tank and i cant find my syphon anywhere!!!! Im fairly sure someones thrown it out. My problem is now after cleaning down the side ive whiped up quite a lot of mess and depry and to make matters worse my second filter has packed in i just cant get it to pump properly and when it did it spat brown mist into the water:(

first thing tomrow im going to a pet shop *praying pet shop is open on sunday* to get a new filter and also a new syphon.

The water had been cloudyish for a few days do you think it could be an algea bloom ive noticed brown algae on the rocks.

Also ive just added some bronze cory cats do you think this could be dangerous before this the water tests were reading all at clear thats ammonia, nitrate and nitrite at zero do you think they will be okay over night?

NEED FAST REPLIES PLEASE

This might give an idea for a setup that cannot be thrown out and works:

Just for future note- a inexpensive way of taking care of 3 stress problems in one- removing water and adding water, as well as stressing when vacuuming. With Punch; I started by placing a plastic shutoff valve on the intake and then (going with the intake flow) I placed a T after the shutoff and placed another on the perp. portion of the "T" - all fittings screw and plastic ( salt on brass etc- even in the fresh water tanks is corrosive) the valves are all inexpensive ball valve types. the ball types give the best method for adjustment- in this case- I believe the whole sertup costs less than $13.00

By doing it in this fashion- opening up the side T val;ve allows you to remove water from the tank in that - as long as the "T" is below the first valve in the suction line- it actually produces pressure to force water out- and when adding water I partially close off the first valve- causing a suction at the "T" and therefore suction is created- . I hook a 3/8 inch hose to the slip on piece without clamping and use my 1 1/2 inch vacuum with only the vacuum in the water- the filter punp will make up for the temporary suction of whatever air is in the line- and I can regulate the force of the suction by adjusting the first valve in the line by opening or closing it. It is really inexpensive and takes little time- - but in my case I believe it was of little benifit in that all Punch wants to do is swim around the vacuum and be nosy aboiut what I am stiorring up- so much for stressing him out - but you get the idea for "normal" goldfish. The vacuum can even be the end of the hose with out any special apparatus. it is a 3 in one deal - especially when changiung large amounts of water- and wanting to add the water slowly - even when having water siphon on the other side of the tank while adding water thru this intake system.

Eric

Eric

Archived