Blood On Body

small_ranchu

• Test Results for the Following:
    Ammonia Level? 0ppm
    Nitrite Level? 0ppm
    Nitrate level? 20-30ppm
    Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.2
    Ph Level out of the Tap? 6.8
  • Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 55gal w/ 5 fishes(6months)
  • What is the name and size of the filter/s?

Biowheel 400 and aqua clear 700

• How often do you change the water and how much?

50% twice a week

How many fish in the tank and their size? 5 fishes 3 - 4 inch

<li>What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime + baking soda <li>Any medications added to the tank?N <li>Add any new fish to the tank? N <li>What do you feed your fish?<li>Gel food, pea, progold, hikari lionhead, omegaone, freeze bloodworm

<li>Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?Found blood on the body in one fish

<li>Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..?nope

Here is the pic of the fish that I am talking about....

IMG_4271.jpg

IMG_4273.jpg

IMG_4272.jpg

IMG_4270.jpg

I saw this problem last month and use Iodine on the spot. It disappeared for a month and saw again now. I am afraid, I might be a serious problem. By the way he is the largest fish in the tank so far and the tank is only ranchu tank. So assuming no one is attacking him as well. Please help me. Thnakls.

Hi Fred, how does his poop look?

Also, what brand blood worm are you feeding?

It looks like the start of a bacterial infection. Do you have any medicated food? Or what meds do you have on hand?

Do you have a tub you can separate him in? A spare filter?

Hi Jen,

Thanks for the reply. I feed them Hakari brand bloodworm. I can put him in 10g tank. I have medi-gold but I don't have the others. What should I get?

For poop, I have no idea yet. I will get back to you soon. Thanks again.

I would start him on the medicated food and if you can, try getting some Maracyn. Check to see if the medicated food does the trick first but to be honest, if you get Maracyn, it's excellent to keep in your cabinet as you never know when you may need it.

Post back when you can on the poop :)

Can you get Maracyn Plus? I've just been reading the product description and it sounds like an excellent broad spectrum that treats redness associated with bacteria...

Otherwise, I would try Maracyn II first and see if this helps. If you start feeding medicated food though, this may be all he needs :)

PS. I hope he poops for you soon :)

Hi Fred, when the poop goes stringy and also has some solid mass in the casing, it's possibly the start of bacterial infection and it won't always affect the other fish in your tank because their immunity may be strong therefore they aren't suseptible. Bacteria will invade when the immunity is lowered but don't get me wrong, if kept in contact with other fish, they too can catch it just like humans do via contact. So as long as you've got him separated - your other guys should be fine (just keep an eye out on them) :)

I am starting to feed them medi-gold :D Is it 1 week that I should continue? Thanks.

PS. I noticed one more thing this morning. His poop is super long like 8" but brown from the color of medi-gold. Do you know why?

img3041346.jpg

Is it the item are you talking about? I am waiting for his poop and really sleepy as well. She chooses to sick in the wrong time when I have my final exam.

I use this before using the pill form of maracn's, only because it seems to work SO well and you dont have to worry about it messing up your cycle! Good stuff! :D

Fred, feed for at least 10-14 days ...

Just on his poop, if it's about 8" long but the colour of the medicated food then this is both good and bad. Good because it's coloured and solid but bad because you may be feeding too much in one go. You could try going with 3 small feeds a day to give his digestive tract a chance to break down some of the food... How much are you giving him at each feeding?

Maybe reduce the feeing but increase the frequency - so he gets the same amount but spread out more over time. This should hopefully reduce the length of his poop :)

How is the redness? Does it look like it's fading at all?

Hi there.

I used to routinely get this type of infection from any new ryukin I bought. It looks as if the scales at the caudal peduncle are wounded, right? with a thick white, waxy slime covering it?

Surprisingly enough, all it took for me to clear it up (after trying salt baths which didn't prove effective) was to dose it with Melafix. One capful for every 10 gallons of my tank of the .1% version. The slime goo over the infected part disappeared and the angry-red blotch faded. Ever since I started dosing new arrivals with Melafix, i was never bothered with this infection again.

Hope that helps. :)

Just so we'd be sure if we're describing the same infection... here's a pic of my earlier ryukin that came down with the "blood-red-scales" infection on her caudal peduncle. These were taken just a few hours before she died, BTW. Note patch of red at the point between her belly and her peduncle...

IMG_3584.jpg

IMG_3580.jpg

subsequently, when I acquired my current shorttail ryukins (the red/white ones in my sig), they also got the same infection. As I said, Melafix did the trick of reversing their steady decline (and believe me when I say they looked terrible before the treatment, fins all streaking with angry veins and frayed, and their slime coat looking sandpapered away). As of present, I take the precaution of dosing the tank with Melafix with the addition of new fish. The mystery infection never showed up again.

Just a note on Melafix, don't rely on it to resolve internal bacterial infections - it's basically a disinfectant that can help repair surface trauma, just like when we dab teatree oil on a wound. If it's a bacterial infection that includes stringy poop, redness and lethargy - dose with something stronger or feed medicated food :)

Fred, I think the medicated food has helped him and i'd continue to feed for the minimum 10 days (I'd go for 14 myself).

I'm glad he's doing better :)

well... I do agree Melafix isn't a cure-all for every infection, but from what I observed from this particular type of infection, it appears to be completely a dermal/external thing. Which is why it won't really require the "big guns" in antibiotic medication. The fish continue to eat and act normally (with the possible exception that they clamp their pelvic fins closed) but the slime coat becomes severely affected. As an additional benefit for this specific case, the Melafix aids in quicker regeneration of the slime coat and any secondary infection which could attack the exposed skin could be pre-empted.

Archived