Suitable Filters...

koikitten

Well, Rhythm's doing fabulous. I tried the 10g whisper internal filter on the ten gallon tank he's in, but it turned out to be too strong for him. I found him being sucked in my the filter and the tip of his tail "eaten" off.

So, I need a new filter. What filters have worked for other betta keepers? It's a US 10 gallon set-up, and I'd prefer for the filter to be internal if possible.

:) I am not fimilar with the Whisper filters so I can not compare it to what I have. I have a 10 gal tank with one Betta and a few snails. I run a Penguin 150 in it. The betta does fine. I did put extra filter material in it to slow the flow of water done a bit.

Hope this helps!

I use Fluval 1plus filters in my betta tanks.I have never had any probs with my bettas being sucked in or anything with them.

For all my betta tanks I use filters that are aprroved for only half the size of the tank. Example: 10 gallon filter on a 20 gallon tank or 5 gallon filter on a 10 gallon tank. It means more water changes but my bettas like the weak current.

correct me if I am wrong everyone , but I think the stingray ones are undergravel filters. For a betta they wold probably be o.k. But with the undergravel filters they tend to make stuff collect on the bottom of the tank , hence the undergravel name. An undergravel filter might be good for a 1or 2 gallon but for anything bigger in my oppinion they are useless. I would do what Sushi does with her filters. Just use a size that is half the strength of you tank size for you betta.

I think "Stingray" filters are the ones made by Hagen/Fluval and are actually ordinary, internal power filters, these may be suitable for a betta tank if you use a small one - in fact I seem to remember other members have used this model in their betta tanks before too. I seem to remember the biggest problem with these filters is the smallish filter media and inclusion of carbon, although I think you can customize it with more sponge to grow bio-bugs on if you want to :)

Are these the ones you mean?

http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/product.cf...=01001400030401

http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/product.cf...=01001420030401

I have always wondered about those Mr.B. Do they really perform well?

I've never used one Kris, but I gather there are a few members on here who do because I remember seeing them in their betta pictures.

Hagen uses the filters modern design and shape as a selling point, not sure I like it personally though. Another complaint I've heard of from time to time is problems with the filter media, something about there not being enough space for bio-bugs - although probably very good for a single Betta I would of thought.

I think they are quite reliable though. They are the new range of smaller internal filters Hagen does, although many of us still have the Fluval plus range. Like Blue, I use the Fluval plus 1 in my betta tanks and they work well with Bettas in tanks of around 5-10 gallons, in anything smaller it would probably be too much though.

Now who is it that has one of these in their Betta tank, I just can't remember... :hummm Whoever it is will be able to give a better account of how well they work specifically with bettas :)

thanks Mr. B. that gives me some idea. Zeke is going into a 2.5 minibow this weekend and the person selling it to me is including a hob filter, just concerned it would take up too much swimming room

I have a stingray 15, though it is not in a betta tank. The problem with the stingrays is that they don't have a great deal of room for media and the layout for the media is a bit strange. I'm not sure if it works very well because I have another filter in there with it. It does come with carbon/zeolite cartridges that clip in. I removed these and stuffed some ceramic rings in there but couldn't fit in many at all and this was in the 15. To be honest I would use a fluval 1 plus over a stingray. If you stick a fluval 1 plus in the corner of the tank it will leave the rest of a ten gallon pretty quiet. I've found the stingrays take up quite a lot of room while not actually having that much room for media beacuse of the odd shape. It also seems to vibrate more than the fluval I have too.

Hope this helps a little.

Archived