Playing In The Waterfall

denniss

Everytime that I do water changes (bucket method), all of my fish come rushing out to play in the "waterfall." This includes my normally shy Siamese Algae Eater. The fish hang and romp in the current and bubbles.

I normally put water in a few degrees cooler than the tank temperature, but not enough to change the temperature. So is it the cooler water, high oxygen level, water movement, cleaner water, or just the party atmosphere that they like? I wonder, and is there a message here?

Do your fish to this? What do you think?

Dennis

mine do it too. it's like it's a kind of water ride for them! so funny to watch. it's the same as playing in the bubbles and filter outflow i suppose, i guess they just like the current and bubbles that are created when you pour the water in.

I wonder if there's a reflex mechanism that fish have about swimming AGAINST currents. I notice it when I have to move fish between containers, sometimes if I just "pour" them into a new container they'll try desperately to swim against the current.

Sort of like the way our legs jerk when something hits our knees.

my fish do it too. they swim up and then get forced down and they do it over and over again :krazy:

What's the bucket method?

when you use a python to drain the water into the bucket and when you use the bucket to put clean water in to fill up the tank. :exactly

Oh, because I always syphon out the old water, and then syphon it back it. It takes ages, but I always thought pouring it in was a bit brutal.

What's the bucket method?

when you use a python to drain the water into the bucket and when you use the bucket to put clean water in to fill up the tank. :exactly

when you dont have a python the 'bucket method' is syphoning the waste and water out of the tank into buckets and pouring it away, and then filling the buckets with water and dechlor and pouring them into the tank. Takes ages but is good excerise and i like being able to measure the dechlor exactly, bucket by bucket.

Everytime that I do water changes (bucket method), all of my fish come rushing out to play in the "waterfall." This includes my normally shy Siamese Algae Eater. The fish hang and romp in the current and bubbles.

I normally put water in a few degrees cooler than the tank temperature, but not enough to change the temperature. So is it the cooler water, high oxygen level, water movement, cleaner water, or just the party atmosphere that they like? I wonder, and is there a message here?

Dennis

Mine do this every time. They also like to swim against the current of the filter outlets for some reason. I guess it's good exercise for them..

My fish, at first, fled and hid under plants when I added the buckets of water.

Now they dart over to play in it immediately.

They also took awhile to get used to swimming through the bubble wand, and approaching my hand at feeding time, so it might partially be a case of knowing it won't hurt them, first, and -then- natural instincts kicking in?

:) I would always try to be real careful when adding water as I did not want the force of the water to push the fish into the bottom of the tank, but the fish would always come to the point of where the water was hitting the hardess and stay there. :yikes Like it was their very own shower.

Now I just add the water and let them go where they want because there was no stopping them.

Dennis

Mine do this every time. They also like to swim against the current of the filter outlets for some reason. I guess it's good exercise for them..

AHHHH the specialities of owning the Gold. Yes they love the freshness- in fact - since punch was young- I actually fed him in the waterrfall- a small one where the food was forced down - enough for him to learn to catch it before it got to the bottom- even with their limited eyesight- he prefers to be fed there- I believe the bubbles and water movememt feels good on their skin - take a look at my video - where light touch to the undersurface of the chin and belly area gives them great satisfaction. These creatures have more sensitivity than we give them credit for.

Eric

Eric - Simply amazing piece of video! Who would have thought that fish respond to physical touching like this? A physical response (like itching/scratching), or is it mental/emotional? Regardless, this is clearly a case of implicit faith and trust.

Dennis

Dennis

I have found that adding water in that fashion actually streesses out the fish and can lead to things l;ike condstipation- in which I have reverted to a suction line on my filter system that adds new water indirectly thru the filtration system- a cheap and easy method to resuce the stress- take the bucket and setiit just slightly higher than the tank water- get a 1/4 or 3/8ths plastic tube and allow the water to siphon in to the tank at that slow ratethat way the shock of temp change is reduced and- as well- the harshness of the bucket brigade water addition- a little extra time is allowing the water to ghet ionto the tank slowly will save a lot of headaches.

Eric - Simply amazing piece of video! Who would have thought that fish respond to physical touching like this? A physical response (like itching/scratching), or is it mental/emotional? Regardless, this is clearly a case of implicit faith and trust.

Dennis

Thanks- I will be posting a clearer video- - giving a better idea that at no time am i squeezing him or holding him back- and when he flutters once and a while it is to position himself in a better fashion- because I make it sa point to give him assurance that he can leave my hand at any time- as you can see he sets himself up in my palm before I close around him for massage time. His heart- at first - each timne is really beating but after a few strokes he settles back in dreamland. Whast is facinating to me is a vibration interaction he shares with me to indoiicate pleasure or satisfaction- when made stronger means his displeasure when i am ignoring him to getr some plants in lol.... What is more facinating to me is that- under normal circumstances - any fish generally would wake up quickly and go crazy were you to put a hand in as he is sleeping - in Punches case- he is in his coma - I place my hand in- and he slowly comes out of his coma and stays in my hand while being carassed- as he is comming out of his sleep coma- clearly there is some foundation that may indicate that he has an over-ride control - of sorts-= on how his natural instincts and reactions come into play in various situations- yes _ I am very facinated- and also a little concerned- we have a very good bond and it is getting better- but fish have so many things going against them as far as diseases, etc- My heart would be in poieces- if something were to happen to Punch- The last thing I ever thought was to have a " fish attachment" of sorts lol!!!!

Archived