Bubble's Wen Is Out Of Control

Katrina

Bubble's wen used to just sit on top of his head, you could easily see the side of his face and his eyes when you looked at him front on. The past few months his wen has gotten bigger and bigger, from a front on view you can't see his eyes and his wen rather than just perching on top seems to go a bit to the sides plus it has grown higher too.

Bubble's body and fins however, does not seem to have grown much.

What foods are best for body, tail and fin growth? I figure if his body starts to catch up, his wen might not cover his eyes so much, plus he will look more in proportion.

Currently I feed my fish a mix of Tetrafin goldfish flakes, Nutrafin floating pellets (but I soak them & the flakes to make them sink), Wardleys spirulina discs, HBH vege flakes, peas (2-3 times per week), frozen goldfish food (rarely though, just as a treat). They get the flakes and spirulina most.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Hehe, usually people try to go the OPPOSITE way! But I guess you could try lowering his protein consumption, but the food you've listed doesn't really sound protein-rich at all (maybe except the frozen food). So I'm not sure what to tell you.

I'm extremely new to this and don't even consider myself a novice yet, but I have noticed one thing. Since I started feeding my goldies frozen: brine shrimp, blood worms, daphina and hikari pellets, fruits and they seem to have exploded (size wise as well as color). My teensy little fish are now HUGE! Ok well except for Speck, but I think its genetic for him.

The other day I was sure if I watched one specific tank long enough they would grow right before my very eyes! I can't say for sure that its the foods but I'm sure the high protein/leafy green diet is definately part of it.

Can you post link that has a current photo?

Bubble's wen used to just sit on top of his head, you could easily see the side of his face and his eyes when you looked at him front on. The past few months his wen has gotten bigger and bigger, from a front on view you can't see his eyes and his wen rather than just perching on top seems to go a bit to the sides plus it has grown higher too.

Bubble's body and fins however, does not seem to have grown much.

What foods are best for body, tail and fin growth? I figure if his body starts to catch up, his wen might not cover his eyes so much, plus he will look more in proportion.

Currently I feed my fish a mix of Tetrafin goldfish flakes, Nutrafin floating pellets (but I soak them & the flakes to make them sink), Wardleys spirulina discs, HBH vege flakes, peas (2-3 times per week), frozen goldfish food (rarely though, just as a treat). They get the flakes and spirulina most.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

those foods u fed em ,we dont feed em for wen here....... give us a picture of ur fish~ growing wen is a good thing.........

Young growing fish (really all animals including us humans too) need a lot of protein to build muscle and body mass. So I'd recommend switching to a higher protein food, and cutting back on the carbs and veggies. Omega One sinking goldfish pellets contain 33% protein (it's actually labelled 'Natural Protein Formula') and my fish love it and seem to be growing well, so I'd recommend that for your guys.

I feed my fish sinking Nutrafin pellets...they are amazing. Not only do my fish grow like WEEDS, but their wens are kind of out of control too. I need to get some before and after pictures of Jerry, my oranda, to show everyone His wen has grown so much that his eyes are almost covered, and his size is about tripple from when I got him less than a year ago. If the wen gets really out of control I think I may have to put him to sleep and trim it..not something I'm looking forward to! I think there are articles on that here if you have to do it as well, or there may be a vet or someone in your area who can.

chrissy

I forgot to mention we have 2 fish and the other fish her wen is sooooooo tiny you can barely see it and her wen has not been growing at all, but her body has grown heaps, she is so big now compared to when we got her.

Do different foods make different part of their bodies grow (ie. wen versus body)? If so, how do I tell what food does what?

I will try to get a current picture so I can post and you can see the difference but he is a little camera shy.

Food-wise I just looked at the labels, the min. crude protein levels are 42%, 36%, 34%, 32% (for the goldfish flakes, sprulina, pellets, vege flakes). The frozen food they only get a tiny piece once a week as a treat, although I have just found a place that sells Aquaone frozen blood worms so I am thinking of buying them some of that, not sure how often I should feed it to them if I buy it.

Currently my fish get 2-3 meals/day. Usually one quarter of a spirulina disc each (hand-fed to them to make sure Bubble gets his share as he is a bit slower) plus a mix of some goldfish flakes and vege flakes (generous pinch I guess) to share for breakfast and for dinner. 2-3 times/week at breakfast they get some of the goldfish pellets instead of flake and then peas (2 baby peas each) instead of spirulina for dinner. My fish are about 10cm from nose to tail, so about 6-7cm from head to end of body, plus another few cm in tail. I'm not sure whether I am feeding them too much or too little or whether this is the right combination so any advice would be great. They always try their luck for more by wiggling at us, but they only wiggle really frantically first thing in the morning and around dinner time.

Archived