Your Never Believe It But...............

Guest urbanangel85

Guest urbanangel85
:blink: never would have believed it myself if i hadnt seen it happen. :blink: but its true ...my white cloud mountain minnow has change sex!!! she was a female and now she a male,im sure of it.has anyone ever heard of this happening before or am i going crazy????

Guest urbanangel85

it was definately a female before and she had a big round belly that hung low,with dull colours was slightly smaller than the rest.she lived with 2 males up untill yesterday when i put a few new females in.she stayed the same for weeks and now ,over the last few days, has completely changed. she is much bigger,has no belly what so ever,her colours are really bright and she looks the same as the other two males. at first i really doubted it too,but since i put the other females in i've really noticed it.i think its cos i can compare her to the other females,and thats excately what she looked like ,until about ,maybe, 4-5 days ago.now you would think straight off she was a male.its so werid!!!

i actually don't think this is too shocking. there are quite a few types of fish (not sure if the white cloud mountain minnow is one) that change sex depending on the ratio of males to females in their little school. i know that there are quite a few cichlids that will change. usually if there are too many females, the "alpha female" or the largest female will change sex to a male. it happens when many of the males die off or there just aren't enough males. so this may be what happened with your fish. i'd do some research on whether or not it's common with the white cloud mountain minnow though. :) i also don't know if they ever change back... i think it's just a one way road but yeah, i hope this helps!

As already stated many breeds of fish chnge sex Clown Fish and swordtails are two breeds I am aware of.To my knowledge white clouds don't do this.

Maybe she spawned which is why the eggs arent filling her out anymore.. and becaue you added more fish, so a bigger school, means happier fish, which means brighter colours.. just my little theory there :D

Guest urbanangel85

yeah thats what i thought at first.but i looked everywhere,and i watch my tank thoroughly everyday,and there was never any eggs.i guess we'll never know!

Guest urbanangel85

actually coming go think of it the water change before the last ,in the filter sponge was tiny ,lil ,round,pinkish balls.i never really knew wht it was,just thought it was something like algea or bacteria grouping together.god ,im thicker than i thought i was.the only thing is her colours were getting brighter a day or so before more females were added. but still i think sandys right,lucy sussed it.from now on i will call you 'Detective lucy'. xxx

Archived