New Blackmoore To Live With My Common&shubunkin...

Guest urbanangel85

Guest urbanangel85
:newfish hello everyone! yesterday i purchased a beautiful lil blackmoore and i have put him into the tank with my common and bristol shubunkin.he looks healthy and aware,and seems to have settled in okay.but i was just wondering if these fish were compatible ???( its prob' posted somewhere on here but i couldnt find it ). you see my common used to kinda bully the shubunkin,but i never was really sure if it was bullying or just flirting :rofl ,so ive added the blackmoore as someone said another fish could make it ease off a bit.plus when i saw the blackmoore i fell in love :heart . well the common has kinda eased off the shubunkin,but it stilll happens.and i was shocked to see the shub' bullying the blackmoore.not bad bulling ,just blocking his way and slightly nipping his fins,thats the bit i dont like,as he has beautiful fins.but again im not sure if its bullying or if he's mistaking him for food??? at first the common just kinda ignored him,but then late this evening i noticed him sorta sitting on him.lol. i shouldnt laugh really,but it was kinda funny.the poor lil blackmoore (i say lil but he's really not that much smaller than them)was down in the bottom,frount corner and the common was right above him and wouldnt let him out for at least a good 20-30 seconds.it happened about 3 times.is this behavour something to worry about? or are they just re-establishing pecking order? i mean the shubunkin was okay before as he really wasnt bullied badly and it never seemed to bother him,so i wonder if i done the wrong thing by adding another.but the blackmoore doesnt really seemed stressed by it at all,but then im not an expert at this things.sorry to have ranted but any help is greatly appreciated.cheers xxx

Guest urbanangel85

no not any more (well i hope not!) i still got the minnows in the 10 liter but now have my other 3 in a 64 litre tank,they were in a 21 litre. do you think thats enough?my beautiful new tank was a gift from my friends sister. she has had it up and running for 5 weeks now,its beautiful.she had her new fish in quaurentine and they all died before they even got in the tank :( . i told her to keep it cos i felt abit uncomfortable taking it.but she said she couldnt ever face losing anymore fish again.its sad really. she really shouldnt have gone to the place she brought the fish from,she wanted to 'save ' them though,bless her. i feel guilty saying it ,but i love my new tank. but love my new blackmoor even more,ah bless.xxx

64 liter is better than 21 liter, but not much better. 64 litres is only about 17 gallons or so, and since both shubunkin and comet needs at least 20 gallons each (when full-grown), you're overstocked by 2 fish.

They're all still small, right? Should be alright for a couple of months providing u keep the water parameters in range, but after that u might wanna look at bigger tanks of at least 40-50 gallons.

Commons/Comets/Shubunkins, really need to be kept with their own kinds.

Moors tend to have not as good eye sight as those two,and may have trouble when it comes to feeding time,and getting their fair share.Moors also swim alot slower,where Commons/Shubs are long bodied fast swimmers that need alot of swimming room.Any upgrade on a tank is always better,but I'm afraid that in all truth,the only one that should be in that tank,is your new Moor. This kind of situation sometimes brings eye injuries in such for fish like your Moor.There is just not enough of room for those type of fish all together in that size of tank. :unsure:

Guest urbanangel85

okay im worried now. yeah there still all small.i been checking the moor at feeding time and he's been getting his share. im really annoyed cos i ask the shop owner all this and he said it'll be fine. then i rung him today and asked him if he would take it back,but he said no because 'for a ?2.00 fish its to much effort&money to quarentine it'. i got a good new filter to go into it today,it cycles the whole tank once every 5minutes,so that good yeah??? the only other tank i can afford to get right now is a 14 liter,i know that tiny but would the moor be better in there till i can get a 50 gallon? how much is a 50 gallon, and would it go on a simple plywood desk?or would it be to heavy?

Archived