Cold Weather Tonight!

Erika

It's suppose to hit 8 F tonight. I'm going to plop the floating de-icer in to be safe, but I have yet to see ice anywhere in the pond even though it's been in the 20's and teens here! What temps are you guys seeing now?

recently its been mild. 10 through the day and 3 or 4 at night, thats celcius. Dont know what the pond is reading as i havent looked at it in weeks.

Indoor pool is at 10 and the fish still eat.

I just put the floating de-icer in in case the pond freezes tonight. It's a second hand de-icer, used one season, so I was afraid it wouldn't work, but I plugged it in and it started right up. It was covered in snow from being on my patio table and it melted it within a few seconds. Jon and I are going to do the last bit of work to the pond tomorrow (get more leaves out of the bottom and set the submersible de-icer and remove the filtration system) SHould be fun with 10 inches of snow on the ground. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know how important it is to have a perfectly clean bottom to the pond? I have lots of spots with leaf piles and random junk. I know there's no way I'll be able to get everything.

Well, I don't think my pond is going to freeze at all. I just checked the temp and it is holding at 48 degrees. We haven't had a day above freezing in a week now, and nighttime temps have been in the single digits. It's 13 degrees right now. I can't believe it. Do you think I should be feeding them since it's so close to 50? Or will they be ok not eating all winter in water that's this warm?

Do you still see them swimming about? If they come to the surface while you are there then try with one or two pellets and if they dont eat them in half an hour then remove.

When I go down i dont see any of my fish in the pond, but the water is reading 4c. Hope they arent dead :(

When I go down i dont see any of my fish in the pond, but the water is reading 4c. Hope they arent dead sad.gif

They're not dead Sands, they're just down there deep, I promise! The only way I still see mine is because my pond is built right next to the house, and I can stand on the stoop and look down on it. I come out with a flashlight at night when I'm stealing a smoke and I shine it down and see them. Mine definetly aren't coming up expecting to be fed, so I guess I'll just leave them be. If they do get hungry, there's algae in there yet.

Did I tell you guys that one of my fish went missing a couple weeks ago? It was Lucky, the bag of bones baby koi that I rescued last year. The day after Thanksgiving I took the net off the pond and I was netting some crud out of the bottom and I figured I didn't need the net anymore since no more leaves were falling. The next morning I was missing him. I guess a coon or a hawk got him somehow (although I don't see how as he hadn't come up to the top in weeks). I was so ticked. Still am. I went all summer with no problems, no net. Then I go one day (night) without it and one of my favorite fish is gone. He had grown almost 8 inches and was nice and fat. I was really looking forward to next year to see how big he'd get. Blasted raccoon. I have yet to see one in my neighborhood though. :(

I guess it's possible, we do have these neighbors that have a cat down the street and it's allowed to run loose. I just have such a hard time believing that something could have done it. We have a 7 foot fence, and I'm sure something can climb it, but the only animals I've ever seen in this yard are the ones that belong here! Either way, the net went back on immediately, and I haven't seen any signs of anyone tampering with it.

Maybe he's still just hiding? I've had some go missing only to reappear later. You never know.

Our pond always has piles of leaves and crud on the bottom, especially after the nasty wind storms we've had lately. It is good to get as much of that junk out as you can because the leaves can rot and turn nasty and anaerobic. I've heard stories of hydrogen sulfide poisoning where junk accumulated on the bottom of the pond over winter, and then in the spring when it was stirred up, all the hydrogen sulfide bubbles were released adn then poisoned the fish.

I'm wondering too how hard the sudden temperature fluctuations are on our fish. Our temp has risen about 20 degrees from last week, and it constantly changes this time of year! Last year my fish spawned a couple days before Christmas because it suddenly went from almost freezing to like 65?! They don't really seem able to hibernate here becaucse they still come up on warm afternoons.

Archived